So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I went and loaded up an old table set that was in my shed and delivered it to a friend of mine who wanted it. About 20 miles one way, most freeway. Found out my truck can do 85mph... At 3k rpms. Definitely don't like that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a fine looking feline. I can always mail you more if you need some. Sorry that you lost your "money cat" as I call them.
She's not gone yet. Right now, she seems fine again. I don't want three cats, but (hopefully) I'll be stuck with three for quite a while longer. Right now, I finally got him calm enough that he's playing with a cat toy and ignoring the growling cat who's not talking very nicely to him.
If I ever put my Superduty on the road, I'll want an overdrive. I do have an old brownie I could stick under there.
With the driveline brake that they have, you may have to do some serious fab work in order to get the Brownie stick under there.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go that route, the plan would be to replace the pillow block in the middle of the two part drive shaft with the brownie, one shaft running transmission to brownie, the other running brownie to differential. I'd just need to build a cross member to hold it, then have Young's Gear build me two drive shafts.

If I just used it as a high-low range, I wouldn't even need to shift it much: I could just drive empty to Fairbanks in double overdrive, load up, crawl underneath to shift into straight through, then drive home at 45mph in fourth gear.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I go that route, the plan would be to replace the pillow block in the middle of the two part drive shaft with the brownie, one shaft running transmission to brownie, the other running brownie to differential. I'd just need to build a cross member to hold it, then have Young's Gear build me two drive shafts.

If I just used it as a high-low range, I wouldn't even need to shift it much: I could just drive empty to Fairbanks in double overdrive, load up, crawl underneath to shift into straight through, then drive home at 45mph in fourth gear.
A brownie with an overdrive might make just about any F-Superduty decent for highway use… might have to give that some thought… I want to do a 4WD conversion, but it has a limited slip rear diff installed by the previous owner… and he told me that 3.54 and 3.73 have one type carrier, and 4.10, 4.63 and 5.13 have another kind for the Dana 80. FWIW.

He left the 5.13s in cause he only drove it around his farm. I actually knew the guy selling it, but didn’t realize it until I saw him when I bought the truck. His younger siblings were in homeschool co-op with me, growing up… and I had met him before…

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good ol' boy who gave me the brownie had it in his hippy bread truck for years. It's an underdrive, and he'd mounted it backwards for OD. He used it to split shifts apparently. The hippy bread truck was an old diesel step van that had delivered Wonderbread for years before he got it and turned it into a motor home.

The expensive but easier plan would be to put in a Gear Vendors OD. They claim their box can handle up to 1,200hp and 30,000GVW. My 185hp, 11,000 pound Superduty shouldn't stress it at all, but it would stress the bank account a bit.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good ol' boy who gave me the brownie had it in his hippy bread truck for years. It's an underdrive, and he'd mounted it backwards for OD. He used it to split shifts apparently. The hippy bread truck was an old diesel step van that had delivered Wonderbread for years before he got it and turned it into a motor home.

The expensive but easier plan would be to put in a Gear Vendors OD. They claim their box can handle up to 1,200hp and 30,000GVW. My 185hp, 11,000 pound Superduty shouldn't stress it at all, but it would stress the bank account a bit.
What kind of bed does your F-Superduty have? 11,000 sounds light, is it a flat bed or dump bed? Or a service bed, like mine? How long is the bed?

The engine in my F-Superduty has a round hole in the 165 hp sticker on the valve cover, I thought all diesel F series cab and chassis trucks were detuned... could be wrong though. Mine is Canadian spec, has primary metric units and a daytime running light module. But that was unplugged. When I plugged it in, my running lights would not work at all, so I think it is bad. I will probably replace it at some point, I like DRL...

Last edited:

THSIM9

Reaction score
Pulled my engine to start on my build after some sort of mechanical failure during my move from AZ to ID last fall. I thought it was maybe a bad injector because I had a rough idle and some smoke. Got the valve cover on the right bank off, and discovered the failure. Looks like a piston & exhaust valve got in a fight and I lost.

Now I have to decide if I get this engine rebuilt, or if I buy a donor truck and put all my new CDD goodies on it. I’ve got a 110cc pump, stage 1 injectors, Stage 1 turbo and intercooler, head studs, and a bunch of little stuff.

That being said if anyone knows a reliable machine shop within a days drive of Boise I’m in the market!

Attachments

• IMG_4987.jpeg
    IMG_4987.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 14

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the front clip cleaned up. Put a Ford emblem on the grille, from the grey F350 parts truck, and new headlight assemblies and bulbs. One of the old headlights had a broken lens, and a cracked rear housing. One of the old bulbs was broken, the other was dim. So I put new bulbs in as well. These new assemblies have the chrome trim around the lenses, which is my preferred look.

Now just needs ‘custom’ emblems for the fenders, and ‘diesel’ emblem for the front. Also needs the bumper mounted properly…

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of bed does your F-Superduty have? 11,000 sounds light, is it a flat bed or dump bed? Or a service bed, like mine? How long is the bed?
It's been a while since I looked at the sticker - maybe it's 11,000 for just the rear end? It's a decent flatbed, probably 12 feet long? That one isn't on the road, and it hasn't moved since I started it up last year to put in the new parking area. I don't look at the rigs down in the new parking lot very often.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I looked at the sticker - maybe it's 11,000 for just the rear end? It's a decent flatbed, probably 12 feet long? That one isn't on the road, and it hasn't moved since I started it up last year to put in the new parking area. I don't look at the rigs down in the new parking lot very often.
Yes I believe the rears are 11,000.

I have a friend who has a second gen Dodge, with a 24 valve, 6 speed, 4WD dually, and an 11 foot flatbed. It is really handy, all kinds of room for fuel transfer tanks, and toolboxes, and still tons of room behind all that. Issue with the long frame Dodges of that era is, the frames are just not beefed up enough. The F350 cab and chassis frames that I have laying around are most definitely stouter. F-Superduty frame is on a whole ‘nother level…

Another issue, is that second gen era is when some genius in the engineering department thought decided that they should make the wheel studs out of MFing ALUMINUM!!! What the hell… why!? I can’t begin to understand it. Biggest problem is, the new Dodges are that way too… aluminum wheel studs… we replace them all the time…

The wheel studs on my second gen were aluminum originally, but I changed them to steel. Wish we would do that at work… would save lots of headaches… but I don’t know that they make steel wheel studs for the newer Dodges…

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I heard of Aluminum Wheel Studs. WOW!
Looks like some ham ****** guy with a big impact gun could twist them right off.

Think it was back in the 70,s that International Harvester used Aluminum front axles on their big semi trucks.

Edit:
F I S T E D is a bad word?
All these bad words Iam using, they will be sending me to sensitivity training.
Hope I didn`t offend someone.

Goat

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I am daily driving the old girl right now, I found my winter front and put it on. I haven't put it on since moving to Missouri. Seems like it might be useful over the next couple of weeks. We may actually get a bit of winter weather.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I heard of Aluminum Wheel Studs. WOW!
Looks like some ham ****** guy with a big impact gun could twist them right off.
Yep. Only 5 people are allowed to change a tire on the Dodges at work!
Think it was back in the 70,s that International Harvester used Aluminum front axles on their big semi trucks.
Interesting...
Edit:
F I S T E D is a bad word?
All these bad words Iam using, they will be sending me to sensitivity training.
Hope I didn`t offend someone.

Goat
The censorship is so random

ihc1470

Reaction score
Pulled my engine to start on my build after some sort of mechanical failure during my move from AZ to ID last fall. I thought it was maybe a bad injector because I had a rough idle and some smoke. Got the valve cover on the right bank off, and discovered the failure. Looks like a piston & exhaust valve got in a fight and I lost.

Now I have to decide if I get this engine rebuilt, or if I buy a donor truck and put all my new CDD goodies on it. I’ve got a 110cc pump, stage 1 injectors, Stage 1 turbo and intercooler, head studs, and a bunch of little stuff.

That being said if anyone knows a reliable machine shop within a days drive of Boise I’m in the market!
Is Lewiston to far for you to travel? I know of a very good machinist but I will have to check and see where he is now as he moved shops couple years ago. He has done several International diesel engines for me over the years just not a 6.9-7.3 although I know he has done them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.