So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun deal down this way, pouring feed bunks for the guy who builds Scamazon Fulfillment Centers. He has a farming habit…

I think my F250 is gelled up at home…

F-Superduty was not gelled up, I drove it, for multiple reasons…

Dodge has a noisy throwout bearing… not driving it much anymore these days…

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After sitting at 3F for the past 24 hrs or more, it has warmed up to a balmy 10 degrees :rolleyes:

Only an inch and a half of powder, no ice I can see on our dirt roads at least... So I ventured outside for the first time in 2 days to get the long extension cord and plug in the block heater.But the doorknob lock on the shop door was frozen. Had to use a lighter on the key to thaw it. Ran the cord and it's been heating for an hour and a half... will try in a little while. (I did put additive in before the bottom fell out of the thermometer, and have two decent Group 31 batteries, so we'll see.)

Meanwhile I thought the group would get a chuckle out of this pic I found...:sly
You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI fired right up... missed a couple of cylinders for the first revolution or two, then ran just like always ;Sweet

The 2.5 miles of dirt roads aren't cleared so I locked the front hubs, selected 4H and didn't miss a beat driving out to the paved two-lane. Got out, unlocked, case back in 2H and motored to town at normal 55 mph (pavement was all clear). On the trip home I left it in 2WD and had no trouble, just a few inches of sideslip (once).

Going down to 2 degrees again tonight... I kept the extension cord unreeled, just in case the trash truck will be running tomorrow (they stop at my ex's 1/4 mile down the road).

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that's WAY too close for comfort!
no big deal. We split 15 years ago and don't shoot at each other. :sly She got the small house in the middle of 120 acres of woods, and I have the big one with shop on 56 acres of woods. Houses are close to half a mile apart through the trees and we rarely contact each other.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After sitting at 3F for the past 24 hrs or more, it has warmed up to a balmy 10 degrees :rolleyes:

Only an inch and a half of powder, no ice I can see on our dirt roads at least... So I ventured outside for the first time in 2 days to get the long extension cord and plug in the block heater.But the doorknob lock on the shop door was frozen. Had to use a lighter on the key to thaw it. Ran the cord and it's been heating for an hour and a half... will try in a little while. (I did put additive in before the bottom fell out of the thermometer, and have two decent Group 31 batteries, so we'll see.)

Meanwhile I thought the group would get a chuckle out of this pic I found...:sly
Someone's a '79 nut!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
no big deal. We split 15 years ago and don't shoot at each other. :sly She got the small house in the middle of 120 acres of woods, and I have the big one with shop on 56 acres of woods. Houses are close to half a mile apart through the trees and we rarely contact each other.
It sounds like you got the better end of the bargin to me.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe... although the alternative was to enforce the prenup that would have cost a lot more for lawyers AND had me paying alimony indefinitely. Both houses were paid off, so although the expense was front-loaded, I was immediately free and for good ;) I'd have rather had the bigger acreage with more privacy, but I really did need the big house and shop for all my "stuff"!

So anyway, what did YOU do with your truck today... this is a thread about our trucks :sly

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thursday I was plowing 6" of snow around here with the tractor to get everything opened up.
Today the snow is gone, blue sky and warm.
Had all the windows open to air the house out, and the breeze blowing through the house was 68Deg.
Gardnerville, Nv.
Tonight 21 and tomorrow 51. Looking up towards Tahoe, the mountains are all white,
Iam happy for them that they have it.

I opened the Hood and stared at the Engine for a while.
Then decided to un hook the Vacuum line from the pump to the plastic manifold thingy.
Didn`t like the way I ran it several years ago, and wanted to neaten ( that a word ?) it up.
Ran it under the AC Electrical gizmo and followed the AC pipe and Hose over the the manifold. Used one Zip Tie to hold it secure.

There, that should make it run better.

Goat

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure wish I could find a Spicer 5831 auxiliary transmission… I think that’d make my service truck much more pleasant to drive… underdrive similar to low side in a transfer case, direct for slower speed highways, and overdrive for high speed. I am beginning to rethink my truck situation, might make my service truck the primary rig…

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yestiddy I drove The 'Ol One-Ton for the first time in months...felt great...I had been running it stationary every coupl'a days just to keep the batteries charged and the fuel system reasonably working...

Planning on installing an IP, return hoses and injectors when it warms up in a couple of months...

Right now it is just a stationary outdoor toolbox and work center for the house project...I worked up a metal welding bench and other flat platforms to do various metal and wood work to assist the project along with the work crew...and the skid steer got a surprising amount of use up to now...

Other than the frequent rain and resultant mud...working outside has been a blessing with sunshine and fresh air...as opposed to working in an enclosed shop with other folks that insist on running engines indoors with the doors closed...my lungs are clearing out and I feel a lot better...

I'm the kinda guy that will layer up for the weather and tough it out...as opposed to others that will wear only a winter coat and would rather breathe exhaust than open the doors and air it out...

It used to annoy me to hear others whine about being cold...
Dress For The Weather...for cryin' out loud...and move around more...

Staying warm is a strategy...it starts with a good diet...lots of water and hot coffee...wearing layers...and continually moving...good gloves helps, too...

Looks like we got about 4-to-6 inches of snow about now...

Should prove to be interesting...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yesterday I stayed in the house, looked out the window at my truck under 16" of snow, looked at thermometer hi of 5*, watched Gunsmoke, & dreamed bout all the stuff I need to be doing!!!!

Today is going to be identical!!!

& I'm not a happy cat!!!!

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was actually last week, but drove it to work as I do everyday. Rolled 260,000 miles on my way to the job and on my way home it thanked me by the dash lights going out. two days later learned my tail lights were out by getting pulled over. He was nice and just gave me a warning. So this past weekend the truck got a new headlight switch and everything is working great agian. I really need to do the headlight relay mod.

Don't have any pictures of it back together since I was rushing to get done and over to my nieces 2nd birthday party. Kinda of a pain soldering all the connections in the dash but it worked out just fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was going to dump my ashes from my wood burning stove at the city dump. I got the truck started and went inside to cleanout the stove. The truck was running for at least 5 minutes, maybe closer to 10 and I heard it miss. I started to get up and go back outside when it cleared up. I kept cleaning out the stove and it started missing again. I was done with the stove so I went outside just in time for it to quit running as I stepped out the door. I tried the starter. Nothing. No fuel at the filter schrader valve. By this time, I'm really scratching my head because I dumped PLENTY of Howe's in both tanks before it got cold like this. I pulled the filter off and it was full. My e pump didn't build any pressure so I have to conclude that it's gelled. I tried the transfer pump from the rear tank into the front one and all I got from it was a stream that lasted for a few seconds. That should have been fine since I poured around 32 oz. in it and I had trouble at the pump at the station so I didn't get any fresh fuel into it. There's probably around 20 or so gallons in it. I called a guy from work who was out of town and asked him to get me a bottle of Diesel 911 to bring to work with him tomorrow. All I know is that I wasn't impressed with Howe's before and I'm DONE with Howe's now! It's supposed to be 29 tomorrow and if I can't get the truck running again, I may be stuck at home until it gets well above freezing next week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7