Thinking of 5.9 any advice?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You mean you don't need an adapter to bolt the ZF to a Cummins? Also I hear the ZF5 is a pretty tough tranny to rebuild if you're inexperienced.

Yes, You definitely need the adapter. I only attempted to rebuild the getrag so far and it was fairly easy and very forgiving. Other members here have done the zf, haven't anyone post back on the results yet. The tranny shop I talk to helped Me with everything and the guy said once You rebuild one manual the rest are about the same :dunno.

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 F250 shorty excab 4X4 started out life with a 460.

I bought it with a 96 12valve and NV5600 (6 speed) tranny already installed.

with 355 gears I can cruise I5 at 70 mph and get 24 to 25 mpg. About 5k miles ago, we did a headgasket that was leaking coolant, at which time we installed ARP headstuds.
Try and stay away from the "#53 blocks" as they are prone to cracking, also be sure to address the KILLER DOWL PIN which will destroy a front timing case if it backs out.

You may also want to upgrade your axles to a Dana 60 front and Dana 80 rear.

I absolutely love my truck and it gets plenty of compliments

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, I've started looking for a 5.9, dana 60 front, and NV4500 if I can find a deal or possibly the zf6 from a superduty as mentioned before.

I've read about the KDP and the 53 block, why the dana 80 rear, whats in my truck now? Will a cummins munch it?

-Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent