Centrifuge first run with pictures

Patrol

Reaction score
Its been a saga getting this up and running with failed attempts at pumps(car power steering and clapped out old pumps)
Aswell as restrictions from too smaller suction hoses and weld in fittings(trying to achieve an outcome with free stuff from work) also tried to skimp out on a motor to drive it(1/4 horse drill press) but finally got something I'm happy with.

3hp over kill motor that was cheaper than anything else mated to a massy Ferguson tractor power steering pump that suplies a 120gph centrifuge. Too thin my oil out I'm running a 2200w immersion heater rod and temp controller from a brewery shop that takes about 1and a half hours to get it up to temp un insulated.

All of this setup is run on qrc couplings to lessen mess and make it easy to deal with.

Cost total minus muck ups is $1000 usd
With muck ups closer to $1300 usd
And a lot of ******** about. Think one of my main problems was drag on the rotor, never sounded like it got upto speed until it just did 1 day while scratching my head and running it up for the umpteenth time. Now it's working as I think it should.

Now for a question, how much gunk do you think I should be getting out of a 12 hour pass at 200f
This is tractor hydraulic oil strait from the tractor. I've only gotten 2 teaspoons tops, do I continue or move to blending? And if so how much rug should I cut the trans oil with 10%?
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is Awesome!!! Look at a thread call "heating verses thinning before centerfuging" there's a bit of discussion about the amount to expect......kinda. how many gallons......liters.....pesos.....omers...... handfuls or whatever unit unit you prefer did you centerfuge to get that?

Edit: I'm referencing @NeverHave-I-Ether , so when he logs in he'll see this and chime in.

Last edited:

Patrol

Reaction score
Cheers.
I had a read of that post and it kinda helps, most of the old people seem to be using are a mix where as this stuff I'm getting is straight trans/hydraulic oil .
The amount I'm processing is about 160 liters to get that much sludge. Potentially my oil is cleaner than I thought? I was expecting way more sluge

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're getting your oil from a single location and it's only one type of stuff, it might be that clean. I don't know much about centruging but what you got out might be what you expect, based on what @Mt_Man got from 275gal. The other guys will chime in at some point, and they'll know more than me.

Patrol

Reaction score
I was thinking that, but I dont have anything to go off of so thought here would be the best place to find out. If you dont use a centrifuge what do you use

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that, but I dont have anything to go off of so thought here would be the best place to find out. If you dont use a centrifuge what do you use
I just settle and filter right now. There's a centerfuge in my future, but for now it's low tech. I have a thread "Jesus Freaks WMO thread", if you go to end of the thread there's a picture of my current set up and description. Centerfuge is better, but $$$ is limited.

PossumTruck

Reaction score
Hydraulic fluid should be very clean in comparison to motor oil - its like apples and oranges unless something bad happened to the equipment using the fluid. I would not expect to see globs of stuff from an essentially sealed system. Scoring used hydraulic oil is like getting a white whale (as long as its not the fire-resistant stuff).

Patrol

Reaction score
Hydraulic fluid should be very clean in comparison to motor oil - its like apples and oranges unless something bad happened to the equipment using the fluid. I would not expect to see globs of stuff from an essentially sealed system. Scoring used hydraulic oil is like getting a white whale (as long as its not the fire-resistant stuff).
Its newholland tractor trans oil/hydraulic oil, dont think its flame resistant stuff, put some on a rag and it burnt if that means anything?

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seconded that Hydraulic and tractor fluid should be really clean. It's not exposed to combustion by-products so really no "engine sludge." Some batches are cleaner then others. Have to see what comes out of each one and see how dirty it is. Nice score!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online