PoBoy centrifuge build

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been designing a wmo centrifuge setup with the cheapest available materials I can find, luckily I manage a fabrication shop :D

The first item I dug up in my junk parts pile, a Johnson treadmill motor, 90V DC, 2.25 hp, 3150 rpm. I needed a controller for it which I found on AliExpress for 130$ cad.
You must be registered for see images attach

It has a 1/2"-13 reverse thread with a 5/8 shaft so I dropped off the PoBoy bowl I bought from WVO Designs at a machine shop. The bowl comes with a 1" center hole, I'm having a custom adapter made which I'll press in.

I welded up the housing & oil heater today, the housing is 12" in diameter & 6" tall, based on the PoBoy drawings they have on their website.

Top & bottom are 10ga 304 stainless, the rib is 14ga & bumped on the press brake. 2x 1/2" npt outlets & a hydraulic seal housing. The inner seperator is 16ga, 1.5" high.

I forgot to cut the opening on the top plate before leaving work on Friday so I have to wait to put on the top ring .

The oil heater I made out of a 2" sanitary pipe, about 14" long. 3/4 npt on the bottom for a 1250W 120V cartridge heater that's still in the mail, 1/2 npt for the inlet by the heating element. On top there's a 1/4 npt outlet & a 1/2 npt for the temp sensor.

1/2...

Last edited:

WMO4IDI

Reaction score

I picked up a basic REX-C100 temperature controller with a solid state relay to control the heater for roughly 50$ cad.

It came with a M6 short sensor so I ordered a 2" one with 1/2 npt threading for another 20$.

Up to now I've spent:

- 385$ Poboy + shipping
- 130$ Motor controller
- 70$ temp control
- 50$ cartridge heater

Up to 635$ in monopoly money so far, materials are all scraps from the shop.

Maybe another 50$ in piping, valves & fittings.

I'm looking at buying 2 or 3 half totes (500 liters) for 50$ each to stack together. Top for decanting & first pass, 2nd for well, 2nd pass (i'll see). And the bottom for the clean stuff.

Another part of the project is a 120v motor to drive a power steering pump to fill the truck. I'll get to it.

I'm also trying to find a cheap 12v motor to run another power steering pump for picking up waste oil.

Hopefully by next weekend I can get the motor mount/fuge frame figured out & built.

I'll update the thread in due time.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Finally updating this thread... I ended up going all out on a fancy electrical box for the motor & temperature controllers.

I had some 3/16" lexan & aluminum trim left over us an Allen Bradley start/stop control box I picked up in a scrap bin years ago so I decided to make something of it.

I also found some fancy water proof twist lock connectors for the motor & oil heater.

Besides the on/off buttons, it's just a contactor, an SSR, the motor & temp controllers inside a box pretty much. Keep it all nice & tidy.

My initial plan was to screw everything onto a piece of plywood bu got weary of an oil mess ruining the electronics. I might have slightly went overboard...

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
The enclosure is finished as well.

I'm trying my luck with 1/2" pipe & a hydraulic quick connect for the inlet, I'll see how it flows. I plan on gravity feeding from an IBC tote right now.

I ran tests with the oil heater filled with water, took less than a minute for the 1250W cartridge heater to bring it up to 150F.

I have the 1/4" pipe outlet set up a half inch from the bottom of the PoBoy... no clue about optimal placement, time will tell.

The outlets, missing a few ball valves still.

Last but not least, a cute little electrical box.

Now it's finally time to hunt down some IBC totes, hoping to find half totes (130 gals) so they're easier to move around & setup.

In addition to the initial 650$, I spent another 350$ on electrical components, pipe fittings/valves & hydraulic quick connects. 1000$ cad for a poboy centrifuge setup, could've gone a bit cheaper but I wanted to only build it once.

Last edited:

sieg01

Reaction score
You really have a lot of time. And it looks great!

I believe that it would be more practical - during ownership/running it - to have the motor next to the bowl. A chain, gear (both probably noisy) or belt drive would do the trick.
Problem is the leaking and maintenance a "motor under the bowl" construction requires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.