SRW to DRW

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all depends on the weight rating of the truck. I have seen a factory coded f250 with heavier from and rear springs than a same year f350 drw.

I think it is all in the options that we're selected when ordered.

James
Hmmm...

I was thinking about length... instead of strength...

Doesn't Nero have airbags? Then maybe should keep softer springs, so ride can be made smoother when empty, like said.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I do have bags. When unloaded I have about 5-10psi in them. Depending on load I adjust air pressure on the fly, I have in cab air controls.

The springs currently on are from the 1990 f350 centurion package, if I remember right it raised gross load by 200lbs. Sadly I don't have the data tag anymore, as it was on the door, and I swapped doors.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DRW brakes are larger across than the SRW, as I recall.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this morning THREE crew cab DRW truck AND BED all dropped off at the local wrecking yard... Shoot.

So what all is needed in the swap now?
Axle (obviously)
Springs?
Bed sides, if not entire bed

Brakes and driveline should be a direct bolt up, right?

Man, was not expecting to see this happen.

Axle and DRW fenders.

From what I've seen with mine the beds are the same except for the cutouts for the fenders. You can certainly cut up your bed and drill for the fenders, swapping the whole bed is less work in my opinion if there's a clean candidate.

My F250 has the same springs as my DRW F350 with the exception of the helper springs which you don't need anyway since you already have bags.

I will re-iterate make sure the truck you're pulling the axle from has the same width springs and might as well double check perch width. Better safe than sorry! I would make sure it's a real DRW rear too and doesn't just have spacers bolted on for a conversion!

You shouldn't have any issues with brake hoses and you'll probably want to replace wear parts anyway....

Driveline should be fine if it's a diesel, I think the gas trucks may have used a smaller u-joint but don't quote me on that. Easy to measure.

Something I'm curious about, drw doesn't really increase payload capacity, it just helps stabilize larger loads, right? Should I even bother doing this swap? Looking for opinions.

My F350 is way more stable with a load than my F250, but it also has helper springs so I'm not sure how much difference that makes. You have twice the sidewall resisting sway on a dually.....

My F350 is rated for 10k GVWR. Not sure what the SRW trucks were rated for as the only one I have is a 250.

The only downside to the dually swap is paying for more tires and if you ever have to replace the fenders they can be hard to find or expensive.

Make sure the "landing gear" for your camper can clear the wider hips. May need to build some brackets to space them out.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My lance squire has hinges for the forward Jack's to allow for duallys, but whats interesting is the lance legend I just got does not, as in it was always on a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup without duals ever.

I was doing a lot of Google fu last night, I may be able to get away with heavier capacity tires. Right now my primewells are load rating E and rated 3064 lbs per tire. But I also see that is on the lower end of range E.
Data tag on the camper says 3100lbs loaded.

I guess what I need to do is scale my truck with and without the camper on. While I have no problem doing the swap, it's more of will the wife let me take on yet another project, because if I swap I also will be re-gearing the axle, and thats when cost starts to go up.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Another trick you can do is run the wider dually axle with some heavy singles. 3400-4000# tires are plentiful when you go to 33's.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You know, that's not a bad idea, plus I could switch to duals after if I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online