Throwing in the towel... anybody want my IDI?

sootman73

Reaction score
i second the compression issue. with what your comp reults showed and the ease of it turning over in the video sounds like there is a compression issue which means you have other problems than just fuel timing... with no hiccup from ether especially. doesn't sound like a good motor to me...

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they are saying is:

1) Compression looks to be low, when you are cranking the engine should shake more and sound a little different. All of the ether might have dried up the cylinder walls and the rings may no longer be sealing. For this you can try and pull your glow plugs, put a lil oil in each hole and crank the motor to get the rings nice and lubed again. Then put glow plugs back and try again.

2) With no start, fuel timing might be off, so advance the pump towards the passenger side about a 1/16 in or a dimes with and see if it helps any.

3) With no smoke coming out the tail pipe while your cranking it, it seems to me that there is not enough fuel getting to the engine. When i crank my truck, say if its cold and i just crank, i will get a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
if his compression is low it probly wouldnt build enough heat in the cylinders to even begin to fire so no heat = no smoke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was looking at the viedo and I see smoke raising up from behind the injection pump area. Maehe oil fill cover was off and that was blowby... Or a starter beginingto leak smoke???:dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
oil on the cylinder walls wont make a 200 psi compression drop across four cylinders. he just touching the minimum cylinder pressure on the best cylinders. the engine is toast. poor oil, long change intervals, ether abuse. lots of things could be to blame.

you would have to fog the intake with ether to cleanse the cylinder walls. and for as much ashe's cranked the thing the oil pressure on slinging would have lubed everything up by now.

vt951, i'm sorry you have to listen to us kill your hopes even more but since you aren't devoted to this truck then you are doing the right thing. unless you are skilled enough to pull the motor and rebuild it. but from your previous posts it doesn't sound like you have that experience. this is an expensive motor to learn on too. sell it and keep your eyes peeled for the next idi that comes your way. theres plenty out there and maybe try with a running one?

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the viedo and I see smoke raising up from behind the injection pump area. Maehe oil fill cover was off and that was blowby... Or a starter beginingto leak smoke???:dunno

That smoke is coming out of the intake. I thought it was wierd, too. It does that every time I crank it (with the air cleaner off).

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My grandpas truck used to do that. You're getting fuel, because that's the fuel vapor coming out the intake. I still say timing is way off.

sootman73

Reaction score
but it sounds like the starter isn't even working. it spins over too easy to have enough compression to build the heat to ignite the fuel. like dyoung said. but you will still have smoke but its just unburnt fuel as the one bank is probably making enough in a few cylinders to make the smoke...

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is pending sale to a fellow OB member! Keeping it in the family. I'll let him reveal his identity when he chooses... he plans on swapping in a running 6.9 motor, so she will live again.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sell it and keep your eyes peeled for the next idi that comes your way. theres plenty out there and maybe try with a running one?

I just may do that... at least I am familiar enough with the motor now that I know what to look for when buying one (1st thing to look for: does it run? LOL). You guys have all been a tremendous help to me and I really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online