Starting to build my wmo collection/filtration setup .

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only bad part of that is that now you won't know if the cutting oil is capable of running on it's own. I hope it works out for you though since it sounds like you can get a bunch of it.

I added the diesel to this mix just in case the oil was bad. I honestly don't have much faith in this cutting oil.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to drive back to town to get the gasket. I ended up changing it in the parking lot because I didn't want to drive home on a bad pump. I used aviation sealant to hold the gasket in place but it was still a bit of a pita.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thought was that if it runs well on this mix I will make another batch with less diesel and test it again, then make another batch with even less or straight oil. That way I'm not left with a tank full of bad fuel.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Javier ; What micron does your cart filter down to? What ratio mix are you running?

Right now I have 2 cartridge 10 micron filters I am using, I will purchase a 5 micron filter next batch I order.
I will also pickup a cartridge 74 micron filter and another 100 micron filter that I will put into the wand for picking up oil so it clogs first instead of making me crack open my cart.

I just collect WMO any hydraulic oil, Gas, mineral spirits, gear oil, diesel oil, any petrolium and run it through an upflow system.
Once it drips through a 30 micron spin on filter I then add 5 gallons of RUG or stale boat gas or bits of USDSL whatever I have laying around. Then I hook up the filter cart to my drum and turn it on for 45 minutes @ 10 GPM after that It is ready to pour in my tank.

Here is a video you may like to see on oil pumps or dirt pumps, wich one do you own?

http://demos.noria.com/Effects_of_Contamination_Slide_167/res/index.html

Javier

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried running my last wmo mix again today. No issues with power loss so the new pump must have solved that. I did have an annoying time though. The truck barely started after shutting it off at a store. I ran over to a parts store and had the batteries tested. One said. 5 cranking amps and the other was 600. They are suppose to be 750. So I drove over to Walmart and pulled them out, brought them in to exchange them under their warranty. They tell me they are reading 840 cranking amps so they won't replace them. So I take them back to the truck, put them back in and the truck starts fine. I start driving away and realize the trans is shifting waaay off (e4od) . So I checked the tps volts, everything as it should be. I had to drive home with OD off. As I'm almost home I switch back to diesel and click OD on to see if it's still acting up, suddenly it's working again. I'm assuming pulling the batteries screwed with the tcm and it took awhile to reset
.. It also ran warmer than usual. I'm getting a temp gauge tomorrow so I can know for sure what the temps are. I'm also going to try the cutting oil tomorrow.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI the thin cardboard boxes food items come in (crackers, cereal, soda can) is good for some gaskets such as the lift pump and timing gear plate.

Walmart kinda sucks for batteries. They gave me a hard time and wouldn't exchange without a receiept even tho the date on the battery was under a year. They also said it was good after they used their tested even tho I was 100% sure it was junk. It had a short right off the bat and wouldn't hold a charge after a few months. Finally I found my receipt literally a year later and exchanged it!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it work long term or is it just to get you by?

I only bought the batteries from Walmart because they were $65 each and I figured I'd just exchange them in a year. They seem to be working fine now. I'm going to have them tested again and if they are on their way out I will drain them in the parking lot and exchange them :)

Takotruckin

Reaction score
I only bought the batteries from Walmart because they were $65 each and I figured I'd just exchange them in a year. They seem to be working fine now. I'm going to have them tested again and if they are on their way out I will drain them in the parking lot and exchange them :)

The machine will know if they are just low on charge and you will have to wait for them to charge them and re-test. Unless you can sweet-talk the cashier...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The machine will know if they are just low on charge and you will have to wait for them to charge them and re-test. Unless you can sweet-talk the cashier...

Darn! Thanks for the heads up! They have been working great anyway. I must have bumped my horrible battery cables loose when I changed the lift pump.

Kalashnikov: That's awesome! I'll have to toss a box of crackers in my tool box for emergency snacks and gaskets! :)

So far the truck is running great on the cutting oil. I'm going to fuge another batch with less diesel in it and test it again. :D

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to pick up 300 gallons today .. This pump SUCKS ( in a bad way) with the 1" suction and 3/4" discharge. It moved maybe 2gpm. I ran out of gas before filling a 55 gallon drum, that's how bad it was. Tue wmo wasn't super thick. Just regular wmo.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does suck... heck my sbc pump and 1/2" 18v cordless drill moves more then 2gpm....

Did you prime the pump?

Is it a trash pump or just a water pump? Harbor freight sells a 1.5" trash pump that suposively works really well and the price is good. I'd thought about it but I dont have a trailer/transport tank... I currently transport with a 55 gal. drum

-Chris

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled the pump with oil, started it and watched as the oil CREEPED up the suction line. It was pathetic.

Its a 2" water pump. It moved oil FAST with the 2" hose. The exhaust was so hot it burned a hole through one of my drums from 6" away.Haha.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled the pump with oil, started it and watched as the oil CREEPED up the suction line. It was pathetic.

Its a 2" water pump. It moved oil FAST with the 2" hose. The exhaust was so hot it burned a hole through one of my drums from 6" away.Haha.

What kind of temps did you have when moving the oil??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726