The Big C

kurto

kurto
Reaction score
New to this site and I need advice. 89 F350 4x4 CC with a banks. After putting on the banks I melted the pistons so I pulled the motor and put Turbo quality pistons in. Less than 5k miles later I have water in #4, and my love for the truck has now dropped to NONE. I use the truck maybe 2 times a month but I have got to make a decision. 1) Drop a cummins in 2) pull this motor again and make repairs 3) suck up the losses and sell her. If I go with number 2 I would sleeve all the cylinders while it is out does anyone know of a good shop in So Cal that knows how to do this and can you bore and install 7.3 size liners or do you use 6.9 pistons? I would hate to throw away $800 worth of pistons with only 5k on them. Also what about heads I recall awhile back somone discussing new brazilian heads are they on the market? are they any good? do they exist? is there a source for good remanu heads. Any advice is appreciated I really don't want a new truck payment but god I hate this motor right now

Kurt

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you have a pyrometer? Could have avoided that first meltdown with one. Hind sight is 20/20 they say, so I hope you get one going forward, regardless of what you decide. Frankly, I'd be tempted to drop another motor in it and go from there. Keep the old one for parts. As for putting a Cummins in there, they break too.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Some missing info, what type of banks kit, are you running a pyro too? No point rebuilding if you don't have some safeguards in place.

kurto

kurto
Reaction score
yes I have a pyro it was installed with the turbo and I have seen it at 1200-1300 on hills for brief periods (no longer than 1 minute). That would be when pulling the trailer but still going as slow as I would have been without the turbo. As I said earlier lots of power but can't use it due to high EGT. I have the full banks kit with their exhaust but of course no intercooler. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Cajon Pass but that is the grade that would give me the hard pulls, power to spare to run the hill at 55 but EGT kept me at 25-30, the same place I was without turbo just no black smoke.

The only reason I would go Cummins is that I have not heard anyone yet with Cavitation problems with the Cummins.

FLRin29

VIRUS FREE!
Reaction score
kurto,you may check this site http://socaps.com Most of the members are here in SoCal.Should be able to steer you to good shop.

P.S. where you at "in the desert",I'm out here in 29 Palms.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
kurto said:
yes I have a pyro it was installed with the turbo and I have seen it at 1200-1300 on hills for brief periods (no longer than 1 minute). That would be when pulling the trailer but still going as slow as I would have been without the turbo. As I said earlier lots of power but can't use it due to high EGT. I have the full banks kit with their exhaust but of course no intercooler. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Cajon Pass but that is the grade that would give me the hard pulls, power to spare to run the hill at 55 but EGT kept me at 25-30, the same place I was without turbo just no black smoke.

The only reason I would go Cummins is that I have not heard anyone yet with Cavitation problems with the Cummins.

12-1300 degrees for a MINUTE!!!!! :***: No wonder you blew 2 engines up.But the big question is,Is this the stock Banks location(after the turbo) for the Pyro Probe!?!?!If so,That would be 14-1500degrees in the holes maybe more!Aluminum melts at 1220.581 F.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Heck I ran The Enterprise up to 1300 degrees on more than once for a little while (probably not for a full minute) but Heck I do it even further in my goat truck (can slam 1500° like no ones business) but I don't hang out at those temps for more than 20 seconds or so... But who knows maybe his gauge is off.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kurto said:

Where is Cajon Pass?

There was a hill I pulled last year coming to Monterey from AZ that I had to back way out of. 35-40, tops, due to EGT, even though I had more throttle. Can't recall what road I was on or what the location was... think it was coming North off the interstate up towards central California before we got to highway 101.

At any rate, I'd be considering an intercooler... or the Cummins. Stop over on my site and have a look: cummins-conversion.com

FYI.... Cummins have EGT issues too...

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
12-1300 degrees for a MINUTE!!!!! :***: No wonder you blew 2 engines up.But the big question is,Is this the stock Banks location(after the turbo) for the Pyro Probe!?!?!If so,That would be 14-1500degrees in the holes maybe more!Aluminum melts at 1220.581 F.

So the safe limit for those of us with the STOCK Banks pyro mount location is what... 1000 degrees?

Uh oh...

I've tickled 1300-1400 more than once, then. Gonna have to tone things down.

Mike

kurto

kurto
Reaction score
THe pyro is mounted in the stock position from Banks AND WFT was exactly what I was thinking when I hit 1300 and had to slow to 25 mph on the pass (I-15 between San Bernardino and Victorville- I live in Oak Hills at the top of the pass) I just spend $3k to go as slow as I did without the Turbo? I never said I was bright. As said ealrlier the power is awesome without load but loaded I can't use it. I'll check out socaps.com and cummins-conversion. I pulled #4 GP last nite and was going to move the truck into the shop and I hydolocked again. Pulled the rest of the GP's (except #5 what a PITA to get to) and shot water out of #7 also. I read the diagnosis of cavitation and wouldn't I know it, in order they show most common to less common as #8, #7, and #4 last. I have to be different and go last to first- found it in #4 first and #7 last nite i'm sure #8 is next. Draining the water tonite and will decide which way I'll go. Selling the thing is on top of the list right now.

Thanks for all your help.

Kurt

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put a C in it for $5000 or less if you do the work yourself. You can get a FRESHLY REBUILT IDI in it for probably less than that... WITH WARRANTY.

Probably the best option, especially since you have money in the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance