Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now realizing a big mistake that I made. My 2" pump is too large to collect oil from most tanks and any drum without the top removed. Oops...

Do you guys think I could reduce the end of the hose to a 1 1/2" or whatever is needed to fit through a 2" hole, or would it cause problems with the pump? I think I read in the owners manual that you should NOT reduce it any ..

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this time I thought I had a 60ish per gallon/hour 'fuge but after looking at Pabiodiesel's site to confirm, it looks like I have the 108 gph. Did they change up recently and stop carrying a fuge that was between the 55 and 108? Anyway, it's definitely bigger than the 55gph model....

What size is your centrifuge? Mine is only a 55gph , maybe the size makes a difference in whether or not you hear it lift?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now realizing a big mistake that I made. My 2" pump is too large to collect oil from most tanks and any drum without the top removed. Oops...

Do you guys think I could reduce the end of the hose to a 1 1/2" or whatever is needed to fit through a 2" hole, or would it cause problems with the pump? I think I read in the owners manual that you should NOT reduce it any ..

I think you'd be fine by reducing it to 1.5", I can't see how a 4' long 1.5" wand on the end of a 2" hose would break the pump....if anything it seems like it would make it suck harder. That said, aren't most bung holes 2"?

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, 2" pipe thread so a 2" PVC suction stick wouldn't fit. I'm not sure about the fuge sizes, I am pretty sure they offered one slightly larger than mine. I remember thinking I should have spent the extra $10-20 for the larger one.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reduced my 2" pump to 1" hose and it will fit in a 55 gallon drum hole with a 1/2"ish OD depth stick attached. Probably a few thousand gallons on it with no issues.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked my previous order and sure enough, I have a 108 gph 'fuge. For the last few months I've been calculating my cleaning at 65gpm so I've been cleaning at roughly double the passes that I thought! It's nice when you make a mistake in your favor every once in awhile:)

My sucker is 1.5" and has no problems fitting in bung holes or the smaller lids on top of totes....I used it just today as a matter of fact. I don't know that I'd reduce from 2" all the way down to 1", it seems like your speed will suffer quite a bit.

Kalishnikov; Do you see a big speed difference from 2" down to 1"? Does the pump sound like it's having a really hard time or does it chug along as usual?

And thanks for correcting me on the 2", I don't know why I was thinking a 2" pipe would slip into a 2" hole...old age I guess and probably the same brain malfunction that had me thinking my 'fuge was 65gph when it's really 108gph. Duh!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reduced it down to 1 1/2" . It fits now. Hopefully it won't cause any issues but if it does, I have a warranty on the pump :) .

The one thing that I see being annoying is that my suction hose is EXTREMELY stiff. It is very heavy duty which makes it rock hard. Should be fun trying to maneuver it around.

Edit: I only reduced the end of the hose where the PVC is connected. It is still a 2" hose.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya on the stiff hose, mine is moderately stiff partly because of the diameter and weight but it's still a pain trying to position it when I only want to suck from the high corner of a tote. The wand is great though, it makes it so I can store the hoses inside my truck (I have quick connects and just connect the hose ends) so they'll be warm and a little more flexible and leave the wand outside.

The only part I have left to do is put a strainer on my wand so I can protect my pump impeller. Strainers are expensive though so I think I might just use flexible window screen and a band clamp instead.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing for the strainer :D . I have a quick disconnect at the pump but not at the wand. I didn't think ahead and I'm just going to deal with it. I also only have a foot valve at the pump on the suction side. I will add a valve on the wand later.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I capped the end of my wand and I'm going to drill a hole 1-2" up so that I can just toss it in the drum and not worry about sucking the junk on the bottom.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had a foot valve too and never even put it on. After about 20 secs, my pump starts sucking fluid and away she goes. If I think the oil is thick or the weather is cold, I'll put 3 or 4 qts in my suction hose and then it'll start right up. I know a foot valve is only about $7 but with these pumps, you can save that money:)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest foot valve I could fine was $15 , but everything is over priced around here. The hose clamps alone were $2.50 each. I couldn't believe it. I mainly wanted one so that oil wouldn't drain out and make a mess when I took the hose off. We'll see if it actually prevents that :)

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked my previous order and sure enough, I have a 108 gph 'fuge. For the last few months I've been calculating my cleaning at 65gpm so I've been cleaning at roughly double the passes that I thought! It's nice when you make a mistake in your favor every once in awhile:)

My sucker is 1.5" and has no problems fitting in bung holes or the smaller lids on top of totes....I used it just today as a matter of fact. I don't know that I'd reduce from 2" all the way down to 1", it seems like your speed will suffer quite a bit.

Kalishnikov; Do you see a big speed difference from 2" down to 1"? Does the pump sound like it's having a really hard time or does it chug along as usual?

And thanks for correcting me on the 2", I don't know why I was thinking a 2" pipe would slip into a 2" hole...old age I guess and probably the same brain malfunction that had me thinking my 'fuge was 65gph when it's really 108gph. Duh!

I went straight to 1" suction and 3/4" output hose. In the colder temps you can hear the pump load up some with straight WMO but it still flow plenty fast. Thinned out it's a lot less but it alway keeps chugging.

Are these foot valves the same thing as a check valve or anti drain back valve?

What kind of quick disconnects are you using? I'd like to set mine up with some but the ones I was looking at leave the hose open after you disconnect which would be a pain to drain all the oil out everytime.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have a camlock fitting. The foot valve is the same as a check valve. I got in the habit of calling it a foot valve because no one knew what I was asking for until I called it a foot valve haha.