Thread to ask questions for my repower??

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i thought there was a check valve in the return line fitting? I don't have the spare pump handy to check, its at the shop.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a trickle coming out the return line fitting on the top. Should it be steady if I got 7lbs pressure going into the pump? I checked my tank and it was pressuring up for some reason even though I have a vented cap(took cap off). I am still not getting fuel at the injectors after about 10-15 20 second tries to start. I got antsy just wanting to hear it fire that I squirted a shot of either and it still did not do any thing. It is turning over fast enough to start and my glow plugs are working also. I am out of ideas except the pump is bad.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i wonder if the pump shaft sheared. even if the pump sheared it still should have fired with a little bit of ether.

Yes its gonna be a trickle not a steady stream coming out of it if its not running.

You did try cranking it at WOT?

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes wide open. When I sprayed the either in the turbo it turned over and then it acted like it was putting a strain on it then I quit trying to start it.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
btw i have a good reman spare pump on a shelf at the shop if you decide that your pump is indeed bad and u want to try.

use silicone spray or something along those lines instead of the either.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to buy one of the uhaul pumps tomorrow if I get payed for my ebay items this week. I have 5 pumps in the shop but I dont know the condition of any of them and I dont want to tear every thing down and it doesn't work. I think that two of my pumps are turbo ones also. I am getting fuel to the lines now but that is after 30-40 tries and I have never had a pump take any where this long to get primed. I was going to buy two at that $375 price but it looks like bull bought all them. You know that clear lines would make a big difference of trouble shooting the fuel system!;Sweet

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
when i swapped my pumps i primed it with the electric pump held my foot down and the 2nd try she was running. cleared up within a few minutes. I thought about buying one of those uhaul pumps but i got a set of injectors and glow plugs. my injectors are in dire need of replacement.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new injectors so I am assuming that my pump will not make enough pressure to fire them. I really didnt want to spend the money right now as I need to buy a lokar shifter and I would have had every thing to finish my truck.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got my new uhaul pump on today and got every thing cleaned up again. I let the battery's charge for a hour or so and turned it over 10 times or so and never even tried to bust off. I let the air out of the lines several times and locked them back down again. I tried spraying a hint of either in the turbo and still nothing. Is there something that has to be hooked up other than the hot to the pump? Not only that But I decided to put water in the engine and turn on the inline heater and the water pump leaks I think at the weep hole. :mad: Almost to the point of taking it to a diesel mechanic!

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Are you getting any smoke?

Got fuel to the IP and injectors?

How fast is it turning over?

Next time try advancing the timing a little.

I've had two engines do this same thing to me, the first one was getting ready to hydro lock (turned over REALLY slow) and the second one the timing was off, advanced the timing little over a thumb nails width and it took off.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not real fast and no smoke. When I add the either it seems to to to lock down. to advance do I go to the drivers side or passenger side?

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
To advance turn the IP to the passenger side.

Also if it's not turning over fast enough, it won't pop off (I found that out the hard way)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online