The rumours are true

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I had a PSD before I had IDI's and as of now have had or have as many PSD's as IDI's.

Same here.
Got an '03 6.0L and just doing research about it on the web was what got me into the group and hooked on the simplicity. ;Sweet

I got hooked and now am building my 3rd IDI powered truck. Wifey thinks I'm... cookoo
They're just good ol work trucks that can take a beating and keep on running.

Well as long as Trav doesn't get ahold of it.:eek: :D

Sooner or later the IDI will be considered an antique and with todays EPA restrictions getting more stringent, These ole trucks will prolly not be able to hit the roads turning ricers into rolling smog pockets.

Until then, drop it like its' hot!:thumbsup:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Geesh, rough crowd eh?:D ...I get the same ribbing at work from my fellow wrencher's...."You traded a 96 4x4 for a 91 diesel with 408k?"cookoo cookoo cookoo .....Heard that one a few times, and they get a real kick out of me going to our compound on my lunch to pull a part off the 2 parts rigs I have in there....But, it all comes back to money as do most things in life. I'd love to have a 08 SD but at $70k Canadian it's just a dream....Now "key's for key's" for an old F250 IDI that will do the same things much cheaper and probably be more reliable, I can swing that.;Sweet ....Having a spare E40D tranny and PSD in the garage for $1500 worked out in my favor when I bought it last winter...I knew I hung onto it for a reason...

I too have plans for my old daily driver 2wd F250, first up is the Dana 60 swap...Working under the gun on a weekened to get your rig ready for the daily commute is hard, but I like a challenge.:backoff...I had visions of tweeking my IDI, but after driving it for a month and hauling a few loads with it I came to the conclusion I don't need anymore HP, the 7.3 is good the way it is....Except for the K/N filter and 3.5" exhaust I have for it.;Sweet....Decent fuel mileage and torque is what I really wanted, and that's what I got.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If memory serves this how the events started that ended with the Enterprise sitting in my BACK YARD(NOT a kudzu covered field......White Lightning that is another subject....but kudzu has an amazing preservation quality....keeps sun and rain off anything it swallows.Poles,Trees,Vehicles,HOUSES!).......I got first dibs on the Moose truck!

gandalf

Reaction score
Congratulations on a good choice. The X is a huge vehicle. They are a true land yacht.

I think you should name it either SuperMoose or the Moosemobile.:eek:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
GaPchNCrm; said:
Mel- good luck with the new ride. Frankly- if we had the money it would have been sitting in our yard. Well, maybe not, can't haul a gooseneck with it lol

Actually they make a gizmo now that is basically a converter Dolly(if you don't know,ask BJ about doubles....) for a pickup.Nothing more than a tongue,an axle and a goose neck hitch ball.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Mel

Congradulations. You understand now why I had to step up and buy a new truck. Just so happens that it's a Dmax, but I really enjoy it. All the power and reliabilty I need and I don't have to tinker with it...well except for that MBRP exhaust sitting in my shop ready to go on.LOL

Are you still looking for a '96 Bronco? There's one sitting at the local used car lot by me. It's medium green and silver XLT. Looks to be pretty clean from the road (rust free) and unmodified. Nice looking truck. I can look into it further if interested.

Tom

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Are you still looking for a '96 Bronco? There's one sitting at the local used car lot by me. It's medium green and silver XLT. Looks to be pretty clean from the road (rust free) and unmodified. Nice looking truck. I can look into it further if interested.

There ya go Mel a Rust free Mexico truck! Great Starter!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Yea Tom, I got two kids that are going to want affordable trucks, and that means an IDI to start. So when I find a suitable host for this 6.9/C6 I got here, we'll get Matthias fixed up, and then repeat the process for Graham. That truck Tanya found would be up here by now, if it weren't for the fact that spending money on this new rig isn't done yet. I'll have to register it soon, and that means paying the sales tax, which would have bought that truck. I got the state inspection over with already, and all it needed was a light bulb in the 3rd brake light. Heck, I'd have never guessed there were 3 light bulbs in that thing. Yea, I'm behind the curve on all this PSD stuff, but I'll learn it just like the rest of you who went this route before me did. I'm just hoping I learn it by helping others, rather than experiencing it first hand. Thanks to all of you for your kind words, and I appologize for the long explaination. Appearantly it was so long a few missed the name for this beast, the "Moose Wagon". It is true that we can't prevent change. I've held it off for almost 25 years. Now I'll prepare for the next 25 while preserving the past as best I can. Rob, I can't say how it might have been if it were a gasser. Obviously since it was a diesel it was an easier choice. If it were a gasser, I'd have still bought it, with conversion in mind, but probably not for the same money, which then of course means I may not have ended up with it. It may be BS. I dunno.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No damn wonder youve been trolling the PSD forum so heavily here as of late Mel. :rotflmao

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
which is worse, buying a PSD, or condeming an IDI to a cornfield to wither away. ;Really

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :hail

That's funny right there!

Hey Jon,

Is the E ever gonna see the road again besides from the field? I was hoping that the next owner would help her at least drive on it once in a great while. She started life out as just the puller for the horses to go to rodeos so I figured she could do that again or something like it in her retirement.

And I don't mean tow her down the road :backoff

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it's all good Mel. i forsee you modding it just so it will stay under your 2500 rpm ceiling. i'm sure you have found that nearly impossible, stock. if you haven't, you will as soon as you hook a trailer to it. the trans wont allow you to put your foot in it AT ALL without winding up near 3 grand. highway speeds are better once the engine is up close to 2000 rpm in OD. then it will hold OD unless you really stomp on it.

with the 3.73 gears you probably have (as do i), at least your cruising rpm is around 2000-2200 at 70ish. chips can help to truck maintain OD better than stock, which is a big reason i will eventually have one. the torque is there, but the trans downshifts anyway.

good score Mel. you're takin your lumps well too:backoff :D :cheers:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :hail

That's funny right there!

Hey Jon,

Is the E ever gonna see the road again besides from the field? I was hoping that the next owner would help her at least drive on it once in a great while. She started life out as just the puller for the horses to go to rodeos so I figured she could do that again or something like it in her retirement.

And I don't mean tow her down the road :backoff

She got to drive down the road a couple times.....Made it almost to the shop when she got dropped off by Old Mr Bill before laying over on me......then made it a mile from the shop and layed over on me again on the way home(Exact same place just other side of highway?!?!?!).Then again on the way to the Mechanic from hell...she made it half way before I ran outta fuel with 15 gallon in the transfer tank(DOH,Should have known it would do that since no baffles),then drove her about 1/2 mile to another mechanic that replace the rear brake lines and did a fantastic job even though she was throwing rust in his eye all the time.Then the 6 mile trip to get her tagged(had to have VIN inspected) though the middle of town(Oh that exhaust sounded sweet bouncing off the buildings!).Then I installed the DPS system and haven't ran right since.....Guess I need to get off my **** and order a new injector line(#1 is leaking from hard line).

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually they make a gizmo now that is basically a converter Dolly(if you don't know,ask BJ about doubles....) for a pickup.Nothing more than a tongue,an axle and a goose neck hitch ball.

It is illeagal to haul animals in any trailer hooked to a dolly. All animal haulering trailers must be hooked directly to the tow vehicle.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Mel....I forgot to mention that 3 of your best new friends will be.....

a DVM , contact cleaner and dilectric grease with a spare CPS on the backside LOL :D

Shpeakin' of the CPS.....when you get round to cleaning and greasing those contacts, take out the bolt that holds the CPS and apply some never sieze ;Sweet