SRW to Dually

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a friend. . .

I've got a perfect running 96 f250 flatbed that I'd like to throw an F250 dually axle on.

The junkyard just got in a 91 F350 with very low miles that I can get the entire axle springs, wheels, tires and all. And the tires are pretty new, too.

Anybody know if that is an easy swap out?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the '91 f350 is a pickup f350 and not a cab n chassis f350 then your looking at almost a direct bolt in.
the difference will be the '91 will be a short yoke.you can use your current drive shaft,but you'll need a conversion U joint and the u-joint straps of the donor rather than the u-joint u-bolt style your 2nd gen sterling has.
if your f250 is a 4wd,then of course the gears want to match,or you'd need to swap out the front too.
if your looking for help on converting the front,you'd have to post more details about each truck,cus there would be too many "if's" to mess around with lol.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that rather prompt and very helpful reply. You make it sound almost easy.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yes,very easy.with 2 guys,you'll be done before lunch.
grab some new U-bolts and cut out the old ones.they shouldn't be re-used anyway and it saves loads of time of course.
don't forget some fresh gear lube and you'll be drw with a loss of traction,getting stuck on wet grass,have a reduction in fuel economy,have a bit firmer ride,but be able to haul a real jag or tow nice and stable unlike no srw can.:)

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give me some pointers for locating the conversion U joint?

Thanks

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
like you,i also went from a 2nd gen srw sterling (93-97) to a 1st gen drw sterling.
my 1356 t-case has the slip yoke,so the drive shaft could simply be slid back that 1/4" or so.
this is what was required for my drive shaft and 1st gen sterling drw pickup swap.i can't promise you'll need the same;
Carquest Part #2-3050 Rear of Rear Drive Shaft Conversion U-Joint & Moog #331-10 Yoke Strap Kit

also,there's no time like the present to add springs.

Last edited:

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like you,i also went from a 2nd gen srw sterling (93-97) to a 1st gen drw sterling.
my 1356 t-case has the slip yoke,so the drive shaft could simply be slid back that 1/4" or so.
this is what was required for my drive shaft and 1st gen sterling drw pickup swap.i can't promise you'll need the same;
Carquest Part #2-3050 Rear of Rear Drive Shaft Conversion U-Joint & Moog #331-10 Yoke Strap Kit

also,there's no time like the present to add springs.

Thanks, you're the best ;Sweet

We're planning on importing the dually springs. Any problems there?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the leafs on the much wider DRW pickup axle (the only one that will work for your conversion) sports the same 3" wide springs.though perhaps more of them along with the aux setup.
they are a direct swap over too,and the aux perch holes are there in the frame of your F250hd as it's the same frame.you'll just need some grade 8's to bolt them on.;Sweet

remember now,if that '91 f350 donor in the yard isn't a pickup,then it's axle isn't a "DRW" axle.
it's just basically a srw pickup axle bolted under a narrow frame with spring mounts set closer inward is all.so make sure first.
the pickup f350 drw axle that would house the sterling your after, measures over 59" wide between brake backing plates.
if she isn't close to this,then the that '91 donor is a cab n chassis (didn't come from ford with a pickup bed/incomplete vehicle) and will not go under your f250 nor f350 srw to make it a dually.

Attachments

• drw rear.jpg
    drw rear.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but don't forget about your bed being different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online