The true value of a 7.3 N/A engine?

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all goes as planned, I will have two Ford truck N/A 7.3 IDI engines for sale in a few months. One is a good running 1990 with an exhaust "chuff" and the other is a 1991 that starts & runs fine but is lazy. The true mileage of both engines is unknown, but I guesstimate them both to be closing in on 200K each.
The 1991 engine has new Berus & BWD controller, water pump, valve cover gaskets, rebuilt BB spec injectors (by Conestoga), return line kit, new Carter lift pump, and a few other things I may have missed. It has an intermittent miss, but I think it's just IP time.

The 1990 engine has a few fuel and oil leaks, but has good oil pressure. It's pretty responsive, but has that pesky chuff.
Both engines can be started and ran for the perspective buyer(s).

I consider them to be better than cores, and I'm guessing they're worth more than scrap value, but how much more?

Thanks!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a great runner for 400.00 , if that helps, lower miles but not a new pump.

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll be complete from air cleaner to oil pan.
I'll track you down..... should be sometime in May if all goes well.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be planting corn in may if all goes well. Not much play time in may/June. We'll work something out

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have $150 in the injectors alone, so $180 isn't going to happen. LOL

Let me put it this way.......
How much would you ask for a running IDI if you were advertising it to sell? :D

Or.......
If I ask $750 for both engines - complete from air cleaner to oil pan / fan to flywheel (minus one alternator & one vacuum pump) - am I being greedy?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats more than fair since all the accessories are going up in price.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often doing needed maintenance does not increase the value and often what one person considers an upgrade wont either.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I have sold three. $600 complete for my best one, $500 complete for a good runner, and $400 for one that ran great but minus the inj pump and injectors.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think an unknown engine from a pick-a-part should be used for a reference here. First of all, they're rare as hen's teeth in the junkyards around my neck of the woods; second, its hardly a little four banger we're talking about here. I would give 400 for one that ran, more for one that ran good with documented new parts.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a repair shop and is always getting cars that people have "repaired" with u pullit parts. I liken it to having lunch out of the dumpster.LOL