Spring shackle bolt

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I need to remove so that I can replace the bushing in it and all the other bushing for the leaf spring but the ine on the rear (rear of the leaf spring, I have a 4x2) doesn't want to come out. I removed the nut but the bolt wont even move, I turned it a bit with the ball joint removal tool but it need to come off some more I can't even imagine what it is to put it back.

Am I doing something wrong? What tool do I need for this?

Thank You.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
your just talking the bolt correct? Just make sure that you are supporting the weight but not too much and whack the ever loving snot out of it with a hammer (I prefer brass for this application as to not mushroom the end of the bolt) - try spraying it down with some kroil or PB Blaster before hand.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Travis that is what I was hoping. You know what I do for a living and I just happen to have all the tools to literally knock the living $hit out of that MF. Ok, that just give me the strength I needed I'm going for it :backoff :shoot:

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
EZ,
It's possible the bolt is frozen in the bushing. Worst case is cutting the bolt off at both ends. Usually this damages the spring shackle and/or brackets. Then you need to cut off the rivets on the frame and bolt in new spring brackets.
Good luck.
John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I got it out about 1 1/2 inch but now is the hard part if I can't get it to move any more then I provably cut what is on the way but I hope I don't need to. It there any tool to retrieve bolts? Anyone here invented one? maybe something like the one used to pull steering wheels?

Thank You.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made up a drift to fit into the bushing and drive out the bolt from the end. I used lots of WD40(or pb blaster) on the thing, and then an air gun on the bolt and turn and beat on it all at the same time. It'll eventually let go, but of course the rubber bushing moves every time you hit it. Just keep at it, and if that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer and get 'r done!!!

Zigg :)

IDIeselman

Reaction score
EZ, If you have access to a torch heat the bolt red hot on both sides and then pour cold water on it and start pounding, This will expand both the bolt and bushing but the bolt will cool faster and break the rust bond between the two.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuck Bolt

If the bolt is already damaged, Try a Air Chisel with a punch bit.
Sometime that is enough to jar it loose.;Sweet
Like it was already said make sure you support the truck.:D
Good luck
John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have the truck sitting on a jack stand at the exact hight where the wheels touch the ground. The bolt is not coming off very easy I need to push it some more but a chisel is not going to move it, believe Me I have a good punch with the two pound hammer and this bolts is not cooperating. I sprayed lots of pb blaster on it but the thing will not move if I want to keep it in one piece. I was hoping there is some tool to pull frozen bolts.

Thank You.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sawzall

Another trick That I think John had mentioned, Is cut the bolt on both sides between the hanger and the spring.
Once out then you have to deal with getting the bushing out.
For that if you have a torch you could catch the rubber on fire and let it burn it self out. then clean out the steel coller.
Good luck
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Trosen did an excellent tech article on bushing removal which is supposed to get posted to our tech articles section, but for whatever reason I'm having trouble getting the management to move on that. I'll email it to you EZ. - Mel

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Mel I'll appreciate it, I don't want to hit it so much I brake something besides the bolt.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Heat, as was mentioned. Will probably smoke like heck, as the bushing will get some of the heat, but it will break it loose.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok it is off now I have another problem, I ordered the bushings months ago with the intention to replace them some day now I come to look at the bushing and it does not look like it belongs there. The ones for the top and front of the leaf spring are ok but the one for the bottom rear looks different. The part # is SB344 is a Moog part from Rock auto, now when I Ordered the parts they don't have the dually option on the list so I just ordered the ones for the f350 crew cab.

Is there another part or I just don't find My way around this?

Thank You.