Thought I might get lucky, guess not...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea. The guy local that is going to rebuild my heads when I get the money said he could easily do them for less than $200 unless we got into replacing valve sets.
I remember when my dad was working on my grandpas truck when I was real young, he reused the valley pan as well. Everytime I've done it I ruin them though. The slightest crease in the intake runners and they're no good, especially for a turbo, which if I get past this hurdle Im going to install.
Gonna go non intercooled moose tuned until next summer, that is if I can get past this one... small... hurdle.

The valve covers are just bolted down without any gaskets at the moment, until I decide what Im going to do. So no biggie taking them back off. lol.
I was able to slightly push down on a couple of the valves, my brother could do all of them, but he's a bull and could break me in half if he wanted to so he doesn't count.
So I know I need to rebuild these heads. Im just trying to get me some wheels back, instead of my 79 Z, don't like driving that a whole lot.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wont have to replace seats, even of they are low it wont hurt because you are going to turbo and the tiny loss of compression wont hurt. If they need to replace valve guides let me know and I will tell you the only brand to use on diesel, they are hi silicon bronze material from Germany that a company in AZ machines.
found it
http://www.precisionengineparts.com/valve_guides.php

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Alright you've pretty much convinced me.
I have one last decision to make, can ARP studs be reused?
I also wish there was a way of installing my new oil pump without pulling the engine.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright you've pretty much convinced me.
I have one last decision to make, can ARP studs be reused?
I also wish there was a way of installing my new oil pump without pulling the engine.

Unbolt the shroud then front cab bolts and the 2 core support bolts to frame. Undo any shfter or mechanical clutch linkage then jack up front of cab and put blocks between frame and cab. Unbolt engine mounts then use engine hoist to jack up engine. Unbolt oil pan and there should be enough clearance for the pan to fall out without removing pump pick up tube.