The Crew Cab's Vibration Mystery Solved!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so is missy a bit upset the "good vibrations" are gone??

No they're not gone, in fact, they were working great last night ........

OH WAIT.......... You mean with the truck......... OPPS!

She's happy the truck's not vibrating anymore, but she seems a bit disappointed that I didn't buy a new crew cab.LOL

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oh... Your going straight to hell Heath for that comment...:angel::eek::sly So just why wont you buy a new truck... Your being pushed in that direction. Go for it..... Drive it to dinner or church on sundays. Use it as a backup to the idi rigs... Wouldn't that just be the cats ass doing that...:angel:LOL:sly

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. I just talked with Brain at SBC. He would like me to "reposition" the pressure plate 180 from where it was and see if that fixes the problem (it won't). If it doesn't, he will sent me a new flywheel, pressure plate, disk, and TOB. Basically, a new SMF kit.

I just had the trans out before this started and fortunately, the bearings were great, but I did put 2000 miles on the truck with it vibrating. Hope everything else is OK.

Heath

The request to reposition it 180* is a curious statement. I worked in a trans shop years ago for a little while. On the only clutch job that I did there, we went through 4 clutches and pressure plates before getting one that didn't vibrate. I never thought about reclocking the pressure plate nor did the owner.

RedTruck

Reaction score
It may have played it's coarse already, but I do find it interesting that we are talking about Ron's PP in a tranny thread.

I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin

Way to go on figuring out your vibration issue Heath! Tough problem solved.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they drill the presure plate and clutch at the same time, that might explain it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The request to reposition it 180* is a curious statement. I worked in a trans shop years ago for a little while. On the only clutch job that I did there, we went through 4 clutches and pressure plates before getting one that didn't vibrate. I never thought about reclocking the pressure plate nor did the owner.

My feeling is that if you have to reclock it it is junk.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with what Russ has posted. Clocking the pressure plate would tell you if the plate is of center. Only that the pressure plate may be out of balance.... A cheap repair if anything. But having the flywheel holes drilled out of a concentric center.... Nothing is going to fix that like clocking a pressure plate. But changing the drilled holes in the flywheel now and getting them centered will save the wheel. I would only trust a good machine shop to do this task. This is one place where close isn't good enough. It must be correct of small vibration waves will be sent thru the trans and crank shaft. Even if you can't feel the vibration it will still be there doing 7 kinds of damage to the rotating elements. Can we all say a broken crank... I recall some broken cranks around these forums a few years ago. We never did find out what was going on. Being familiar with machin radius when you grind a crank bearing... If you don't maintain the correct radius you set up a stress area where a crack is sure to form. The repeated shocks to a stress riser is going to fail. Its like continueing to bend a paper clip. It will only bend for a certain amount of cycles. I never asked if these broken cranks were ground 10 under or even more under than that. I don't think even knowing that would tell us much. A person would have to measure the radius to know if it was correct or not. BTW don't ever buy a crank thats ground more than 10 10... Its really not what I would call a good crank. The thin hard facing of the bearings gets too thin after a 10 thousands grind undersize. So what about a welded up stroker crank.....:eek: That sends a shiver up my spine. If done properly you have a great crank. If any of the steps is done wrong you have less than a good boat anchor. Finding a shop that can do the job correctly is almost impossible these days. Just look at what Heath is finding out was the vabration on his rig. Nobody would have ventured a gues like that ....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If they drill the presure plate and clutch at the same time, that might explain it.

My feeling is that if you have to reclock it it is junk.
I agree with all the above. If the holes are drilled off center, it will be off center reguardless of the oreintation of the pressure plate. These pressure plates don't have dowel pins to help with alignment. Some pressure plates do. Secondary to this, if you aren't careful you can get the pressure plate slightly off center, but not to the degree with off center mounting bolts. LOL

Oh... Your going straight to hell Heath for that comment...:angel::eek::sly So just why wont you buy a new truck... Your being pushed in that direction. Go for it..... Drive it to dinner or church on sundays. Use it as a backup to the idi rigs... Wouldn't that just be the cats ass doing that...:angel:LOL:sly
Even today Gary, she told me to buy THIS TRUCK...... if I sell the '86 crew cab. I said it's nice, but I'll keep my IDI crew cab.:D

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... Your no dummy. A person buying a ultra low mileage anything has to ask the qeuestion... "Why are you selling it".... Then find a reason to believe or not believe answer. Very few times do we find someone willing to take a big finacial hit by selling cheap... Unless someone is going thru a divorce and has to sell. Then its sometimes a give away just to keep the other person from getting any worth of said auto.... You still have a great spouse that trys to tell you "move up".:sly Its ok....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Stand strong Doc! Them new ones can break down too and ya may not be able to fit the needed tool in the to box like ya can with the IDI's.
But then again if you can change a wheel bearing race with a claw hammer and a ratchet...... :)

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I agree with all the above. If the holes are drilled off center, it will be off center reguardless of the oreintation of the pressure plate. These pressure plates don't have dowel pins to help with alignment. Some pressure plates do. Secondary to this, if you aren't careful you can get the pressure plate slightly off center, but not to the degree with off center mounting bolts. LOL

Even today Gary, she told me to buy THIS TRUCK...... if I sell the '86 crew cab. I said it's nice, but I'll keep my IDI crew cab.:D

Heath

Autotrader.com is such a tease:rolleyes:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Stand strong Doc! Them new ones can break down too and ya may not be able to fit the needed tool in the to box like ya can with the IDI's.
But then again if you can change a wheel bearing race with a claw hammer and a ratchet...... :)

And I bet if he had too, Heath could do that through the tail pipe. :rotflmao;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online