Somebody shoot me!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
few things: studs will still stretch. a bolt/stud HAS to stretch to maintain clamp load, that is the nature of fasteners. however studs are superior as you are relying only on the top threads to stretch and are not fighting the friction of the block tap like a BOLT does, stretching and twisting the bolt along its entire length.
I too prefer to let the engine heat cycle at least once then retoque the studs or bolts whatever it may be. Or let it settle for a few days like someone mentioned.

alos as previously mentioned, get your arp lube on there, and i like to put a breaker bar on the nut, tighten till its snug, back off, tighten till snug, back off, tighten till snug, back off. each time you retighten you will notice the bar goes further. this will give you a true torque reading when you go to torque the nut on your 4th and final pull. THis applies to rocker studs, main studs, rod studs, head studs, bolts etc. I did my studs one by one, (old bolt out, stud in). I also went to 137 ftlbs, but these are 0.5" 7.3 studs. Them heads aint coming off!!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, 37 vehicles in 40 years of marriage, some of them seriously memorable. :eek: Marty has been VERY patient. And understanding. On our wedding night, she looked lovingly into my eyes and said, "Sweetheart, daddy taught us girls to do two things really well. Shoot pool and shoot pistols. You won't survive a divorce. Come on to bed." Yup, 40 years and HAPPILY married!! :D

Right on! I've always admired woman with spunk. My wife doesnt take crap from anyone, if its anything I cant stand, its a whimpy woman.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know why I'm letting this eat at me so bad but I'm really nervous about putting these heads back on, even with the cherry picker. I took the head that was leaking to the machine shop yesterday for a pressure text and magnaflux, just to be on the safe side.
Once I get these heads safley set back in, I'll feel a whole lot better.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
engines are nothing but a machine! man built the machine, any man can fix them....

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to make this even more interesting, as soon as I get this thing running, I have to put a trailer behind it and haul the old 86 up to Utah to store it at my Brother in laws.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a place not too far from us that has the ARP assembly lube. The machine shop forgot to check my head today, so I wont be able to get that till tomorrow.
Supposed to rain here again Friday, so hoping to get everythibg done in the next couple days.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The machine shop forgot to check my head today,

so many times ive busted my local shop with this quote.
Luckily i know him on a personal basis.

"MIKE, DO NOT **** ON ME AND TELL ME ITS RAINING"
"ok ok Brian, i didnt get to them today"

lol. i do fab and electrical work for him, so all my machining is pretty much on the barter system.
its nice when he shows up out of the blue with my parts that i wasnt expecting for a couple of weeks..

hopefully i will own the shop in the next 5 tears. he wants to retire.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so many times ive busted my local shop with this quote.
Luckily i know him on a personal basis.

"MIKE, DO NOT **** ON ME AND TELL ME ITS RAINING"
"ok ok Brian, i didnt get to them today"

lol. i do fab and electrical work for him, so all my machining is pretty much on the barter system.
its nice when he shows up out of the blue with my parts that i wasnt expecting for a couple of weeks..

hopefully i will own the shop in the next 5 tears. he wants to retire.

Yeah, I was kinda irritated with them. If I'm paying like everyone else, I don't expect back burner treatment but that's what happened. They were busy doing work for their regular shop customers and forgot about me.
I'll go pick it up in the morning.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a valley pan tonight and noticed that the rubber groment is larger than the oil drain line from the turbo, my old one was sized properly but was ruined and had to toss it out.
I was thinking maybe slipping the turbo drain line into a rubber hose that would fit tighter into the groment. Is that how others have done it? Anyone have a better idea?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a banks kit? They had the new grommet in stock and shipped it to me. Didn't cost much; guy cut me a break on their standard shipping cause it was such a small part (which they should do anyway). My old valley pan had some kind of rubber 'adapter' that slipped onto the turbo drain then into the valley pan grommet. I'd offer to ship it but it's kinda brittle hence why I replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a banks kit? They had the new grommet in stock and shipped it to me. Didn't cost much; guy cut me a break on their standard shipping cause it was such a small part (which they should do anyway). My old valley pan had some kind of rubber 'adapter' that slipped onto the turbo drain then into the valley pan grommet. I'd offer to ship it but it's kinda brittle hence why I replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a Hypermax turbo. I've read a few ideas from gladhand seals to pcv valve seals that GM and Chrysler use.
I'm out of time and cant wait for Hypermax to send one, so I'll have to be creative. I know there are a few really creative guys on this site that will have an idea of something locally that I could buy to use for it.

Thank you for the offer.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Dorman #42344 Chrysler pvc grommet works for ats turbo drains. I don't know if yours is the same. They are like $4 bucks at auto store.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman #42344 Chrysler pvc grommet works for ats turbo drains. I don't know if yours is the same. They are like $4 bucks at auto store.

That's the one I used for my 1st Gen Banks, too. You're in a hurry but don't corncob it! It will be a bear to redo later and it will be a source for water, dirt and generic grunge to get into your engine!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one I used for my 1st Gen Banks, too. You're in a hurry but don't corncob it! It will be a bear to redo later and it will be a source for water, dirt and generic grunge to get into your engine!

I got lucky. I had to go to a speed shop to get ARP lube and they had a pcv grommet there that popped perfectly into the one that came with my vally pan, actually looks and fits like it was meant to be.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kenny. Take the new grommet out and fill the slot with a good quality RTV. Then install it in the valley pan. Smear some rtv around the outside of the grommet too. Now your guaranteed you will not have a leak into the engine thru the valley pan grommet.
When I install my Banks oil drain back tube I use plenty of rtv around it. As its pressed into the pan grommet the rtv creates a great seal and its much better than the rubber to stainless steel tube fit. Good luck and go slow. Might ask for help lowering the heads to the block. Going slow here will insure no gasket issues will happen. Let the person operating the jack practice a few times. Get the feel of the lever to release the pressure.