They kissed!

pafixitman

Reaction score
OK. I know I have the dial indicator coming, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
-cuss -cuss
And no, the word ain't fudge. Think truck w/o the tr! :rotflmao

F2TZ-6102-A is on it's way to me. Obsolete part from Ford, but I got one shipping today from Mass. New piston, wrist pin, retainer and rings. I'll have a bearing also.

Everybody got to my emotions. Yes, you all are right. I could be fine for years, but in the back of my mind I'll always know the piston took a hit. I asked my neighbor for his honest gear head opinion since he has seen it in person. His response was "How much you have in it now? How much is the piston? You know the answer."

Of course, I could -cuss up the whole install and be worse off!

Any locals want to show up Saturday, please do. :angel: :hail

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well.... I have been watching this "for a while" and I must say the arguements work both ways but.... I really feel that piston neds to be changed along with the rod and bearing. If you need a spare rod or 2 I'll send you them free. I even have one thats missing the part from the crank end up to the piston end!!!. I'm glad your going the best long term way even though it takes a little bit more work. Don't use a pan gasket, just use rtv. I used copper plus by Permatex. Calvin is correct about the injection pump gear. I turned my motor over several times testing this out while it was on the motor stand. I even turned the motor upside down on the stand and it is captured in the cover really well. My support is a long ways from you. I'm on the west coast and would really like to be there helping but time and distance counts plenty at $3.25 per gallon.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What time Saturday??!! Oh on re-read...I see you only want locals...hmm that's alright I can take a hint! LOL

Don't use a pan gasket, just use rtv. I used copper plus by Permatex.
I'm sure you already know not to settle for anything less than Waker T-95!!! :rotflmao

Good luck Joe - we're going camping this weekend...we'll try to remember and think of yah! :D

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
here is a rod I think it's possibly bent and also possibly bad piston that touched a valve

Attachments

• red truck 006.jpg
    red truck 006.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 23
  • red truck 008.jpg
    red truck 008.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 17

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I believe Joe drove his truck home from South Carolina after the "kiss". Don't think his rod would look THAT bad.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, as much as i hate to se you in this position; yank it out. if it goes, it may very well take the block with it and then.........................................................CRAP how much will it cost then.
I truely am sorry for you. You have had an incredibal amount of bad fortune. But on the good side. We have a 6.5 in a C&C GMC that was donated to work. the motor started blowing white which is pretty much means the engine is toast. A used one is not available and the cost of any kind of repalcemetn is more than the truck is worth.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
towcat said:
joe-
if you didn't remove the IP gear housing, you can rotate the crank assy all you want. the gear is captive in the housing and won't jump teeth. the alignment dowel in the IP will slide back onto the hole in the gear with no issues whatsoever.
as far as the rod bearing is concerned, the flattening will be very obvious. there will be a spot on the bearing that will not look normal.
:confused:
i was wondering that, i looked everywhere and could not find that writen? so when you put the IP back on it will be close to timed? the little dowel lines it all up?

pafixitman

Reaction score
dsblack said:
Joe,
Got an update? hope this is going well.

Yeah, my truck is in even more pieces!

Short answers - fighting head cold, drizzle off and on, no garage, only Saturday to wrench, cheap Chinese ring compressor.

Finally got the pan off by removing the pass side motor mount completely. (One freakin bolt we could not get to) Got the piston out. Some abnormal wear marks on bearing. Everything checked out as far as rod length. Installed rings and found I had the rings on upside down :eek: fixed that and fought w/ my AutoZone special ring compressor until I gave up and followed 160K87F250 to his work and got his ring compressor kit. Got back home at dinner time. -cuss

This Saturday is a new day if the weather holds out. Steph did take some pics that I will try to post.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you, I did mine in January in the northwest, under a tarp in the rain.
Hang in there! you will make it.

Doug

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h2odrx said:
:confused:
i was wondering that, i looked everywhere and could not find that writen? so when you put the IP back on it will be close to timed? the little dowel lines it all up?

Yup, the timing gears cannot jump teeth if you didn't pull the injection pump cover off. You might still have to move the pump a tiny bit either way to get it exact, but it will be very close to where it was before. If the cover comes off, either way, it really isn't a big deal to reset the timing. PM me if you have any trouble with it...I have an article about timing...

My 6.9 had valve "kisses" on about 5 pistons when I opened it up, but one piston was split in half. I replaced the one, bearings and rings, and now have over 50,000 on it since.

My '93 with 7.3 however dropped a valve, and it then proceeded to eat the valve, and the piston too. It was still running, but when I opened it up, the piston was in pieces in the oil pan, and the rod was bent and had punched holes all over the side of the cylinder wall. Way beyond sleeving, it's a mooring buoy anchor for a friend now!
..pic here..

Zigg :)

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
thanks for the info,
i did not take the cover off, i forgot to mark the ip's position so i'll be going to get it timed when i get it running, i think i have a link to the article?? ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Hows the job coming along? I have not seen any posts and I'm just wondering whats going on. I hope all is well and everything went togehter fine and dandy....:D