Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the breakdown of your mix meaning how much motor oil, atf, hydraulic fluid, kerosene, rug, and diesel do you have mixed in?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's roughly 40% atf,30% wmo,20% rug and 10% diesel.

I'm running on pure diesel now though, from the front tank that has never had anything but diesel in it.

I bought a new lift pump today. I live put of town so I have to plan ahead. I'll test my pump when I get home and replace it if need be. It's made by " Precision Pumps" I wanted a Carter but as long as it wasn't an airtex I was happy.

Also, Lowes only had the reducer in PVC and it would have had to be glued. I want threads only.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's roughly 40% atf,30%,20% rug and 10% diesel.

I'm running on pure diesel now though, from the front tank that has never had anything but diesel in it.

I bought a new lift pump today. I live put of town so I have to plan ahead. I'll test my pump when I get home and replace it if need be. It's made by " Precision Pumps" I wanted a Carter but as long as it wasn't an airtex I was happy.

With 20% RUG and 10% diesel you should be good to go, I'm with you on thinking that the lift pump might be going out. I went through a couple when I started running WMO on my IDI, the warranty made it easy to keep swapping them out though.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you? They'll have an adapter in the plumbing section (close to the black pipe) to take it from 2" to 1.5" and it won't cost you an arm and a leg, probably only around $5. As for hose, I use a green hose from Tractor Supply that cost me $29. It's 20 ft long, decently flexible, and will do the trick. I run identical hoses for input/output and don't have any issues using them. The same hose can be found on Amazon, IIRC it was $44 but that was with cam-lock fittings instead of the simple screw-ons. But yeah, your pump will work 10X better than the other pumps you listed and has a smaller footprint than a super sucker (although those are awesome).

**EDIT** I just looked up my hose and it's Tigerflex too...I guess the 1.5" must be a lot easier to handle than the 2". Either that or I'm just awesomely strongLOL

I played around with some spa hose and noticed a big difference between the 1" and 1.5" . Maybe it's the same for 2" and 1.5" tigerflex. Or you're super strong like you said :D. I really like the spa hose. I'll probably buy 20' of it for the suction and 20' for the discharge.

I need to get the pump working asap. I have so much oil to collect.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed a cracked hose on my Parker cart, installed two new filters, removed debris from the bypass buttoned it all up and processed 50 gallons in 45 min today. Cart was pushing 10GPM when I tested it. Poured in 5 gallons in my truck.

Javier

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Javier ; What micron does your cart filter down to? What ratio mix are you running?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 20% RUG and 10% diesel you should be good to go, I'm with you on thinking that the lift pump might be going out. I went through a couple when I started running WMO on my IDI, the warranty made it easy to keep swapping them out though.

What brand pump did you get? Why do you think you went through more than one? Is it common to get bad pumps?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand pump did you get? Why do you think you went through more than one? Is it common to get bad pumps?

I don't know if it's a common issue or just bad luck but I went through 2 pumps in about 4500 miles before finally getting a good one that's still ticking. This was way before I was measuring viscosity and even at a lowly 6.5psi, these pumps seem to be affected by thicker than normal fuel. Once you get a good one it doesn't matter as much but I was 1 for 3 on finding a good one.

I *think* the brand was airtex, it's the cheapest one from Autozone and they warrantied them both witho no questions asked.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a common issue or just bad luck but I went through 2 pumps in about 4500 miles before finally getting a good one that's still ticking. This was way before I was measuring viscosity and even at a lowly 6.5psi, these pumps seem to be affected by thicker than normal fuel. Once you get a good one it doesn't matter as much but I was 1 for 3 on finding a good one.

I *think* the brand was airtex, it's the cheapest one from Autozone and they warrantied them both witho no questions asked.

Did yours come with a gasket or is it to be installed with rtv? There is no gasket with mine. I looked in the tech section but all I could find were 2 articles on changing from mechanical to electric pumps :dunno .

I'm making a batch of the cutting oil today. It will be roughly 5% rug , 15% diesel, and 80% cutting oil. I'm putting less rug in it because it's already pretty thin.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the oil that you ran with possibly emulsified water in it foam pretty bad? I was using my PS pump to pump it into my filtration barrel and it is foaming pretty bad. Is that a sign of water? None of my other wmo foamed.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the oil that you ran with possibly emulsified water in it foam pretty bad? I was using my PS pump to pump it into my filtration barrel and it is foaming pretty bad. Is that a sign of water? None of my other wmo foamed.

My 40/60ish (stale gas)SG/WMO mix foamed a decent amount when pumping. I wouldn't be concerned.

IIRC from what I remeber reading on the forums Airtex pumps are ******.

Just curious, why do you use any diesel when thinning? Might be easier to just use RUG instead of having to add another fuel and more cost to the mix.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This oil was a bit foamy when I ran it but I've also had other mixes foam too. Now that I think about it though, this was probably the "foamiest" but it's relative since it was still just a minor amount of foam. It's been in the 20's here so I'm hopeful that the emulsified water might "freeze" out of suspension. Probably pipe dreams but if heat can do it then maybe cold can too.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about freezing the water out awhile back but o figured it wasn't a common method for some reason. I think I'll toss a sample of the cutting oil in the freezer and see what it does.

I changed my lift pump today so I will be testing the oil soon. :)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added the diesel to this mix just in case the oil was bad. I honestly don't have much faith in this cutting oil.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up using a gasket? I thought I replied but it seems I didn't; mine came with a gasket and I distinctly remember how much of a pain it was to get it on correctly the first couple times I did it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online