The rumours are true

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not selling any IDI's. I still have all my old trucks. And I'm planning on building more. However, there seems to be a certain element that insists on knowing more about what isn't in the garage than what is. Soooo.... for all you Hoosiers out there who just can't stand the thought of the Agne's having vehicles that do not conform to "Mel's official guide of accepted vehicles for BOOB members".... I give you the rest of the roster.

2005 Ford Freestyle, bought used from Stoner-Wade Ford this past February.

2002 Ford Excursion, bought from Barney (Flatlander) last month.

That brings the total to 5 legally on the road vehicles in the Moose Valley. Yes, it's true, only 1 of them has an engine running a complex mixture of relatively volatile hydrocarbons, with or without small quantities of additives suitable for use in spark-ignition engines. So why the interest in that PSD powered land yacht? Well here is the story of how I came to get it, and why. As many of you know, I want to build a 96' Bronco in similar fashion as the Moosestang. I've got a 6.9 and C6 ready to go in it. When I lost my 99' Ranger to that woman who sacrificed her brand new Subaru Forrester back on January 7th, I was forced to push the Moosestang into immediate full time commuter service. That in of itself, was not a problem. It's more than capable of handling that. However, my boss is less than comfortable with me driving something that quite frankly, is more reliable than his 07' BMW which he leases and has serviced while being given a loaner :rolleyes: on a regular basis. While unfounded, the perception of having a 20 something year old truck, without a solid paint job, that belches smoke and has to be started with the use of a key AND a push button when it's cold (boss: Oh MY GOD! You mean you don't just turn the key? laughter...) surfaces occasionally, and unfortunately as they say, perception is reality. But, being the rebel I am, I was willing to overlook all that, and I've continued to ignore the "Who's taking bets on how long until Mel calls in sick because his truck won't start" mantra that I've grown accustomed to. Anyway, the big problem with using the Moosestang as a daily driver, is it cramps my style when I want to work on it. I still don't have the 8 lug conversion done yet, and since that will be a multiday project, I'm pigion holed until I have another vehicle to drive. Yes, it's true, having 4 vehicles for 2 people still doesn't offer a solution. My wife works in another county, and so I can't take her car from her, and the Moose Truck, and Lady Moose are covered by classic insurance that if I were to drive either one to work, and got caught, I would loose that coverage, and quite frankly it's the only thing that allows me to keep all these wheels on the road. Not a risk I'll take. So, that means that for the purposes of daily living, we only had 2 vehicles, neither of which could be out of service. So, back to the quest for the 96' Bronco to convert. I'd been watching ebay, and had looked at several locally. I got VERY close to buying one last February as many of you may recal (the thread entitled: The one that got away), but aside from that one, all have been in too good a condition, and out of my price range. Getting a loan to buy a vehicle I was going to take apart and immediately devalue just didn't make sense, so I was in a holding pattern. Enter Barney's thread I never really thought about it. An Excursion is a BIG Bronco. In fact, the largest ever. It's also out of production, and was only around for a few years. How cool is that??! The fact that it was a diesel was really not one of the reasons that I suddenly found myself wanting it. I had ridden in it during the rally, and new it was cherry. It was going to fill the bill for a few purposes. 1) - Taking the boat on longer trips. The Moosestang can do it, but it doesn't go fast. Not I-68 fast. About 63 MPH is the most I'll push it. 2800 RPM at 65 MPH is just a huge waste of energy and fuel. Not only that, but both the boys want to bring friends, and it only seats 5. The Moose Truck can't hold the people anymore, nor can it tow the boat without changing it from white to black. Lady Moose slightly better, but a crew cab dually is not the most navagable thing around a boat ramp. 2) - Supplimenting the people hauling capabilites of the wife's Freestyle. I don't want that thing to wear out too quick, and we needed another vehicle that could haul 6 or more. 3) - Getting me to work. It would help my image, although I'm already getting comments like "that thing's so big you have to park it in two zip codes" from the rice burning fuel efficiency crowd. The boss is satisfied though. (dunno why... I bet it breaks before anything else). And lastly 4) - Yes, it probably is time for me to learn a thing or two about Power Strokes. It would be foolish for me to believe that my sons will be able to continue the IDI legacy forever. Heck, even the 7.3 PSD is now 3 generations old, and has more in common with the IDI, then the 6.4 liter does. Foundation shaking? I don't think so. Unlike so many who have "gone to the dark side", abandoning their IDI's in the process, my purchase is really just another vehicle like the wife's Freesytle. Chipped? you bet. Just like her Freestyle, and the Windstar, and the Ranger, they all run on electrons and smoke. My hope is that I can just drive it and do regular maintanance on it. I have no plans to mod it up or learn more than I have to to keep it on the road. I need it to be as reliable as it can be, so I have time to work on the projects I really want to work on, like intercoolers for the turbo IDI's and helping you guys get better IP's in your trucks and what not. A Gear Vendors for the Moosestang, 8 lug axles, and a new stereo and bumper for the Moose Truck and Lady Moose. I'm doing the normal fluid changes on the Moose Wagon, and I've learned how to change the fuel filter. I had to promise Amy I wouldn't put stacks on it, but I have added some ventshades so I can put the windows down to keep the heat out when it's at work. I'm sure I'll make myself at home in the 7.3 PSD forum when I need to (as is the case with Apex Trans terrible situation) I will split the milage to work between the Moosestang and the Moose Wagon (yup, it gets a name you haven't heard before, just like the Mini Moose, Moose Cruiser, Moose Mole, Red Moose, and Mama Moose) Just because there is a PSD in the stable doesn't mean anything has changed IDI wise. It's not like I was getting a Cummins something and emptying the hanger. :moon: When I click my desktop shortcut it still takes me right to this forum where I will stay, until all threads have been read. Have no fear. The darkside has no power over me!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
:eek: ..........um..........:eek: didnt see that coming

:D enjoy your new truck

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BwaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

Welcome to the darkside. Here's a new avatar fer ya.LOL
You must be registered for see images attach

Congrats, Nice ride and well deserved. Good to see you upstairs lending a hand. Keeping up with the technology and learning while preserving the past is a good thing.;Sweet

Hmmmmm might we have some Moose Diesel Performance injectors, Moose chips, (that doesn't sound right LOL), and other goodies for the dark horses in the future-Drool .

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
SWONK......SWONK.......SWONK......You better pull that engine and put a IDI in there.....SWONK......afterall....you did say you wanted to put a IDI in a StupidDoody one day and this thing is a Stupiddoody supercrewcab without a bed....

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Congrats Mel
welcome to the darkside, its all down hill from here.
now ya get to experiance what some of us have for years now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SWONK......SWONK.......SWONK......You better pull that engine and put a IDI in there.....SWONK......afterall....you did say you wanted to put a IDI in a StupidDoody one day and this thing is a Stupiddoody supercrewcab without a bed....

Freight, that's still something I'm looking at. Just waiting for at truck I don't need a loan to buy to come along. You can't swonk me. No IDI's were harmed in the purchase of this truck. LOL Besides, which is worse, buying a PSD, or condeming an IDI to a cornfield to wither away. ;Really

RedTruck

Reaction score
Anyone notice how Mel and Darin came out of the closet at the same time? :moon:

Nothing more...just wanted to point that out. :D

Good luck with the new rig Mel.

Paul

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I remember other members getting swonked when thy purchased thier PSD's.
some of them still own IDI's, and also purchased thier PSD's for some of the reasons you mentioned in purchasing yours.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember other members getting swonked when thy purchased thier PSD's.
some of them still own IDI's, and also purchased thier PSD's for some of the reasons you mentioned in purchasing yours.

Guilty as charged. That's how society spirals downward. Even the staunch begin to acquiesce. LOL See, originaly I just wasn't going to announce anything. I didn't see any reason to. It wasn't like I was going out of my way to get a PSD. I just wanted the truck. The motor was happenstance. I'd have told people face to face, or if it came up. I know you and Russ and Rob probably think I'm a hypocrite, and possibly have every right to. That's why I had wanted to keep things quite until I had a chance to speak with you guys individually. However, some folks didn't think that was a good idea I guess.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Vend over.... :fight: SWONK!!!!! :D .

Well I can't say I didn't wait to do this for years :angel: .

On the other hand, good for You Mel :thumbsup: , I'm sure it was a wise decision. Not only for the jokes (they do get old some times) but having a not so good image for the boss (under His loop) is something anyone would avoid. This newer psd do ride very nice too. Anyway You still well on the bright side of the force with the many extra points You got with the new performance IP, maybe You can come up with a new performance head and head gaskets to come as a combo and You'll collect more IDI's to the cause than anyone else.