Injector O-Ring Install

gandalf

Reaction score
Periodically we read about people having problems sliding the o-rings into position on their injectors, nicking the rubber and causing subsequent leaks. Getting them past the threaded portion of the injector seems to present a challenge. I've recently remembered a method Calvin taught me a number of years ago.

I use the cap from a government issued felt tip marker. Yes, government issued equipment does have it's uses. It slips on the injector to cover the threads. Grease it and the o-ring and that o-ring slides right on. You might even sand it down a bit to take the edge off the grooves on the cap. I suggest that you install the closest o-ring first, and let the second o-ring slid right over the first.

And since we all love and understand pictures:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 16

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice idea.
I just installed my new ones yesterday and went over the threads. Hopefully they're all okay.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have done o-rings on both the F250 and E350 by hand, using cheap petroleum jelly. Worked fine both times and seems to last a long time.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zicam bottle cap
I think its in the tech 101

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't know or think to use anything to cover the threads on the 1st go-around. And so I have a few leakers.
I got some more o-rings today and used a Carmex lip balm cap to cover the threads while putting the new o-rings on. I only had time to do one injector but it seems to be dry now. I'll stick with this method.
Thanks for the tip.