Talk With ARP About Studs

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the big difference between the 6.9 and 7. kits. The 6.9 kit is around $225 including everything. I think Gary said the 7.3 sets were all special order or something..one of type runs. Am I wrong??

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I just spent an hour reading through the ARP catalog. Very informative and enlightening. Probably some sales pitch stuff in there but a whole lot of good info about fastener loads and design criteria.

Here's the link to the catalog.

BTW how do you rename a link to display something other than the link itself?

you write the [URL="http://video.arp-bolts.com/catalog/ARPCatalog.pdf"]name
and highlight it take the link hit the earth and chain button and paste the link.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These studs from ARP are not designed for our motors but they work just fine. Really... What is a stud anyway. One stud can and usually does fit many motors. Look at our roller lifters. The can be used in the chevy 6.2 & 6.5 along with the psd motors. The reason I got my 34 studs so inexpensively is beyond my thoughts. I just called and talked to Paul on the sales desk, told him I wanted 34 AR7.00 studs that are 7 inches long without nuts and washers and that was all the magic I did. I may just call again and order up another set just to see if I can get the same price again. BTW... I was looking at the new head bolt and found the length of it is ... Get this, 5 13/16 inch long. It has 1 5/8th inch of thread but only 7/8th inch of the threads are threaded into the block. Kinda funny that not all the available threads on the bolt are used. When I was dealing with Mike Rose who is or was the ingineer in charge of diesel stud designs told me they would have to stop production to run off a set for our motors because they didn't have our length and design in the computers. The time was 4 to 6 weeks and cost was between $1100.00 and $1400.00. That was for 190,000 psi studs. Kens at that time were around $625.00.....

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I'm sure you've spent alot of time researching this icanfixall.... but I've got to ask.
Has anyone ever heard of new head bolts creating a problem?
I mean, sure after 150k miles a head gasket blows.... that isn't really bolt related tho.

It just seems to me, that the smart money would be replacing with like bolts and moving on. Running 10-12psi air pressure, and as much fuel as I can, I fully intend on changing the head gaskets/reworking valves every 100k-150k miles anyway.

drew

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
On top of Drews' question, how about CAT bolts? You know, Caterpillar? This is what we did to our grandpas truck about 15 years ago, never blew another gasket or cracked another head, put atleast 250k on it with that setup. CAT bolts have massive strength capabilities.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As asked... Yes, I have concidered going back with stock head bolts. As I recall they cost about $8.00 each plus the washers are needed too. Now if Cat had a 7 inch stud or bolt that was capable of handleing around 220,000 psi or better I would be interested in talking aith them about it. Otherwise I'm installing the ARP studs that are 200,000 psi and 7 inches long. Remember the stock head bolts are 153,000 psi so 47,000 extra lbs of clamping force shouls be the ticket. Typ4 has 10,000 miles on his and around 7 miles of that was over or around 240 degrees on the coolant pulling a grade. That speaks plenty about quality to me.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
IIRC, the 6.9 Studs are an addapted ARP stud. They were originally designed for a Ford v6?

Prolly the reason for the cost differance. I'd imagine they run a large batch at a time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I read everything I could find about how they make these and other studs. I talked to Mike Rose who was but I don't think is there anymore all about the design and manufacturing of studs for our motors some 2 years ago. He was the design ingineer of diesel stud manufacturing. This is not some "Yea, sure, I can make that for ya" type shop that will run off a single batch just for you. I'm by no means knocking the small guy out there just trying to make something better than what we have at the time. Its just the money backing up what ARP sells and developes is something the small guy can't compete with. Ken at DPS has or had a great product. What has happened is regretable to say the least. He is able to run his own products so that tells me something. Would I buy from Ken again??? Maybe but not till I know more and have proof that "things" are better now. My motor will have been in and out 7 times when I'm done with this stud and freeze plug issue. While the motor is out I will be replacing all my freeze plugs... But this time I will be adding some sealant and more hammer pressure to make the plugs expand just a little more. I even plan on designing a punch that fits the original indentation on the plugs in my other block. I have the depth that they are dented so things look easy ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online