Thread to ask questions for my repower??

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea got that figured out but worked on other stuff today. I built me a power steering bracket and installed a few belts. I also found a drive shaft that will work in the truck just have to change my rear u joint. Not much done but still something is better than nothing. Trying to get the truck ready to go to the swapmeet at Decatur Tx next month.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and bought all the fluids for my engine tranny and power steering today and a few other little things. I installed the starter and a few other small things. I am down to only needing a lokar shifter and a flexible tranny dip stick and I will order that next week. I got my front end back on and for some reason I remembered that I didnt install the nuts that hold on the torque converter. I got under the truck and got the first one on and got up to turn engine and I could not turn it. I tried with a cheater bar and the impact and no luck budging it. This motor turned over fine a few months back when I was checking it over before starting to mess with it. This engine sat in storage for several years before I got it and cant figure it out. Do yall guys think that for some reason after I turned it over a few months back it got stuck due to it not having oil in it? I am going to get the starter hooked up to the batteries and tap it to see what happens. Should I take the glowplugs out and put some tranny fluid in the bores before I do this? How much torque should it take to turn over one of these engines? Sorry for all the questions but I have been very bummed since I figured this out.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
my healthy 7.3 turns over, its tight, i use my 3ft breaker bar and i can do it with one arm and i'm tiny. I can turn it over with a regular 1/2 ratchet with a little bit of difficulity. Pull the glow plugs to release compression and try and turn it again, if it doesn't budge, drop some thin oil/lubricant in each cylinder and let it sit. If the rings are stuck and you bump her over with the starter theres a good chance you can damage them.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try that with the glow plugs. If it still doesn't budge how much fluid should I put in each cylinder? It seems to cover the top of each piston I would have to have quite a bit in each because of the slant of the 90 degree block. Then if it doesn't go past the rings how will I get it out so id wont hurt when I do try to start. I have seen a bent rod in a gas engine because of to much fluid in cylinder on startup.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
once you get it moving, crank over with starter and gp's out. will push all fluid out. will make a mess of your fancy painted engine.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long did you let it sit before messing with it? Ive got to go to town to find me a real small funnel and some oil. I figure I will add some diesel and M&M to each one.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I went and bought all the fluids for my engine tranny and power steering today and a few other little things. I installed the starter and a few other small things. I am down to only needing a lokar shifter and a flexible tranny dip stick and I will order that next week. I got my front end back on and for some reason I remembered that I didnt install the nuts that hold on the torque converter. I got under the truck and got the first one on and got up to turn engine and I could not turn it. I tried with a cheater bar and the impact and no luck budging it. This motor turned over fine a few months back when I was checking it over before starting to mess with it. This engine sat in storage for several years before I got it and cant figure it out. Do yall guys think that for some reason after I turned it over a few months back it got stuck due to it not having oil in it? I am going to get the starter hooked up to the batteries and tap it to see what happens. Should I take the glowplugs out and put some tranny fluid in the bores before I do this? How much torque should it take to turn over one of these engines? Sorry for all the questions but I have been very bummed since I figured this out.

Is the torque converter fully seated in the tranny? If it's not, the converter will bind against the pump. Attempting to start the engine will destroy the pump and converter.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Good point, but even when i bound the converter up when i put my c6 in i could still turn the motor, but it was tiiiight.

Go under and see if you can rock the converter and see if the studs ting against the flexplate, IE make sure its not bound.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
loosen the nut off the flexplate, you don't need to remove. See if you can rock the converter back and forth a little bit. If you can, its good.