Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you guys found to be the best way to clean your fuge? I'm quickly getting tired of going through so many paper towels. I can't use shop rags, it would be an even bigger waste because I don't have a shop dedicated washer to clean them.

I've been thinking about a parts washer. Would it be a bad idea to clean everything with water, dry it off and toss it back together? What about washing it with chemicals?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use a 5qt ice cream pail with gas in it. First I'll scrape out the heavy grease, then I'll drop the pieces into the pail and use a paintbrush to scrub/clean them off. This uses maybe 1/4 gallon for every 10 cleanings and as long as I don't have people in the garage knocking stuff over, is relatively clean and doesn't make a mess.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leswhitt : What are your thoughts on the viscosity test times?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i don't usually do this but holding the top of the fuge between my boots my pressure washer cleans it out in 5 seconds or less.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ones got me stumped, I'll post up pics of my test when I get back home and we'll see where the difference lies.

Could the temperature of the fluid be causing the difference? Diesel and oil will thin out as it heats up... going from outside to a heated garage my make a significant difference..

just an idea
-Chris

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil and diesel was kept and tested outside in the mid thirties.

I had my first issue today. I decided to shut down on the wmo and see how it would start on it cold the last time I had driven it. This morning I BARELY got it fired. I won't be doing that again. Once it fired up it idled fine and u let it fully warm up. I headed down my driveway and on to collect some wmo. I made it 1 mile down the road when it lost all power. I quickly pulled over and switched back to diesel. Then I brought it up to 2k rpm's for a few seconds which it was barely able to do. After a few seconds it sounded and felt like a straw that had something stuck in it and then the clog shot out the end. It shot up to 3k and ran fine again. I was scared to switch back because I had an appointment so I drove on the diesel.

When this happened my tank was pretty low. Maybe I sucked gunk off the bottom and plugged it temporarily? Should I change the fuel filter?

It didn't start bucking , it just had zero power. When the " clog shot out" it instantly returned to normal.

I am going to pump the tank out and see what the oil looks like. That will hopefully remove any gunk that is in there.

There is good news though! I have 700 gallons lined up and a VW shop that is willing to let me collect regularly.

Last edited:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats happening is the oil is cold in your fuel tank and the pump is having a hard time pulling it. I don't drive mine unless the temp is above 50. First time it happened to me is scared me, the fuel filter restriction light came on so I changed the filter. That didn't really help, so I figured out it was starving for fuel because the viscosity was to much for the mech. pump.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to the issue with it losing power, I have put 400 miles on this mix in the same temp. The only difference is that I usually start and stop on diesel. I let the truck fully warm up to the temperature it usually is before I switch to the wmo before I took off.

Maybe the last bit of wmo in the tank is thicker? It does sound like it could have been a fuel line plugged with thick wmo, sludge, or..?

My mix was almost identical to the viscosity of diesel.

I guess it would have to be something that was stuck in the.line since I didn't have to change the filter.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Holley Red.. maybe it's time to toss it on. It would probably handle the wmo better.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you let it run long enough, the return fuel will "warm" the tank to a point and that would help. My W85 is not near as thin a viscosity as D2. Dunno, maybe you did have something plug the line? :dunno

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current mix has a lot of atf and hydraulic fluid in it. That's probably why it's so thin.

I'll drain the tank tomorrow and see how it looks. Hopefully it was just a fluke :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Homeless,
Could you take the fuel line off and blow air through the line, listening for bubbling sounds in the tank.
The reverse of syphoning fuel out of a tank.
I wouldn't use compressed air, just your own breath. Just in case something would "pop" off in the tank.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would be ideal to disconnect the line and blow into it? If I disconnect it at the fsv I would get a mouthful of wmo if it's not plugged between it and the tank. If I disconnected the hard line from the lift pump to filter, at the top, and selected the rear tank .. that would work, right?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you guys found to be the best way to clean your fuge? I'm quickly getting tired of going through so many paper towels. I can't use shop rags, it would be an even bigger waste because I don't have a shop dedicated washer to clean them.

I've been thinking about a parts washer. Would it be a bad idea to clean everything with water, dry it off and toss it back together? What about washing it with chemicals?

My 'fuge is motor driven. I just add a few ounces of rug while the bowl is spinning about 100 rpms. Then I rub my finger up and down the bowl, turn the 'fuge off and let it drain. I don't need no stinkin' rags ;Really