Injector O-Ring Install

gandalf

Reaction score
Periodically we read about people having problems sliding the o-rings into position on their injectors, nicking the rubber and causing subsequent leaks. Getting them past the threaded portion of the injector seems to present a challenge. I've recently remembered a method Calvin taught me a number of years ago.

I use the cap from a government issued felt tip marker. Yes, government issued equipment does have it's uses. It slips on the injector to cover the threads. Grease it and the o-ring and that o-ring slides right on. You might even sand it down a bit to take the edge off the grooves on the cap. I suggest that you install the closest o-ring first, and let the second o-ring slid right over the first.

And since we all love and understand pictures:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 16

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice idea.
I just installed my new ones yesterday and went over the threads. Hopefully they're all okay.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have done o-rings on both the F250 and E350 by hand, using cheap petroleum jelly. Worked fine both times and seems to last a long time.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zicam bottle cap
I think its in the tech 101

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't know or think to use anything to cover the threads on the 1st go-around. And so I have a few leakers.
I got some more o-rings today and used a Carmex lip balm cap to cover the threads while putting the new o-rings on. I only had time to do one injector but it seems to be dry now. I'll stick with this method.
Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01