Thrown Rod

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, yeah its true. The $77.50 7.3 motor I bought has a rod broken. I pulled the heads and found water in every cylinder because the injectors had been pulled. I was able to break it loose and start turning it thru till it stopped. I noticed cylinder 5 piston not moving. So off came the pan. While I was pulling the pan I saw a very tiny hole at the pan rail that had been "fixed" with some hammer work. Something you would have needed to scrape the dirt off of. I asked the owner why he pulled this motor. He said "because it had many miles on it." :backoff Damn liar..... Well enough for the bad news. The motor ran for some time but no real damage anywhere. The crank is fine, the bottom of the sleeve skirt is slightly chipped and an oil squirter is bent. So other than a bent rod and a broken rod all seems fine for a many miles motor. The rods were worn thru to the copper and it had a gasser thermostat in it. The cooling system was not kept up. No anti freeze was found in the motor. The small amount of water in the pan was probably rain water leaking past the rings. Only one intake port in the drivers side head on number 6 had water in it. All in all I couldn't have paid $77.50 for the parts alone. I will have the bolck pressure tested before I sleeve it or do any work on it. I have been looking for a rod cap because I bought a turbo rod set on Ebay some time back but 1 rod cap was missing so I needed 1 for a complete core set. Now I have that rod cap and I can turn this used set in and get another rebuilt set while Ford still has them. I can never have too many spare parts I guess. LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of where to drill the holes to check for cavitation. They tapped them to 3/8 pipe for plugs I had one cyl with a deep pit the others were fine so they sleeved only one. I will edit which cyl, it is 5 or 6. dont remember and its not in front of me.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 44

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be glad it sold low and didnt go into the hundreds for a junk motor.

I used to try to get used stuff for my road service business of eBay, I kept getting burned by junk. People were literally selling stuff that looked like it was dug out of a dumpster. So I spent the money and bought new that I knew was good.