They kissed!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yup, the timing gears cannot jump teeth if you didn't pull the injection pump cover off. You might still have to move the pump a tiny bit either way to get it exact, but it will be very close to where it was before. If the cover comes off, either way, it really isn't a big deal to reset the timing. PM me if you have any trouble with it...I have an article about timing...

Zigg :)

I dunno about that. Mine jumped after I replaced the heads. I never removed the gear cover, or rotated the engine. It was retarded 1 tooth.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Whats the latest update on this job? I haven't seen anything posted lately. I'm hoping its back running fine now but I would just like to know..

pafixitman

Reaction score
The latest update is that there is no update -cuss ! I'm on the verge of hiring someone to get it back together! Heads are on, exhaust manifolds are on, intake is on. The turbo, exhaust, IP, rad etc needs to be installed.

I am so pressed for time it is not funny. Today should have been the first day of the rest of my life, but I accepted an extension thru the end of the year. cookoo My MIL is pressing me to get done with her house. I had a set back there this weekend. 45 mph winds Friday night and 3" of rain on a non shingled roof. I found my weather barrier in the front yard Saturday!:eek: I even had strips of OSB holding it down! Pulled 100 sq ft of R19 out of the attic - wet.:puke: Vac'd up 50 gallons of water from the basement. Yesterday in 26 mph gusts I finished the roof and repaired the drywall. I have started work framing the basement 5 - 6 hrs at night every other night. (Note to self: do not rush when you are tired. A nail gun will put a nail thru your finger with ease!:eek: ;Really )I still need to get her lawn cut, my lawn cut, RV winterized, truck finished, replace the valve body and transfer case shift motor in the Explorer and...I have 4 other home improvement jobs waiting!!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest update is that there is no update -cuss ! I'm on the verge of hiring someone to get it back together! Heads are on, exhaust manifolds are on, intake is on. The turbo, exhaust, IP, rad etc needs to be installed.

I am so pressed for time it is not funny. Today should have been the first day of the rest of my life, but I accepted an extension thru the end of the year. cookoo
Holy Crap!! I was wondering about that??!! I almost sent you an email today and said Ooops he's not there anymore! Guess I was wrong! :confused:

I still need to get her lawn cut, my lawn cut, RV winterized, truck finished, replace the valve body and transfer case shift motor in the Explorer and...I have 4 other home improvement jobs waiting!!

Hey Joe since you ain't doing nothing, I need a couple things...:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Being about 20 miles from the ocean on the west coast there isn't much I can offer in the way of help. I have all the time in the world but its a long ways to your truck. I know it will be done and done right. It just hurts when you can't make time to get er dun. Hang in there and it will be up and running soon....:cheers:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least with all that, you don't have time to worry about being unemployed. :rolleyes: Looks like you've already got your second job lined up.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, #5 exhaust and piston. I can't find any evidence of a crack. I planning on dropping on the new heads and running it. What do you guys think?

If you can get the kit, do a dye penetrant test of the piston. If there is a surface crack, it will show up. This will not show any internal defects. You should be able to do this test with the piston in the engine. Most any aircraft parts supplier sells these kits. If you do this, you will need to sand the damaged area of the piston smooth first. Much easier to do this than to pull the engine. Good luck.
Doug

Sorry, pafixitman. Just saw the dates on the post and see I'm a bit late with this.

Last edited: