t-19 with G.V. or zf5?????????????

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Ok i know where i can get a t-19 with t-case, but it most likely needs rebuilt(old 1987 CC 6.9L slop truck with no axle's) I have a fresh t-case(83,000 miles) with a G.V. under/overdrive in my 89. I want to run a manual tranny in my 92, but I here the zf5's aren't very strong(and i drive like a dam kid:D ). My dad has one in his truck and reverse sucks! What would it cost for ME to go though the t-19? I can get all the parts out of the 87 i need to. What do you guy's think?

Thanks, Dave

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you already have the GV i'd choose the T19 any day over the ZF.

i changed out the input shaft in the T19 i had in my old IDI. i think i paid 90 bucks or so for it used/shipped. you can get the rebuild kits with synchros relatively cheap.

the T19 is waay tougher than the ZF5

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the gearvendors already, definitely get the t19 and all the stuff that goes with it. With the t19 you won't have to fool with that stupid dual mass flywheel, and you will have up to 8 forward gears and 2 reverses.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree that you should run the t-19 and the GV. Pulling it apart is not that hard just get a good exploded diagram and take your time. Ive done plenty like this even a couple ZF5's. So how are you gonna run the GV to the rear of the transfer case? or stick it in between the trans and tcase?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the way the 5 speed shifts, feels a little more modern. But I guess thats because I havent had to many 4 speed trucks.

I do like how the 4 speed can be floated through the gears rather easily though.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gear vendors shifts like an automatic tranny, So it needs pressure. I thought it had to be around 2,000 RPM.... Also it would be a seven speed.....

I did the ZF swap only because I will be going to college and need the OD, but after college I want the T-19 back. The reverse and first gear are WAY to high for any truck/pulling uses and the reverse synchro goes out easy. I think I am going to put my T19 back in and install an auxiliary tranny....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've read this several times, but according to the manual, you aren't supposed to engage the GV until after 20 MPH and not in reverse.

It's best to only use those things in 3rd and 4th and only with the rpms up. (Mistakenly leaving one engaged down to idle is seriously not good), and to use a quality synthetic like Amsoil supershift or Redline synthetic ATf in the things. Synthetic will help to fend off some repairs, but not all. Running them low or excessive improperly timed downshifting ( low rpm)can kill them
When I had my shop, my specialty was European cars, especially volvos and lots of those things came from the factory with 4 speeds with Laycock OD units and I've rebuilt oodles of the things, and the late volvo units were built stouter than the GV units, the early volvo units were the same as the early gv units ( I've often wondered how a unit that was designed for a 3600 pound car gained duty in vehicles grossing 16k and then 25k, especially when the gv version has a lighter duty cone clutch than the factory volvo version cookoo )

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the shift throw of the 5 speeds, but would take the brute strength of the T-19 over the ZF any day. You can split 2, 3 and 4, and it won't hurt the GV. That in itself gives you better gear splits than a ZF. Get the Eaton 2 speed rear style switch to actuate the GV, and you have total control over when it is engaged. It's been written about in several different publications concerning everything from RV towing to serious racing rigs, and the GV tends to hold up very well.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the GV and the T19. Like stated above, you keep the strength of the T19, but you get an overdrive as well.

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I know you "can" shift them with a switch anytime you want, was just saying, it's not a good idea per GV and others. The GV controls and possibly even the laycock controls that will also work with the GV unit won't let you...but it's only electronics, you can get around it, but do you really want too?

I figure if I even use the GV unit I have, I'll turn it on at cruising RPM's. I currently have a 4 speed an honestly have never found the need for anything between the current gears...maybe someone has, but I honestly doubt it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Get the Eaton 2 speed rear style switch to actuate the GV, and you have total control over when it is engaged.

I know you "can" shift them with a switch anytime you want, was just saying, it's not a good idea per GV and others. The GV controls and possibly even the laycock controls that will also work with the GV unit won't let you...but it's only electronics, you can get around it, but do you really want too?

That is how I have mine set up with the C6, No electronics, just switch it on and off when needed. I have split the gears but like Scott said, I have no "NEED" to. It would be easier to split them with a Manual Trans, but it does work with the C6. I think Mel is a good gear splitter on the Lady Moose.

You must be registered for see images

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I figure if I even use the GV unit I have, I'll turn it on at cruising RPM's. I currently have a 4 speed an honestly have never found the need for anything between the current gears...maybe someone has, but I honestly doubt it.

So is this a bunch of sales hype? I copied this from the GV site at this location. http://www.gearvendors.com/faq.html
I definitely would believe real world experience before I believed this actual statement from the site, but wasn't sure. I know how companies like to pump their products up. I made the gear splitting part in bold letters

WHY IS GEAR VENDORS CALLED AN UNDER/OVERDRIVE™?

Isn't it just an overdrive?
Which is better an underdrive or an overdrive?

No competing underdrive or overdrive on the market will give you the performance of a GEAR VENDORS UNDER/OVERDRIVE™. In fact you could install both an underdrive and an overdrive of any other brand and still not have the performance of a GEAR VENDORS. The only thing an underdrive could do, that the GEAR VENDORS products will not, is get you a gear below 1st but for the few times this would be of any value virtually all customers would greatly prefer the performance, features, and other benefits of a GEAR VENDORS.

Let's cover the difference between a GEAR VENDORS and competing products for automatic transmission equipped vehicles (manual customers should read this but understand that outside of racing we do recommend you use your clutch when shifting). All other brands of auxiliary transmissions are simply dual ranges. They are meant to be put in low range when you are towing and high range when you are not. But the problem is that your vehicle has too few gears. Simply making your gears all lower or taller still leaves you with the same gap between each gear. So you could actually go slower with a dual range than you do now. You could shift these products while moving (one of them you need to go to neutral before you can shift and the other has no synchros but will perform a non-synchronized shift if you let off the gas), but these products are simply not designed to shift behind automatic transmissions.

The GEAR VENDORS, on the other hand, is built like an automatic. It has the expensive and reliable reaction planetary system, which is why it's compact and cylindrical in shape like your automatic. The GEAR VENDORS is designed to shift under any and all throttle conditions continuously, so when you need power you can go up or down just half a gear at a time (GearSplitting). Sure the GEAR VENDORS has always been the most expensive, but it also offers far greater performance and quality.

After the GEAR VENDORS is installed in your vehicle you will have twice as many underdrive ratios as you do now (1st, 1st-over, 2nd & 2nd-over) plus an overdrive gear (3rd-over) suitable for towing. If you also have factory overdrive you will now have 3-overdrive gear choices. Six or eight forward ratios that you can shift to sequentially, one after the other, for power unmatched by any other auxiliary transmission. There are many more differences ie: Automatic shifting, pressurized lubrication, fluid filters, 4500# roller clutch, etc., that you can read about elsewhere in this web site.

So, our trademark UNDER/OVERDRIVE refers to the fact that a GEAR VENDORS is a unique overdrive. One that can do everything both an underdrive or overdrive can do, better than any underdrive or overdrive available, except get you a gear below 1st.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION customers also gain several unique benefits related to horsepower handling, ease of shifting and other specific engineering differences between the GEAR VENDORS and other auxiliary transmissions. All other brands of auxiliaries are themselves small manual transmissions, so in order to gearsplit with any competing product you will either have a 2nd shift lever to move (difficult) or a non-synchronized box controlled by a button (not intended to shift often). Only the GEAR VENDORS is truly a convenient GearSplitter and designed to withstand the abuse of shifting continuously.

The idea that just having lower gears when towing or taller gears when running empty is not going to solve most customers problems. The problem is that there is too much rpm drop between some gears to maintain performance on grades and while towing. Another significant advantage with the GEAR VENDORS is that you can do all your towing with your main transmission in 1 to 1 (direct drive no gears) not in overdrive, using the GEAR VENDORS to take the stress of overdrive.

This greatly lowers transmission temperature and extends its life. We have many commercial customers that have found the main transmission reliable if they only use the factory overdrive gear when empty.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's hype, mine is not installed yet! But I have read the manual and know my truck with a T19 would never see 1st overdrive or possibly 2nd overdrive! I'd blow it up getting to 20 MPH in first and second isn't much better. I'm not sure you'd make enough pressure for it to work well either, although RPM's wouldn't be a problem in those two gears! :)

I would guess maybe pulling 3rd overdrive could be useful, not as high as 4th, but higher than 3rd but for me, it would be shifting through the four gears, then switching on the overdrive. Even with the 5 speed and a GV (which I'll have if I use the GV on this truck) I'd most likely drive it the same. Shift in the second OD at 50 MPH or so.

I like the T19 as well, but think the ZF5 is a good choice too. I'm putting one in mine in the near future, that's the next thing I'll be doing, but am waiting till better weather. The garage I worked in was freezing and the truck won't fit in my shop...it's too tall!