Steering Gear Replacement Question

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped in a new Blue Top Steering gear box and converted to hydroboost (the write up in the Tech articles is amazing BTW)

Everything went pretty smooth, on the hydroboost side of things.

Unfortunately the Steering gear fought me, I marked everything in a line when I took my gear off, I locked my steering wheel in place with the seat belt, But with fluid everywhere, having the bet the snot out of the pitman arm to get it off, I lost my marks.

When I put the gear back in, I may have done it out of order and screwed up Heres how I did it, so I took both boxes side by side and lined up the arm, I installed the new gear box in the truck, I then installed the track bar into the pitman arm, I had to jack up the truck to get the TB into place. Once I got that in place and the wheels straight as possible again (F250 TTB Enough said ) I went to tighten the pitman arm nut, and in doing this I moved the arm to the passenger side when cranking on the nut. I tried to move it back close to center as possible, but who knows. So When I put my steering wheel shaft back on I had to turn the shaft of the steering wheel, to get it to line up.

My question is, now my wheel is off center, will just a simple alignment take care of my steering wheel being off, or worse am I gonna loose turning radius due to the box not being center?

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pitman arm should only be able to go on/off one way. The splines are keyed between the steering gear and pitman arm (if you look closely one of the splines is "fatter" than the others). It can only go on one way without some obvious galling and force.

I would get an alignment since it's cheap and it's good to do after messing with steering anyway. If - after your alignment - your steering wheel still isn't point "straight" or 12 o'clock when your tires are, rent a steering wheel puller from the parts store. First, make sure your tires are straight when you pull into your driveway. Then pull the steering wheel and put it back on in the 12 o'clock position. The splines on the column and steering wheel are not keyed so that can go on how ever you want. It takes longer to rent the tool than to do it.

You may just tell the alignment guys this and they might do it for you.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Ok that’s good advice,

My turning ability left and right is not gonna be effected by not having the gear dead center correct?
That’s limited by the axle not the steering box? That’s my main concern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless it’s way off to were it will hit the frame you should be fine. I think the knuckles are the limitation on the 50s?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Wes, you're right its the knuckles that limit the turn. There is a bolt that stick out that comes in contact with the axle to stop the turn.

I just bled the system, and took it for a test drive. I can turn fully side to side, just need an alignment. I was over worried about my gear box being in true center, but even if im off its the axle that limits the turn not the steering box.

Also I can say the Blue Top steering boxes are nice, I mean anything is gotta be better than the clapped out one I had.

Thanks for the help

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Even after an alignment, my steering wheel is off center some. It's probably partly the used gearbox I got from a junk yard Ranger, but the one in the truck when I got it leaked and this one doesn't. The leaking one was sloppy but so is this one. Sometimes I think I'd do better with manual steering compared to this, especially since remanned gears are sloppy too, I've read.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
You say that until you have manual steering lol

The blue top is nice, my old one I could only turn left, if I went right I was only able to get a quarter turn, so anything is better than that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You say that until you have manual steering lol

The blue top is nice, my old one I could only turn left, if I went right I was only able to get a quarter turn, so anything is better than that lol

Yeah. Power steering blew out on a 91 Corolla I had. It used individual belts still so I just removed the belt for the power steering pump and had manual steering. While in motion it was ok, not so much at a complete stop.

I can't remember if the 93 Geo Metro had power steering or not; but I'm thinking not. It wasn't as bad.

Of course the IDI weighs about as much as a whole Geo Metro, so manual steering would be another thing entirely.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even after an alignment, my steering wheel is off center some. It's probably partly the used gearbox I got from a junk yard Ranger, but the one in the truck when I got it leaked and this one doesn't. The leaking one was sloppy but so is this one. Sometimes I think I'd do better with manual steering compared to this, especially since remanned gears are sloppy too, I've read.
The guy that aligned it should have made the wheel centered during the process. It's definitely (supppsed to be) part of the service. Pretty simple to do yourself, too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The guy that aligned it should have made the wheel centered during the process. It's definitely (supppsed to be) part of the service. Pretty simple to do yourself, too.

I mentioned it but they said that's as good as it can get due to the gearbox.

cason234

Reaction score
I've been through this a couple of times with our local alignment shop (Les Schwab Tire Center)...... I make a point of saying I want the steering wheel to point straight when I get the vehicle back, and if it isn't right, I bring it back immediately. Typically, they're embarrassed and apologetic that I had to bring it back in. (and they have it done right in a few minutes with a few twists of the tie rod end adjusters)