Thought I might get lucky, guess not...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well if any of you remember, in March or so, I had an incident where I thought I'd dropped a valve in my brown truck. Got the hair to tear into the thing today just to see what it looked like. Well there was no broken valve spring or hanging valve. Tore down the valve train thinking possibly it was bent push rods. Nope. no bent push rods, all valves are straight, put a machinists straight edge over all valve tops and every one of them have straight geometry.
Mel and everyone at the rally are stumped. They told me to reassemble it and do a compression test. I don't have a tester so I'll have to buy one. Had always thought about getting a HF brand cheapy with a snap on adapter until I could afford a good one, but they mentioned the HF gauge only lasts a couple tests and its done???

What's your thoughts on either issue.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, where to start. Is engine still in truck?
Have you inspected the lifters to see if any collapsed? Did you remove the heads and look at the pistons in case you chipped one? Have you checked your injectors? If none of those ideas pan out then you'll have to drop the pan and look around down there.
One last question. What was your oil pressure like before, during , and after your incident?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Well, where to start. Is engine still in truck?
Have you inspected the lifters to see if any collapsed? Did you remove the heads and look at the pistons in case you chipped one? Have you checked your injectors? If none of those ideas pan out then you'll have to drop the pan and look around down there.
One last question. What was your oil pressure like before, during , and after your incident?

X2

Now I really want to know what happened... The suspense is killing me:D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's the video of it in March.
You must be registered for see images attach

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know what the problem is and not to hyjack the thread or nothin but that gauge cluster you have is sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha, thanks man!
I made that for my 79 Z28 Camaro. First car show I brought it to after making it I was offered $1800 for it. lol

suv7734

Reaction score
What are the valve guides like? If you have an exhaust guide pounded out it can give you that sound in the exhaust.

pmelah

Reaction score
forget the guages (although they look cool)check out the bad mama jama rabbit he videod that joker tookafter that snake and didnt think twice but the snake did he got out of there that had to be one pissed off rabbit ps sorry i cant help i dont know what to think about that problem

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forget the guages (although they look cool)check out the bad mama jama rabbit he videod that joker tookafter that snake and didnt think twice but the snake did he got out of there that had to be one pissed off rabbit ps sorry i cant help i dont know what to think about that problem

HUH?!? :dunno

zpd307

Reaction score
check out another of his vids. its a rabbit that is chasing after and biting a snake.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
HAHA, rofl guys. I'd forgotten about having that video of that rabbit. lol Ya don't mess with'em Texas rabbits! The people have weird accents though... lol

To answer a few questions.
Im unsure of the valve guide condition. The motor is relatively low mile, less than 90k on the clock, but it was used and abused hauling 20k+lb trailers of hay for years before I got it.
I havent been brave enough to blip it at all to see what the exhaust would look like under that condition, guess I could though. It's only ran a total of about 2 minutes since the issue arose, and only at idle then. It does go puff puff though at idle.
I always forget about cracking fuel lines, I could try that too.