Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have male and female camlocks on my hose and once I'm done pumping, I just join the two ends together and all the oil stays inside. If you have a Tractor supply near you, it's about $16 to get both the male and female. I also have a camlock on my pump and wand so that everything more or less just snaps together.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up the foot valve today. It's not the prettiest thing but as long as it doesn't leak I'll be happy :D

You must be registered for see images attach

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a thicker mix through the fuge now and it stays really stable at 90psi. So it must have been too thin, causing it to bounce, as mentioned earlier. Before I would have to adjust it every 15 minutes or so to bring it back up to 90psi. It would slowly creep down to 80. Now it stays at 90 for as long as I want it to.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many passes do you guys typically do? I've been running this batch for a good 10 hours and it still isn't clean. I've been running it for about 2 hours, cleaning, repeat. It is catching slightly less gunk than the first pass but it's still pretty nasty.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm heading over to the coast in a few hours and would like to try out this wmo blend. How clean do you guys get yours? Should I fuge it until I can run it for an hour and have zero contaminates in it? I've ran it for like fifteen hours and I still get a thin layer of contaminates. I would think it should be ran until a full pass yields a CLEAN fuge but I'm new to this, so ...

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things;
1) Your foot valve isn't needed since it's that close to the pump, if you still have the receipt you can save some $$$ and take it back.

2) How many passes have you put on the oil? I know you mentioned a 55gph centrifuge but how many gallons do you have in the 'fuge tank? Are you routing all the oil through your fuge or are you using an overflow valve to limit the centrifuge PSI?

My gut tells me that you're probably clean enough, aren't you going to run it through another filter before you put it in the truck's tank anyway?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the foot valve ...
Lol.

It's a 55gph fuge and I'm cleaning 30 gallons. I'm using the valve for pressure regulation so it is bypassing some dirty oil. I've ran it for much longer than I thought it should need but I still get a thin layer of fine contaminates.

Eventually I will pump the " clean " oil through a filter prior to filling the tank but I haven't made it that far with my setup and I don't have time to run to town for a setup and install it before leaving. I have to leave in about 2 hours.

I do have a spair fuel filter in the truck though.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran the 30 gallons for over 15 hours. I was just calling each hour one pass even though it's only 30 gallons.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I don't like using the bypass valve, it's hard to know how much oil is bypassing your 'fuge. Anyway, for peace of mind, is it possible for you to direct the centrifuged oil into a bucket or something similar? That way, you can guarantee that all the oil going into your truck has been 'fuged and even if it only has one pass on it, that's better than no passes at all.

As for the filter, clogging up two isn't uncommon so you'll want to get a couple more filters just in case.

To your initial question of the thin layer of contaminates, my fuge will continue to pull stuff out no matter how long I run it. By the nature of the design, there's always going to be some buildup on the walls of the rotors because there'll always be something in the oil (not necesssarily a contaminant) that's heavier than the surrouding oil, make sense?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuge is mounted on the drum lid so I can't really dump the fuged oil into a bucket. It's sucking the oil from 1 1/2" from the bottom of the drum, going through the pump to the fuge and both the bypassed oil and fuged oil drop back into the drum. I will eventually make another setup that is more efficient. My original goal was to have a completely mobile unit that I could Ross in the truck and take on trips. Now I'm seeing the downside of it ..

For some reason I just assumed that it would clean the oil completely and eventually there would be nothing caught in the fuge. I've probably wasted many hours on this batch because of that, lol ..oops.

I guess I'll run it and see what happens. I would have grabbed more filters but the best price I could find was $50 for a wix. I usually spend around $30 for a motorcraft so it was really hard to spend $20 MORE for anything other than motorcraft but it's the best I could find with short notice. Ill grab a few more on my way :( .

Thanks so much! !!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked the viscosity prior to pumping it into the truck. It drained 0.5 seconds slower than diesel, which really amazes me..

I also grabbed some old jeans, cut out a square, and hose clamped it over the output side of my pump. Then I pumped it into the truck. I figured it'd be better than nothing. I checked the jeans afterwards and didn't find any visible gunk.
Thanks again for the quick response! !

Happy Holidays! !!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your viscosity tests, what size hole and how many ounces are you timing? That sounds great on the jeans and flow times.

Happy Holidays to you as well and let us know how she runs on the trip!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got back, it ran great! No issues with the filter clogging, no smoke or horrible smells. It might have been a HAIR down on power but nothing substantial. MPG were the same if not a little better. It also ran quieter.

I drilled a 1/4"( I'll have to double check) hole in an old plastic bottle. I'm not sure how much it holds but I will check tomorrow.
Sorry I don't have more specifics on the viscosity test. I'll post them tomorrow :) .

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, glad that you had an uneventful trip!

The reason I asked about the vis. test is that if you don't use enough liquid or the hole is too big, your times will always be really close to each other. I don't know how many oz's is enough, I settled on 64 oz for my tests.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made an identical viscosity tester to yours , I figured it would reduce confusion for people, although my results might be confusing anyway.

I used a 64oz bottle, cut the bottom out and drilled a 1/4" hole in the lid.

My current wmo blend drained in 57.9 seconds.
Straight diesel drained in 52 seconds.

I see in your viscosity thread your diesel drain time was much longer. The only thing I can think of is maybe the pump that I'm getting my diesel from is pumping me a winter blend that is thinner ...(?) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka

Members online