Still possible to get a 6.9/7.3 4x4 for under $10k?

eacars

Reaction score
just lower your standards i payed 2k for my 6.9

Supply and demand, the cost of new ones, drives up prices. You may have to ad another couple thousand for diesel fuel to tow them home..lol

eacars

Reaction score
I have been interested in getting a diesel IDI F-250 to use for a slide in camper, but I am wondering if I missed the chance to get one. I have looked at 6 of them now and the ads are all "$7,500 good condition, price is firm, no lowballers, I know what I got" etc.

Then I show up and the truck isn't even safe to drive (brake pedal goes to the floor, stuck calipers, fuel leaks, gear oil leaks, coolant leaks/cracked radiator, 30 degrees of play in the steering, door hinges so worn that the edge of the door and fender are mangled, rust holes, long expired registration, big parts of the dash missing with wires dangling everywhere, etc, then the seller says "it's 30 years old, what do you expect?"

I bought a beater 1987 Mercedes diesel back in 2018 for $880 and drove it home, and it was still better than any of the $7,500 trucks I looked at. Is it unreasonable to find a truck that isn't perfect but is in good enough condition to drive on an 800 mile trip without major repairs for that price anymore? I am thinking I should probably give up on finding one that this point but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask for opinions here.
I bought my F350 4wd cc new in 94 for 23K and I have been thinking about selling it soon. A few years back I found a Reading utility bed that is all aluminum. Very rare because at the time they cost 10 K just for the utility bed. About eight years ago I added a brand new full banks turbo kit at 186K. New injection pump set at Banks specs and reman. injectors. The kit came with a full banks exhaust which I removed after a couple months, and kept the 4 foot extention straight pipe ( for crew cab application) with a turn out that provides a sweet turbo whistle although a little louder. Now it has 250 K. Hardly used 4wd. Early on, I changed out the auto locking hubs with WARN manual hubs. The only rust down at the bottom of the left front fender. I have two new replacement fenders. Underside has a couple small spots that should be sand blasted and coated but no holes. Over the years I’ve done all the maintenance myself by reading on this forum. Change the oil and filter every 3K. And have a logbook which everything gets entered into. I have most of the old parts that I’ve removed over the years. I have new gas tanks sending units fuel selector valves radiator core support, redid differentials with 4:10's instead of 3:55's. With 35" tires, it is a good combination for my needs. the clutch pack in the 10.25 rear end ( still have jig to hold unit while doing the spiders), 125K had a jasper updated transmission installed. A pillar gauge cluster w/ oil pressure, EGT and boost. Nice stereo with DVD and optional remote ( backup) camera. A couple Brake Vac. Boosters , master cylinders, and Vac. pump. Occasionally it still goes into limp mode and I usually just readjust the TPS or unplug the harness on the left side Where it plugs into the MLPS and fiddle with it by twisting the little prongs in a slight angle to make better connection and plug it back in and it works good for another six months or so. Funny that’s all it was doing when the people told me I needed a new transmission but I didn’t know these things that the forum speaks of. Anyway, I was wondering what would be a fair price for mine? I don’t think I would go below 10k and I think it would be a steal at that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the OP is looking for under $5, and 4 X 4. But dang this is a Creame Puff, owned over 20yrs and 65K original miles in Sacramento. Thought I would throw it out there.

85 F-250 6.9 4 X 4 $6

Here is everything you want in a truck.
4 X 4, 5-spd, 7.3 Factory Turbo, 95K miles....
Except for the price. :eek:

85 6.9 4 X 4 4-spd

90 7.3, 4 X 4, $6k

93 4 X 4, $4,500
Is in Davenport, Ca. which is along the coast.

88 F250 4 X 4, 5-spd

Goat

Last edited:

StephenZ

Reaction score
I just bought a 1994 7.3 with the factory turbo, with a ZF5 and BW transfer case, title as well for $650.

Issue, rings severely worn out. Also “a small crack in the ZF5 bellhousing.”
Crack ended up being the whole case lol.
Needless to say picked up a “new to me” zf5 from the junk yard for $100, because it was “locked up” due to water getting in it over the past few weeks. ‍♂️

Took the casing off the locked up, threw it on the broke bellhousing ZF5, put the freshly rebuilt 7.3 idi I had in the shop in the truck, and bingo it works as it should.

So yes the answer is you can find them, just got to do the leg work.

I’ve seen some completely refurbished and redone IDIs in South Louisiana for around $6500 and when I say they are in great shape, they are. The paints in great condition, tires have tread ready to ride on, and all fluids have been serviced accordingly.

Just gotta find you a “sh1tbox.” And make it into what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online