SRW to DRW

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I ran a couple online decoders and the theme is 'incomplete vehicle', thus a c&c.

The major point of the front dually hubs is to use the same wheel all around. The tire runs very close to the same position srw or drw.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow they did in fact have the Vin listed, that's assuming they typed it up correctly.
2FDJF37G2PCA19865

I was also under the impression that changing the front hubs to match the duals spacing was also for better tracking? If it's not necessary , I'm already used to driving a truck that has a turn radius of an average football field.
Yea the newer f450s I’m looking at the primary difference is the tracking between the f350 for example. Same axle different tracking length. They said it saves 7.5ft of turning radius.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for an axle and hubs eventually. I'm fine keeping it srw, but I may have scared my dad and wife last time I was driving with the camper on. Had a wee bit of sway

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a couple online decoders and the theme is 'incomplete vehicle', thus a c&c.

The major point of the front dually hubs is to use the same wheel all around. The tire runs very close to the same position srw or drw.
It would be the same on the front and inner rear then I’m thinking? I guess that’s a benefit? Personally I’d just leave the front axle and run SRW wheels.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for an axle and hubs eventually. I'm fine keeping it srw, but I may have scared my dad and wife last time I was driving with the camper on. Had a wee bit of sway
Unpopular opinion probably, but I need to start towing for distance and often and this is why I’m selling my truck. Will still do IDI for fun stuff. Turbo IDI can pull anything but stopping and handling have undeniably improved over the last 30 years.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@hacked89 youre absolutely not wrong, but I drive my truck so seldomly that it makes no sense for me to get something newer. Idi can withstand sitting for months with a no start.
Buddy of mine tried that with his 6.0, and the injectors got sticky and rattled like crazy til they cleared up.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 youre absolutely not wrong, but I drive my truck so seldomly that it makes no sense for me to get something newer. Idi can withstand sitting for months with a no start.
Buddy of mine tried that with his 6.0, and the injectors got sticky and rattled like crazy til they cleared up.
No doubt

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yea the newer f450s I’m looking at the primary difference is the tracking between the f350 for example. Same axle different tracking length. They said it saves 7.5ft of turning radius.

Yes, the f450 front track width increased for 99+. The magic is not longer hubs, the axle beam/housing is wider from ballljoint to balljoint. With the tire being further away from the suspension, it can be steered to a sharper angle.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, here's my .02¢, my "dually" started life as a SRW and my guess is it was converted to a DRW by centurion/Lehman. It has these annoying extension things that are a pain in the butt to get off so you can work on your brakes and very possibly are the reason that the inner wheel bearings were screwed when I got it, but that's another story. I'd get a real dual wheel axle and front hubs.

I know where a dually 3:55 is, but I want a 4wd transmission and transfer case before I go that route so I can put it in low for reverse.

And now the hyjack: the fenders for dual wheels are referred to as "the butt" of the truck at my house, so when I park in a parking spot that my truck doesn't pull all the way into we say "your butt's hanging out of the parking spot". Thus when I figured out that my truck had been modified, my wife began to refer to it as my trucks "augmented butt", so you'll have to live with that tag like I do.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Appreciate the input, I was leaning a bit towards going with a factory style setup instead of a spacer kit, I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
Another truck got dropped at the wrecker today. 460 big block, however to move it they bolted dually rims to it, rears are on backwards so they clear the springs haha

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Stumbled on an example of what would be involved to put a C&C axle in a pickup...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922-093130-376-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230922-093130-376-01.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 15

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh dang that frame really is pinched together there in the middle... Thanks for the photo

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I dont think the frame itself is modified. Its the flat plate hangers... to get the spring spacing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concerning DRW fronts, what I have seen and I see a lot, just about all 4x4 DRW front axles use the same axle as SRW but with spacers added; I often see these spacers for sale at swap meets; usually around $75-$100/pair.

With a bit of lathe work, these same spacers can be employed on the rear axle to allow for duals; HOWEVER, although you are increasing load carrying ability of four tires versus two, you are moving the wheel centers outward from the bearing centers and could put more stress on the bearings; I would recommend a good STOUT axle truss, preferable home-built for strength instead of one of the aftermarket ones that are more for looks than real support; I am meaning a welded-to-the-axle truss.

This is the same reason I don't like a "dually" as compared to a chassis-cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726