stuck injectors, known tricks arent working.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Installing my new dps injectors, got four done. Had two injectors separate on me though. I did use top half of the injector with the threads ground off and a slide hammer. It just ripped the threads right off where the nozzle cap spins on. Open to suggestions before my truck becomes a lawn ornament.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That sucks, but this is a great time for some head studs.

Hmmm, I would probably try soaking them in ATF overnight.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soak them with carburetter cleaner, it's made to soften carbon. Keep turning the top part in until it turns freely and soaking until it does, then use the slide hammer to pull them out. If there carboned up real bad, may take awhile to soften the carbon.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is something really wrong with the injector bores if you can't remove the stuck tips like you described. Carb cleaner sounds like the best idea. Or find something called Mercury Outboard Carbon Cleaner. It cleans out carbon. When you pour any cleaner into the bore place the injector back in the tip while you can because its stuck. Let it sit overnite. Then tap the injector with a hammer all around the sides and top. This will break the carbon bond. Hope this helps. Once the parts are out you need to check the seat for combustion cuts. Use a dental pick. Drag it around the seat surface. If it gets stuck thats a cut and needs to be cleaned up with a seat reamer. 35 lbs is the torque required for proper installation of the injector..

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I think the reason why this happened so bad is I accidentally set my torque wrench to 25ft-lbs when I installed them. I just realized it as I was installing the first four injectors yesterday. I guess I will get some cleaner and take another shot at them.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I went and got some seafoam deep creep. Supposed to remove carbon deposits. Gonna keep soaking them over the next few days and try removing them again.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
keep soaking them, then crank it over. 400 psi might work.... throw a towel over the engine just in case it does work.....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I probably will try that first. I tried it once already but I still had the top half of the injector out so it just blew the internal parts out of the bottom half.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well I am at my wits end, the dam things will not come out. I even got my slide hammer to thread in and it just pulls the threads off. I don't know what to do....except shoot it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Could something be welded into the bore to grip on the slide hammer?

If you disconnected the glow plugs and tried some starting fluid to fire the cylinder it might create enough pressure to shoot it out. Obviously this is all at your own risk and there is risk! It would be much more violent then popping it out with compression alone. You would probably want a bomb suit for you and your truck.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I would rather not run the risk of blowing something up. Really don't think I can get anything welded down in that tiny hole.

I don't know what to do right now, I scrapped out as much of the carbon as I could. I was thinking about hammering a screwdriver into the gap between the cup and the hole. Maybe I can crush the cup and free it up. With my luck the screwdriver will break in the whole making things harder.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a 1/2" drill motor, attach it to the fuel line connection, spin the hell outta it while pulling up.

Forget the torque wrench when installing, crank em down good and tight.