T-19 to Zf5

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Okay so I just want to confirm I have all the parts needed and ask about a couple other things for my zf5 swap.

Currently I have a 4x4 diesel zf5 from a 7.3 idi I want to swap into my 1985 6.9idi 4x4 4 speed.

I have the clutch kit SMF conversion by Luk

What else do I need? Will the pedal assembly, floor pan, and crossmember that are in my truck work for my Zf5?

Are there any other mounts I need?

Thank you for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked into doing the same swap. Cross-member and supports should be the same 3 piece design. I think you may need to re position it on the frame. You may also need a different (shorter?) driveline if the overall length to the yoke is different (I think it is). I think the hydraulics (clutch master/slave cylinder) are different and I've read you need to do something with the pedal. I know there is a lot of I think in there (and not a lot of I know) - sorry bout that.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't need a different pedal assembly. You have a T19, it won't need to change. Pedal assemblies are an issue when you covert an auto to a manual (T-19 or ZF5).

Cross member can be used, but like stated, may need a position change on the frame.

I didn't need a drive shaft when swapping from C6 to ZF5 in my '86.

Floor pan is different (taller). Will need that. If your bullnose truck is 4x4, you will also need to cut the opening for the transfer case shifter into the ZF5 floor pan.

Hydraulics - can use your T19 stuff.

Flywheel/clutch - need ZF5 set.

Need the boot and shifter for a ZF5 as well.

Neutral safety switch - I just jumped it together. I can engage the starter in or out of gear, clutch in our out.

Heath

Last edited:

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this information! I also made a post in a facebook page and one of the members stated he was able to use the floorpan in his 1987 truck for the swap. I have a bullnose so will it have to be swapped?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this information! I also made a post in a facebook page and one of the members stated he was able to use the floorpan in his 1987 truck for the swap. I have a bullnose so will it have to be swapped?

'87 is the ******* love child of a bullnose and a bricknose truck LOL

Most diesels had a 6.9 with all the updates, 7.3L filter head and zd-9 glowplug system. The 7.3 was available, and was the diesel option for the superduty, and it could be ordered in the lighter trucks.

Floorpan was for a zf-5 already, and it was the only year you could factory spec either carb or EFI on the gas engines.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From a salvage yard or from someone who has an old truck sitting around. They just bolt in and the worst part is pulling back the carpet to get to it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floor pan is a must have. Your ‘85 transfer case shifter goes through the pan. On ‘87-‘94 is goes through the side of the trans tunnel on the cab.

So, like started earlier, you will have to cut an opening for your transfer case shifter in the ZF5 compatible floor pan.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the floor pan does NOT have to be from a diesel. You can use the floor pan from any truck of that era that had a ZF5 (gas or diesel).

Heath

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for the information! So if I understand I can use a floor pan from a f150, f250, f350, f450 gas or diesel, Rwd or 4x4, years 1987-1994? As long as it had the Zf5?

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
This is a conversation from a Facebook page I am apart of and the guy used his floor pan no problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI. if he's swapping to ZF5 md using his OG transfer, why would he need anything different?
the 4wd selector mounting bosses from the T-19 vs the ZF5 are the same....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online