Still possible to get a 6.9/7.3 4x4 for under $10k?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

About 5 years ago, a 351W/5spd version of that truck was given to me for free - because the brake lines had rusted through. Gave it to a friend in need of a truck, who repaired it, and uses it.

How times change.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it another year or two. Lots of wishful-thinking and 'feeler' grade ads still due to pandemic fallout.

You want to see overpriced std cabs, check out the 1stgen cummins dodge scene ;Really
The thing is, that Cummins COMMANDS a higher price over the IDI trucks. And quite frankly, I'll always say it's almost a "worship" thing. If you take 87 Chevy short bed Silverado, 350 TBI, headlight over headlight, put it next to a Ford of the same caliber the Chevy will get 4 or 5 times what the ford will , chevy guys "worship" at the feet of those plain Looking boxes, I mean, come on they made the same body for 20yrs! And I think those first gen Cummins suffer from the same condition. I saw a 03 5.9 on CL, out of the truck, can't hear it run, sitting on a pallet, for $5k. I might add, it's gone. But noooo.....not me.... I'm a level headed Ford guy! I don't overpay for my old trucks! I don't go on and on about my 350! No sir! And I might add...... what company DID NOT take the government cheese in 08 or 09 and weathered the storm just fine! Oh say can you see, but the dawn's early light! Now that's 'MERICAN!!!!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The thing is, that Cummins COMMANDS a higher price over the IDI trucks. And quite frankly, I'll always say it's almost a "worship" thing. If you take 87 Chevy short bed Silverado, 350 TBI, headlight over headlight, put it next to a Ford of the same caliber the Chevy will get 4 or 5 times what the ford will , chevy guys "worship" at the feet of those plain Looking boxes, I mean, come on they made the same body for 20yrs! And I think those first gen Cummins suffer from the same condition.
I absolutely, 100% agree.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If your handy and willing to learn, going with a newer PSD is not all bad. The 7.3's PSD's were awesome. The 6.0's had issues but helps make them affordable. So find a decent 7.3 or 6.0 PSD (perhaps rebuilt in the last 50,000 miles.) and you are good to go. If I could have found a running 7.3 or 6.0 PSD back when I needed a truck that could tow I would be driving one. (Folks wanted 5-7K for one with a half torn appart motor.) I paid $2,500 for my IDI, the only issue was the owner could not find a VRV valve so he gave up. It shifted like a mule so he was not finding any takers. After a couple months of looking I just went and tore it apart to learn it was adjustable at the head. Whamo, free and it was shifting great again!

The IDI is easier to diagnose and work on. Way more of us in this part of oil burners than the PSD side of the house.

But being able to go 80mph, being able to pull what ever speed you want, having a newer truck, and having a Crewcab does not suck!

Like you I would look at alternatives before I paid more than 8K for an IDI. Let us know how it works out, hoping you find something great.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It is no different....ford, gm, or dodge. Certain years (at certain times) are just more "desirable" than others for what ever reasons.

Where I live, right now, the prices people are asking and paying for the 94-97 powerstroke crewcab 4x4s is just stupid. After those, the chevys in the 87-91 (stuff that is still the square body style) are selling for more than they were ever worth...
The dodges, even the "first gen" diesels seem to be more reasonable than they were in the past years. Now, for whatever reason the prices on 94-02dodge diesel trucks is all jacked up.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, ultimately the thing is the ones that have been maintained by us who have had them for years are not willing to let them go, even with diesel prices on the rise. Keep looking, they are out there in 2wd because they commonly dont know what they have, 4wd usually has been carefully guarded and those owners know what they have. Mine will go to my kids. 1989 7.3 4x4 IDI, everything rebuilt or replaced except motor, daily driven to work, second owner. Left pic prior to paint, body bushings, springs, etc. right almost done, but never done ;)

Attachments

• 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 10

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The 87 F250 RWD in my sig needs to go, but it's in Arkansas.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I overpaid on my truck. $4250 with a rusted out bed and no brakes. St. Cab 4x4 manual. It's been a can of worms I regret lol. I'm in deep now though and there's no backing out.:Thumbs Up

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
You all talking bout insurance earlier…. About 4yr ago we had about 3’ of snow. I had my 4x4 locked in on my CCDually trying to back around in-curvy driveway. I slowly slide over into a Juniper tree and eventually busted the rt fiberglass fender and bent the rear bumper, all this buzzing back and forth about 2’ trying to get away from that Juniper tree. Rigged comealong across drive. Lots of dirty words.
Got ahold insurance co. I have full coverage. Got estimates.
Insurance Co wanting give me $3800 & total it. Told them NO!!! If that all then-replace it. They came up everything from a 1/2 ton gas rig to all kinds of junk.
Kept telling them the list &my cost of everything I’ve done to Bessie. She do need a paint job actually, but that’s down the road.
Me and insurance company still fighting. Last time I talked to them though been bout 9 months ago cause I got so damn mad at that stupid gal I had to just get away from the whole subject for a while.
They even got me on a…. well I guess a charge or something where they raised my rates like I had a chargeable accident….. at home in my own driveway.

And as someone above said they leaving it to their kids…. Me too!!!
I figure bout 20-30-40 more yrs Bessie be worth bout 1-2 million dollars!! hahaha LOL
You younger guys hang round and watch, see if I’m rite LOL

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, you said under $10K...

Here is an 87 4 X 4 for $4500...not pretty

93 4 X 4 for $ 5,000

90 4 X 4 for $1400, does need engine and a few other things.

84 4 X 4 but guy wants to barter

94 4 X 4 $5500

85 4 X 4 $7,000
In Oregon, but has Vermont plate.

94 4 X 4 $8,000

93 4 X 4 $8,300

90 4 X 4 5 spd $5500

85 F350 4 X 4 Centurion? $6500

Goat

Last edited:

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate seeing those listings Goat. I could never get CL to work for me on this area.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score