SRW to DRW

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Concerning DRW fronts, what I have seen and I see a lot, just about all 4x4 DRW front axles use the same axle as SRW but with spacers added; I often see these spacers for sale at swap meets; usually around $75-$100/pair.

With a bit of lathe work, these same spacers can be employed on the rear axle to allow for duals; .

The set i have will just slip over a dana 44 hub. They would need boring to fit over a dana 60 hub, and lose strength. They would need to be bored even larger for a rear hub - either becoming 2 pieces or paper-thin.

Edit: an axle truss wont improve the leverage problem at the hub bearings.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ultimately I've decided if I find a kit, I'm going to go with a truck and bed Rear axle, so that way bearing center is still right where it needs to be, as for the front, I'll either go spacer or hubs, depending on what I find first.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately I've decided if I find a kit, I'm going to go with a truck and bed Rear axle, so that way bearing center is still right where it needs to be, as for the front, I'll either go spacer or hubs, depending on what I find first.
Good call.

If I get a real dually axle before you do I'll send you the spacers off of mine.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well had a buddy over taking a chord of wood out of my back yard, he had a guy helping him who parts out obs and bricknoses all the time.
He said something about how after '92 all OBS trucks that were DRW share the same axle, regardless if it's cab N chassis or cab and bed.
Anyone have any feedback on how accurate that is?

On another note, I found a real mint looking' 89 crew cab diesel with an ats kit, not running for $1500 in southern Oregon. Sadly I have no way to get it to me....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had a buddy over taking a chord of wood out of my back yard, he had a guy helping him who parts out obs and bricknoses all the time.
He said something about how after '92 all OBS trucks that were DRW share the same axle, regardless if it's cab N chassis or cab and bed.

On another note, I found a real mint looking' 89 crew cab diesel with an ats kit, not running for $1500 in southern Oregon. Sadly I have no way to get it to me....
IDK about the axles, but the truck sounds good.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
800 miles round trip, and no title. Kind of a big meeeeeehhhhh I want it but do I want to deal with no title? Not really...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Not accurate. I spent 4 years working at a shop that bought salvage f-series in the 90-97 range and rebuilt them. I know the axles and configurations well.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@u2slow thank you for the clarification. He kept calling them by generation era instead of year/body style, so I was a little skeptical.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for an axle and hubs eventually. I'm fine keeping it srw, but I may have scared my dad and wife last time I was driving with the camper on. Had a wee bit of sway
Dang how big is your camper? The 88 S&S in my avatar is (I think) 9.5ft and around 2,000lbs IIRC. I've never felt like it was crazy sway. You have to know where you're going and drive accordingly...I don't even have an anti-sway bar! :joker: Actually I do, but it's sitting next to the tree by the shed. Pulled it off a truck and I've never installed it. Maybe that's all you need?

BTW I'm drooling so bad over that crew cab you're talking about... but honestly a turbo IDI crew cab 4x4 for $1500 no title sounds like a scam in today's market.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a front and rear sway bar. Those dang Dana 60 sway bars are a bit of a pain to find locally. Even harder than the axle itself.

So for extra drooling, here's the link to the ad

Also, my camper is a lance squire 8000, which is 9'10" to me it drives just fine, it's more so for a peace of mind for the wife so she'll continue to go camping with me.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see...parts truck. Blown trans and won't start. At first it looks ugly but you're right the body is actually in great shape! Would clean up nicely minus the wiring redo from squirrels and mice.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If the miles are real, I highly doubt the trans is blown. But ya never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online