Someone go get it!!!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got that right. I wouldn`t trade my 86 IDI for anything new on any lot, anywhere. Interesting you mentioned it.

We lived in Santa Cruz for 40 years before moving here to NV. Our Dentist was in a complex behind Dominican Hospital. I use to see this Mercedes 240D in the lot. Stopped by and checked it out every once in a while and wondered who owned it. Our DD was a 85 300D Turbo Diesel, and I drove my Datsun 720 Diesel I drove for over 30 years.

I came home one afternoon from PNP with the bed filled with my Mercedes treasures from PNP. Was filling the tank at the station, and I hear this klakity klak of a Mercedes behind me.
This lady gets out.."Hey nice car". We have several of them and worship the ground they sit on etc... and show her my treasures.

She had owned the car for 30 years, raised her family and the kids learned to drive it etc... she was head of the pathology dept, and her husband was head pharmacist at Dominican.
This was the car I had drooled over.

She said she was thinking of trading it for a new car. Told her if she traded it or donated it, it would get wholesaled off and probably PNP would end up with it, and described what then happens to them.

"Well maybe I will donate it to you".... yeah right...
She was missing her right front Hub Cap, and said I had a couple that color. Exchanged info etc...

Cleaned up the best HB and put it on her car in the parking lot. Left a MSG, "check your right front wheel".
Calls me up that evening and thanked me for it.

A week later she calls and asks me if Iam still interested in her car? "We decided to give it to you".
2 weeks later meet her husband in the parking lot behind Dominican, he has the DMV paper work, paper signed over to us. Where it said price paid, wrote in "Gift".

We were more excited to get that old car, than anything new, and it was just about to roll over 306K miles. Now 380 something K miles.
I have it out in the shop with the front end out of it, and all new German Lemforder part`s to put back in, including new Springs. She is our baby. Simple basic car, can get 33 MPG on the Hwy.
Like the simplicity our IDI`s have.

Goat
I have always wanted one of those cars… they are so cool

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
ITS SOLD!!!! Ok spill the beans, who bought it....!!!
It was me, but all I could was afford was the front bumper. LOL LOL

No, actually I was dreaming & wishing.
Everything has gotton so hi way things going in bout 1-2 yrs I probably get bout $75,000 for Bessie, my '90 CCLB Dually with '94 factory IDIT. However I probably have to fix/replace those busted fiberglass dually fenders & do that paint job I'm gonn'a do when I get my shop built & finished....... & wipe & clean up bout 10 gal dirt from inside. And about 6 mo other work on her..... LOL

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried driving a car to save on fuel costs, I just can't handle looking up at everything on the road.

I have always wanted some kind of a midsized diesel 4x4 5spd pickup. Will probably never find one, or if I do wouldn't be able to afford it.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have always wanted some kind of a midsized diesel 4x4 5spd pickup. Will probably never find one, or if I do wouldn't be able to afford it.
The ones that do come out don't seem to be in production for very long. It seems like maybe 2-3 years and they aren't being made. The Diesel F150 was already out of production before I heard about it. My dream mid size truck with a diesel is right here in town. It's a Nissan Titan with a V8 Cummins, which is cool but not quite enough to make me want one. What makes this one special is that it's called a Midnight Edition. It's all black except for the lights, the Nissan emblems in the centers of the wheels and something else small that I forget what it is right now.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that most people were pretty disappointed with that V8 Cummins. guess it wasn't quite the motor that Cummins made for Dodge. :dunno

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't want anything that new. There was a guy here that had a little Isuzu regular cab long bed diesel 5spd, said it got around 40mpg.

I don't know if they made them in 4x4 but I think that would make the perfect daily driver.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that most people were pretty disappointed with that V8 Cummins. guess it wasn't quite the motor that Cummins made for Dodge. :dunno
Being a v8 it probably didn't have the low end torque everyone is used to from a Cummins.

James

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Being a v8 it probably didn't have the low end torque everyone is used to from a Cummins.

James
Yrs ago back in the early '70s I was truck driving for a Co there in E Tx, They were leasing trucks from another Co out of Dallas, Tx.

We had trucks with Detroit engines, Cat, different sized Cummins engines, etc etc. The in-line Cummins 220's, 250, 290, 335's were driven (back then) RPM range of about 1800-22 or 2300, sometimes 1700-2300. That's what I was used to. Detroits, well you slam hand in door & get really mad to drive a Detroit.

Well they leased a truck that had a V8 903 Cummins that they put me on. Told me to "keep her wound up, she runs lot higher RPMs than those others."

Well I started driving range about between 23-24 up to 27-2800 RPM. She lugged along & kinda got me there & back, but I wasn't happy!

After about 4-5 mo on her all over US she started making some noise & not running very well. Put it in shop there in Dallas.

Went to pick it up after they overhauled the engine & mechanics asked me "what RPM range you been driving this truck?" I thought I was in trouble so I quietly said "about 22-2600 or so." They all went to laughing, told me that I had been lugging it BIG TIME!!! That this engine working range is best 29-3000 thru 3400+ RPM!! Took me a trip to re-do getting used to her. I couldn't imagine RPMs that hi.

When I bought Bessie, my '90 Dually CCLB NA that I had an 088 turbo put on I still tended to keep RPM too low while working her.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There was a guy here that had a little Isuzu regular cab long bed diesel 5spd, said it got around 40mpg.
I thought you were talking about mid sized trucks? One of those would be a great driver.
Detroits, well you slam hand in door & get really mad to drive a Detroit.
I'm no truck driver and I'll never claim to be. I can also say that I have moved some semi trucks around, maybe even illegally on the streets, but probably not since I don't have a CDL and that would have been illegal. I sure can't argue with this one. They dropped RPM so quickly that I never could get used to moving one of those around. I'd always miss shifts that were easy to make with other engines.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
I don't have a CDL and that would have been illegal. I sure can't argue with this one. They dropped RPM so quickly that I never could get used to moving one of those around. I'd always miss shifts that were easy to make with other engines.
LOL Well I'm 33 yr old....... wait a minute, I tried to say seventy three but Siri threw another fit.... she don't want me to be seventy three!
Anyway, believe it or not I still got my CDL, & it's still good till Oct 2030! And will be out here in Oregon, as long as I slip round ever 2 yrs & find a Dr that will pass me on my CDL physical & won't say I need glasses or my BP a little high or all those other bad things wrong LOL LOL

I definitely don't want anything that new. There was a guy here that had a little Isuzu regular cab long bed diesel 5spd, said it got around 40mpg.

James
And speaking of Hi good mileage, thru the yrs I've heard of mechanics that played with & tuned & played some more with engines/vehicles/gearing till they got 40-50-60 MPG, gas & diesel!!!~
Detroits..........the legal name for them back in the day was SCREAMIN DEAMON.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
We have a Cummins Titan at work, it really is a huge letdown. Transmission shifts hard, low end torque isn't that impressive. The 6.7 service trucks are far better.
Talking with an engineer, what I gather is the 5.0 v8 Cummins was originally an inboard Boat engine slightly redesigned for automotive application, so it's got history and it's pretty reliable, but in my opinion for the displacement, the power is subpar.
I've seen YouTube videos of guys who have tuned them to make them compete with the 6.7, however the earlier engines had issues with the crank splitting in two.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yrs ago back in the early '70s I was truck driving for a Co there in E Tx, They were leasing trucks from another Co out of Dallas, Tx.

We had trucks with Detroit engines, Cat, different sized Cummins engines, etc etc. The in-line Cummins 220's, 250, 290, 335's were driven (back then) RPM range of about 1800-22 or 2300, sometimes 1700-2300. That's what I was used to. Detroits, well you slam hand in door & get really mad to drive a Detroit.

Well they leased a truck that had a V8 903 Cummins that they put me on. Told me to "keep her wound up, she runs lot higher RPMs than those others."

Well I started driving range about between 23-24 up to 27-2800 RPM. She lugged along & kinda got me there & back, but I wasn't happy!

After about 4-5 mo on her all over US she started making some noise & not running very well. Put it in shop there in Dallas.

Went to pick it up after they overhauled the engine & mechanics asked me "what RPM range you been driving this truck?" I thought I was in trouble so I quietly said "about 22-2600 or so." They all went to laughing, told me that I had been lugging it BIG TIME!!! That this engine working range is best 29-3000 thru 3400+ RPM!! Took me a trip to re-do getting used to her. I couldn't imagine RPMs that hi.

When I bought Bessie, my '90 Dually CCLB NA that I had an 088 turbo put on I still tended to keep RPM too low while working her.
I kinda drive my truck like a Detroit… but, with a non gated turbo, lower compression, valve springs, etc, it seems to run better 2600+

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Well I'm 33 yr old....... wait a minute, I tried to say seventy three but Siri threw another fit.... she don't want me to be seventy three!
Anyway, believe it or not I still got my CDL, & it's still good till Oct 2030! And will be out here in Oregon, as long as I slip round ever 2 yrs & find a Dr that will pass me on my CDL physical & won't say I need glasses or my BP a little high or all those other bad things wrong LOL LOL

And speaking of Hi good mileage, thru the yrs I've heard of mechanics that played with & tuned & played some more with engines/vehicles/gearing till they got 40-50-60 MPG, gas & diesel!!!~
Detroits..........the legal name for them back in the day was SCREAMIN DEAMON.
Yeah I still have my CDL, retired in 06, and decided to keep it, never know when I want to grind some gears.
My employer always paid for the medical every 2 years. A year after retirement, it came up and paid it. 2 years later I didn`t get it, and understood or thought i read, w/o the medical it reverted back to a class 3 or what ever a car Lic. is. If I wanted to drive, something big, just get the medical and move on.

2 years later my renewal for the license came up. Went in to the DMV, and they said I needed to take the class 1, 2, 3, CDL, etc test again....??? WT F. what a bunch of B S.
They gave me a temporary for a year or what ever.
I got my Commercial back in 71, the way it is today, probably couldn`t pass the test with all the k rap on it today.

10 months later moved to Nevada. Go the the DMV to get my Nv. Lic., explain to the lady, and she said "this in Nevada, don`t worry about it". Paid what ever it is, got my CDL.
I was blown away how nice they were here.

Now the way I under stand it here, I can drive w/o a med. if it isn`t something for hire. Start hauling stuff for hire then need a medical.

Turn 80 in Jan., I have no medical issues, no drugs, colestral, high BP, don`t smoke etc... what`s wrong with me?
Iam still running around like Iam 23, keepin on till I can`t keep on. Sit around, and you are done for.....make it happin.

I see people way younger than I am, and talk about how old they are. Old between the ears.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried driving a car to save on fuel costs, I just can't handle looking up at everything on the road.

James
TDI swap a Ford Ranger!!! They are reporting mid 30’s to low 40’s

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way about driving my car; can't see over everyone. Drive the car and it will go away soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online