Thinking about a WMO set up.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So I am thinking about a WMO set up since I seem to have allot, and all of my friends seem to be happy collecting theirs for me since it will save them from trying to figure out what to do with it. I get a pretty much unlimited supply of 5 gal buckets, and 55 gal food grade plastic drums, and a limited supply of 55 gal steel drums from work. Also I give most of these drums to a company that "re purposes them" and I could get some free IBC totes as well, but I don't have the room for them. Space will be critical for this build!

I am drawing most of my insperation from two threads here from towcat, and from EMD_DRIVER.

So what I would like to do is run a 3 filter set up. Copying Most of tow cats set up using WIX filters and bases. The filters will be mounted using a WIX 24770, with these 3 filters in this order: WIX33439 (14 mic), WIX33374 (6 mic), and a WIX33674 (2 mic).

First I will strain the oil as I load it into my "settling tank" (a steel 55g drum) using a paint strainer. Than I will close the drum off and use compressed air to force the WMO through the filtration system to a plastic (clean) 55g drum above the settling tank. At this height I should be able to gravity feed the clean drum into my truck.

Problems I expect to run into: Not sure how well using air pressure to force oil through the filters will work, but it should only take 10 PSI or so to get it moving just depends on how fast the filters plug. I will have to do more research to figure out how much pressure I can force into a steel drum, but if I can use air pressure than I don't need to buy a pump to move the oil.

Also, I live in CO where it will get cold enough that the oil will not flow in the winter. After reading EMD's thread I decided that I will probably mix Kerosene in before filtering so its easier on the filters, and should make it a little easier to run in cooler temps.

Let me know what you guys think!!

PZ

Edit: In case anyone is wondering the wix part number for a filter base for the 7.3idi, and 7.3 PSD oil filters is 24746. I am considering using this as a straining filter, because straining from a 5 gallon bucket to a 5 gallon bucket through a t-shirt sucks.

Last edited:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Howdy,

I don't know how well a bubbler will work through used motor oil, it tends to be more viscous than waste vegetable oil.

The maximum psi for a steel drum is about 10 psi - they can and do bulge as well - it is reported to be a dangerous proposition. You're probably better off using a vessel that is made for pressure, like a propane tank.

Just a thought.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
propane tank, water heater tank or a well expansion tank can take the pressure you are talking about with no problem. i would not try it on a regualer steel drum that is asking for trouble. no need to blow a seam with 55 gallons to clean up.

i am a big fan of air pressure to move oil though, no pump to burn out if it plugs up. i know i usually run in the 30 psi range to push through a 10 mic goldenrod then a 1 mic house filter.

if you are filtering WMO it does not gell up like WVO, it gets a little harder to push cold but not nearly as bad.

i would suggest somthing a little better than a paint strainer to prefilter, i have have a blue jean pants filter set up. gets a lot of stuff out for cheap, and i can rinse it out to re-use if i am filtering WVO. if not they are cheap and plentiful at thrift shops.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I was worried about the pressure in a 55 gal drum, but I figured it would be able to take 10 psi. I don't have a free source of pressure vessels. I HAD a hot water heater a few months ago from when mine died, but I trashed it!

I am now thinking maybe some larger diamter PVC pipe, but if I remember right its only rated for pressure up to 3 inch? It would be very cheap, and it would allow me to add fittings very very easily!

I went to the paint store last night to look at strainers. Like was stated above I don't think they will get the job done. I have a bag of old t-shirts that I am going to strain through first.

I just keep getting more and more crazy ideas!

PZ

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a low heat source of some kind. I've been looking at that to make things flow better. I have a heat tape I'm gonna rig up for cold weather, I've seen the "pad" type heaters.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for bringing up my filtration rig in discussion;Sweet

I do need to point out that my "system" is geared towards WMO only. the reason why is WVO availability in my area sucks. I am putting a prefilter/strainer assy due to the fact I have found the prefilter on the Facet pump is a ***** to clean up. I will post any new lessons learned in the future:eek:

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score

I do need to point out that my "system" is geared towards WMO only. the reason why is WVO availability in my area sucks. I am putting a prefilter/strainer assy due to the fact I have found the prefilter on the Facet pump is a ***** to clean up. I will post any new lessons learned in the future:eek:

This is why I was looking at paint strainers. Cheap and disposable.

However after looking at them they will pretty much suck for straining, and that is why I am going to old t-shirts. I have a bunch my wife wants me to get rid of so I will just use them. I suppose I can clean them in the parts cleaner, and re-use them as well.

I have come up with a really really need idea to pressurize my settling tanks to get the oil to flow through the filters and into the clean holding tank! I need to do some calculations for how much oil it will hold, but it should do the trick, and it should have allot of cool features. However before I built it I want to prove that I can get oil to flow through the filters by pushing it with pressure, and how much pressure it takes to push it.

I will be updating the plumbing for my air system in my garage at the same time to help reduce the load on the compressor. Looking at building a new compressor while I am at it!

PZ

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

I tried pushing WMO through a regular 55 gallon drum with air and almost had a catastrophe. I ended up using a power steering pump. It works great.. It's slow, but hasn't failed me after two years of use. I just need to watch the pre-filter pressure. I don't yet have a pressure limit switch :dunno and the gauge lets me know when it's filter change time....

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
what type of gauge do you use? Have you had any problem with the PVC in your set up?

PZ

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
what type of gauge do you use? Have you had any problem with the PVC in your set up?

PZ

The gauge I use is just a standard pressure gauge from Lowes.

Part number 64124..

Absolutely no problems out of the PVC, that I used on my rig...

jrussell

Reaction score
There is a TON of great info about WMO over on the TDS forum if you want to check that out to. I float between here and there and both sites have alot of great stuff. Good luck with whatever you choose. ;Sweet

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Howdy,

I don't know how well a bubbler will work through used motor oil, it tends to be more viscous than waste vegetable oil.

The maximum psi for a steel drum is about 10 psi - they can and do bulge as well - it is reported to be a dangerous proposition. You're probably better off using a vessel that is made for pressure, like a propane tank.

Just a thought.

Thats really funny, I think your company is the one that picks up our 55g food grade drums. We are Phils Fresh Foods in Boulder.

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Ok, so I am off to a good start!

I ordered my filters and bases, from rockauto.com, and they showed up mid last week!

Here they are mounted to the bases!

I made a list of the fittings I would need for the set up and than made a trip to Lowes to pick them up. I chose to use black pipe where I could because it is less than half the cost of brass fittings. The pressure gauges are not needed, but they will be nice for letting me know when I need to change the filters out! (they were $8 a piece)

Here is the filter assembly

I just need to hook it up to some air pressure and squirt it down with some soapy water so I don't have a messy mishap when I run oil through it for the first time.

I picked up a FREE 1/2hp/1750rpm or 1/6hp/1170rpm (depending on how you wire it, and you can wire a switch to go back and forth) motor. I need to hit the local pick and pull and get a power steering pump off of a Toyota with a 22RE engine. Than I just need to the the tractor supply for a v-belt pulley and I am ready to pump! I am stoked about this motor. Wired properly with a switch I can transfer the WMO, and finished fuel at the higher RPM for faster transfers, and keep it at the lower setting for filtering! Also since I am already heavily invested in the Toyota crawling world, I know how to modify a 22RE power steering pump to get more flow if I want to make an even better transfer pump!

All and all I think I am into it about $150 for a pro-looking setup. My first attempt to filter will most likely be from one 5 gallon bucket to another. If I like the way it runs in the truck than I will continue to drop some $$ in this project to build a completely closed loop system, where I dump WMO and a thinner (diesel or kerosene) into two separate spots, and the next time I see it is ready to rock, headed into the truck. :thumbsup:

PZ

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, just something else to consider, those pumps can go well over 1000 psi and your filters will not take that well if they plug. i would highly recomend a relief valve in there before the first filter to make sure they never get enough pressure to do that.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that vinyl tube wont take anywhere near 1000 psi neither. Lol