The list

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is there any major difference between them, or is it all just personal preferrence? I'll go the extra mile to get the better parts, but if its just everybody's own preferrence on them then I will stick to whatever Napa is carrying.

The felpro gaskets have a very soft surface that compresses quite a bit, it damages very easily during installation, and leaves the gosh awfullest mess to clean up if you have to take them off again. They are prone to leaking. They have been making them the same way for quite some time.

the Reinz gaskets on the other hand are a very firm gasket made to their latest technology. Reinz makes all the factory head gaskets for all of those extremely high tech diesels made in Europe these days ( where about 60% of all the cars on the road are diesels ), including the engines used in those fancy race cars. Most of the factory head gaskets that are used during initial assembly come pre coated with Hylomar ( seriously great sealer, that stuff is the factory sealer for Rolls Royce jet aircraft engines as well, the Racing formula is the same as the Aero formula ) so when replacing head gaskets , it's become a standard over there to spray coat them like the new style factory gaskets and it makes for an excellent seal. The combination of the Reinz gaskets which are sturdier and the Hylomar which unlike other sealers or gaskets with Orings that pull away and allow leakage during temperature cycling, the Hylomar stretches leaving a curtain of sealer even when a gap occours and then compresses back into place after the temperature cycle .

I've never used a Corteco gasket, but from what I understand, They have tried to follow that design with a sturdy core gasket and a full sealer coat , major diference being that the sealer coating doesn't adhere to the opposing surface, but is supposed to conform very well to irregular surfaces during installation, and not leave a mess when removed.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Cables dude, cant express how much they will help! I replaced mine in my brown truck and it spins the starter so fast now, not to mention the lights are super bright now. Get them from custombatterycables.com the guy is great, and they aren't perfect since they are for a 90's model truck, but they are as close as you'll ever find, and if you can get corrosion inside those things you shouldnt be around a car.

Leave the starter alone, you'll be impressed with how fast it will spin just from doing the cables.

I vote you do your injectors, battery cables, kevlar pilot bushing, and auto RX. But start saving for your head studs and head gasket kit, if they are weeping it wont be long.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, looks like I'll go into little mexico and pick me up some of those gaskets....thanks for that ;Sweet.

Alright, I will put aside getting the starter, but I will keep money just in case mine craps out. I know my truck used to turn over so fast, and would start within the first revolution down to around 40*. Now I can easily count how many times its turning over its so slow.

I dont think my head gaskets are bad just yet....at least from the times that I've looked at my block by the heads. I choose to not pay attention, ignorance is bliss in my eyes :D...if it starts using coolant or something, then I know whats up, but it isnt so I think I'm fine for a while. I have enough money right now to do everything I want to do basically, besides tires so I'm not really sweating it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I went and ordered my Amsoil oil's (motor oil, motor oil for the tranny, ATF for the transfer case, gear oil for the front and rear diff, single bypass filter kit I would have built one up myself but I didnt find any shops that carried the hoses and fitting for quiet some distance and thats kinda out of the question right now, some filters for the bypass kit). Injectors and injector return line kit (you really cant beat the price of pensecola diesel, less than $200 shipped for all new injectors ;Sweet). And AutoRx. I already have my Luk 12" clutch.......and let me tell you I'm starting to feel poor again LOL :D

I'm thinking that I'm just going to rig up my own battery cables, custombatterycables.com look nice and all, but the price reflects that. I know people who have done it before, it wont be to bad. I really dont need to do this, cause my battery cables still work, but its something I will have to do down the road anyways so I might as well get it out of the way ;Sweet.

Someone want to explain to me why the kevlar pilot bushing is so much better than the pilot bearing that I have now? Is it really worth the $40?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Justin, YES the kevlar bearing IS WORTH THE MONEY.
Right now we're on our 4th brand new roller pilot bearing in my moms truck with the new 6.9. Every single one of them fails within the first 500 miles. We've got another one in there right now thats squeaking and my dad bought the kevlar bearing to replace it this time.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin, YES the kevlar bearing IS WORTH THE MONEY.
Right now we're on our 4th brand new roller pilot bearing in my moms truck with the new 6.9. Every single one of them fails within the first 500 miles. We've got another one in there right now thats squeaking and my dad bought the kevlar bearing to replace it this time.

LOL OK I guess I'll order one up. Thank you for that. And it must suck big time to have to pull the tranny that many times LOL.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my luk in there greased with synthetic and is hasnt made a sound in 2 years??

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, we grease all our roller ones with synthetic grease before we install the clutch as well and every single one of them has failed, like I said within 500 miles. And I cant find anything wrong with the input shaft of the trans or the flywheel. Its getting old, I'll tell ya. I've pulled the tranny on that truck darn near a dozen times in the last year. Im so sick of it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Can someone give me a link of a place I can actually order one from? I see it on south bends website.....but I dont see a place to order it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didja wash out all the original grease first? They dont play well together you know.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I just called them and ordered it over the phone. Its been about a year ago its a little foggy to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online