Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to return my gas pump if possible. It is extremely irritating to use .. The hose is rock hard and has zero flexibility. I do not recommend a Tiger Flex hose for oil collection. It would work great in a permanently mounted situation where it does not move but it is impossible to work with on a regular basis. If I can return the pump I will only be out $150 for the hose and fittings.

I'm going to search AGAIN for a large enough tank to build a super sucker. I want it to be large enough to collect at least 1 barrel.

I'm now stuck with 3 full drums of oil in the back of my truck. Awesome.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just get better fuel hose, like the stuff fuel stations use that have flexibility?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2" pump so I would have to reduce it down to, what, 1" or 3/4"? That's a pretty big reduction isn't it? It's hard for me to put another $100+ into this setup, I already over spent on it.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2" pump with 1" suction and 3/4" output hose and it has no issues. I just don't see the point in spending more on a slower pump that requires electrcity when all you need is different hose which you'll probably have to buy anyways for the other pump.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read back through this thread last night and saw that you have a 2" pump. I was thinking you had a 1 1/2" pump reduced to 1" . Well, if it's working fine for you I will do the same.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I would love to see some so I have a better idea of what hose and fittings to get so that I don't waste money on the wrong stuff again.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to get some pictures. W just got a foot of snow so it's all covered right now. I bought only 10' of coolant hose (pretty sure that's what it is) and 20' of clear nylon? hose from Lowes. It's the clear hose that has white fibers reinforcing it. Both have not been affected by the oil and gas I've pumped through it for the past few years however the clean hose has kinked where it come off the barb. I also think both are too short. The coolant hose is a little stiff as well.

The way I have it set up is just with barbs that have adapters that go up to 2". On the output I have a 3/4" filter base and then a barb on the output of that the hose is on. I need to revise my setup with check valves so I don't have to wait for my pickup hose to drain everytime I am done pumping from my IBC totes. I also want to have a a y split from the output so I can choose to either have it filtered or non filtered for when I am just transfering when pickiing up oil. I also want to get a counting meter to monitor how much fuel I use.

Surplus center has the meter and also has a hose reel that has 50' of 3/4" hose but it's not cheap @ $160. Ebay has auto shutoff nozzle for $70 for the 30GPM ones.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=20-1632&catname=water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Yellow-St...936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be4c9e18

I recently got a good length of 3/4" hose from a guy that does concrete. Not sure what it's rated for but it's flexible and decently thick. Feels and looks heavyduty. Has a similar build to the coolant hose. It is also fiber rencofrced. Probably going to chnage my pickup to this for the extra length.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope you guys are using your block heaters. if your not, that a foolish move. Blaming the WMO for the lazy start is a false flag.

Plug it in!

I run only WMO and it wont start if I dont plug it in.

I mix 90/10 sometimes less depending where I get fuel from.

Javier

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent hours in town trying to reduce it without a million adapters. I finally found a galvanized 2"-1 1/2" .. after staring at it for awhile I said screw it, I'm not paying $20 for this thing and continued my search. I came up empty and went home. I found these and I think it will work fine :

http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/p/s...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=COSczNPNw7QCFQ_hQgodJ3IAMA

Then I'm going to buy the spa hose ( off colored white) .

Hopefully that will work. I'll put a foot valve between the suction hose end and suction wand. Maybe one on the discharge side too.

Also, if anyone is building a super sucker ... My 2" hose would work perfect. I'll sell it super cheap.

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope you guys are using your block heaters. if your not, that a foolish move. Blaming the WMO for the lazy start is a false flag.

Plug it in!

I run only WMO and it wont start if I dont plug it in.

I mix 90/10 sometimes less depending where I get fuel from.

Javier

I don't have a power source outside so I can't plug mine in. It usually fires instantly in this cold weather and idles perfect. When I shut down on the wmo it nearly drained my batteries before barely firing and stumbling for awhile. My wmo mix was just a hair thicker than diesel but apparently it makes all the difference. It's easy for me to switch to diesel when shutting down so I just do that.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making WMO for use as fuel is an important decision to make.

I tried it at first with 5 gallon buckets and filter bags.
worked fine until my arms got tired.

As I upgraded I decided screw it I dont have time to be cheap about it to end up with a poor quality batch.

So I purchased a machine that does collection and final processing. with a few mods to collect WMO I save a bunch of time.

I also made an upflow process to collect WMO then I run it through my filter cart.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...=151&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:100

When I process 50 gallons it only takes 1 hour for a single pass cleaning process.

My machine will move 5 gallons in 40 seconds through two 10 micron filters.

After 1 hour 50 gallons is ready to pour into my truck

I bought my cart on Ebay for $600 and 100 shipping, filters cost $30/60 each and process around 250 gallons.

Very efficient system.

Javier

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have more than that in my setup, hindsight sucks .. Hopefully I will be set after these last few parts.

I have more wmo sources than I can collect at the moment, I really need this pump to work efficiently without making a mess ... and more storage tanks.