Thinking of 5.9 any advice?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of going to the dark side in the future and swaping a 5.9 in place of my 7.3, figure if I'm going to do it down the road I better learn about it now.

What do guys normaly swap into a ford? 12v or 24V?

What all is requred for the swap?

What 5 speed does dodge normaly run behind it or what is best? I have a zf in my truck now.

There is a 12V on craigslist in my area with a hole in the block, it is complete with the turbo and all the brackets and accesories, says it has a P pump on it whatever that is, could probably get it for $500. does that sound like a good starting point to get some good parts and brackets accumulated?

Thanks for any and all advice (criticsm for even thinking about this is welcome too :rolleyes:)

Thanks,

-Rob

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a running 95 12v for $900 with turbo p pump and all the brackets,, i went to ford cummins.com and got an pilot bushing for the flywheel and adapter to use my zf5, and also the motor mounts and most the adapters need to make all the gauges in the dash work... if u go with an intercooled one then u will need a 99 or newer psd intercooler and fab up some charge pipes... shorten the rear drive shaft and length the front... the 12 valve is by far the easiest to to no computer todeal with like the 24v and much easier and cheaper to mod and get big hp out of

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I was thinking about going 12v in my 86(for simplicity) but i just didnt want a me too cummins conversion.(and run junk chrysler accessories) So i am going to a PSD;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
12v = Mechanical injection
24v = Computer controlled - will be much more expensive to make the swap and also much more expensive to turn her up when you want more power.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 12 valve it is. Does the craigslist engine sound like a good buy if I can get it for $500? From what I hear the P pump alone is almost that expensive.

What about difficulty of rebuilding, I rebuilt my 7.3, is the 5.9 any more difficult?

Should I plan on using my ZF or can the dodge 5 speeds take much more abuse, I think I have the weaker of the two ZF's mine is out of an 89 but I have a 12" clutch.

Thanks again,

-Rob

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Biggest problem with the NV4500 is the 5th gear back off. But from everything I have read get THISshaft and install it - you can rebuild the NV4500 in an afternoon even for the most inexperienced guy (I did it in a few hours and had never had a manual apart before).

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I didn't get that shaft because of the cost, quite frankly I was low on money at the time and thought "well I can a new shaft off ebay for a hundred bucks - what could be the difference".... well I have had to put 5th back on 2 times since the rebuild and now it's off again.... as soon as I have the money I'm getting the TorqueKing shaft. It's 600 clams if you don't want the tools to go along with it and quite frankly you don't need the tools a pipe wrench works just fine for tightening up the 5th gear nut.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Also, I have a 1st gen cummins 89-93 which comes with a rotary pump not a P pump. It is just as simple as the p-pump but makes less hp, I couldn't be happier with the power I have on the truck, now it feels as strong as it looks. I use it to work and even dough the IDI always got the job done, this one does it too just faster, now if You are in search for high power then get a 2nd gen 94-98.5.

Give Yourself a favor and stay away from computers, believe Me there is lots of torque to be had with this with out them.

As far as trannys, I have a getrag 5spd. Not very famous for its reliability but I like the fact I can rebuild it at home in a short time like I did before I put the cummins in My truck so far it is doing great I heard the nv4500 is better (except for that 5th gear) but the price I got mine for was right so I went for it even dough I was looking for a 2nd gen first.

Also the guys at fordcummins are good just don't listen and keep the ford alt, the mounts they have are not the best but cheaper by far and they will tell You to keep the zf. Now looking back I would have kept it unless I had a nv4500 tranny.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at NV4500's last night, it looks prety pricey unless I find a deal somewhere. Would my transfer case even bolt up to an NV4500?

With that being said I will probably stick with the zf untill a deal comes along, is there anything that can be done to make a zf stronger? What usualy breaks in a zf?

Also, what is needed to mate the zf to a 2nd gen 5.9, an adapter plate? Can I use the same clutch and flywheel or is all that different on the cummins?

-Rob

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yea. Change your name. :backoff

;p

LOL

Maybe this belongs to the conversion forum now but...

To mate the zf You need flywheel clutch and pressure plate from the cummins engine. For this You can call southbend. The zf is plenty strong, You don't need to do anything to it unless You are going for big time HP in which case any tranny will have trouble with eventually.

The nv4500 cost around $1500 rebuild or You can just buy a core somewhere and rebuild it Yourself. Kits are on ebay all the time.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean you don't need an adapter to bolt the ZF to a Cummins? Also I hear the ZF5 is a pretty tough tranny to rebuild if you're inexperienced.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'd hate to lose the close ratios of the ZF42 (4.14 first)... especially with the lower rpm range of the 6BT. I think the best compromise is a Superduty ZF 6spd.