So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright

Got my truck running today. Holy sh|t batman. This thing will burn the tires off in 2nd from just about any intersection. Sounds really good, kinda like an old Cat what with the lowered compression. And, without ether or glowplugs, starts like a 12V Cummins. Primed it, an it fired right up. Return rails don’t leak, we’ll see how well it starts in the cold tomorrow morning. Runs down the road just minty. Doesn’t smoke.

Muffler I ordered is back ordered, so it is loud, not terrible for downpipe only. Sounds good, but need to make it quieter.

The transmission doesn’t shift the best, but is getting better as I drive it.

Power steering fluid is low, not terribly noisy, but steering is too stiff, and the vacuum pump is weak, it’s the one off the 90, so I’ll just put the other one I have on and should be good to go.

I honestly couldn’t be happier, the electric lift pump is great too.

Just need to get things tidied up.

Hit a tree with my right CB antenna, messed it up. Darn.

Didn’t put the brush guard back on, as I plan to build a big full bumper replacement.

This thing just RUNS. RPM is a bit higher than I thought it’d be on the highway, 2000 at 65 mph, not bad, with 28.5” tires. Needs 31s. But, seems so happy on the highway, just singin down the road. Versus the NA 6.9, which struggled to hold 60 on hills. This, punch it up any hill, maxes out the speedometer plenty soon. It’s lighter, by 1200 lbs, and most definitely faster, than my Dodge. Awesome sauce.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI i can’t remember what you did? Is it in your build thread?

Dropped a turbo 7.3 in place of the 6.9?

And what did you do for priming? A grid heater....?
Turbo 7.3
Hypermax turbo with Wicked Wheel 2
Glowplugs deleted, replaced with short 10x1.0 mm plugs, CDD head gaskets, for lower compression.
Higher psi injectors from Russ
Turbo spec IP from Moose diesel
Return rails and ARP studs from R&D
It’s in my thread, but I need to update it. I should’ve taken more pictures.

I’m so syked, this truck seems entirely different.

Tranny seems to get better and shift smoother as I use it.

Currently no starting aids, it popped right off, without ether or glow plugs, since those are deleted. Probably will need just a huff of ether, in the morning, when cold. But cranked over maybe 5 or 6 revolutions on first start, and fired right up! Was about 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, but 40 in the morning, may need a huff.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo 7.3
Hypermax turbo with Wicked Wheel 2
Glowplugs deleted, replaced with short 10x1.0 mm plugs, CDD head gaskets, for lower compression.
Higher psi injectors from Russ
Turbo spec IP from Moose diesel
Return rails and ARP studs from R&D

I’m so syked, this truck seems entirely different.

Currently no starting aids, it popped right off, without ether or glow plugs, since those are deleted. Probably will need just a huff of ether, in the morning, when cold. But cranked over maybe 5 or 6 revolutions on first start, and fired right up! Was about 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, but 40 in the morning, may need a huff.
Seems backwards, with LOWER compression

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Muffler I ordered is back ordered, so it is loud, not terrible for downpipe only.
A turbo will muffle the exhaust to an extent.
It’s lighter, by 1200 lbs, and most definitely faster, than my Dodge. Awesome sauce.
-2 more for the Dodge!
You can still take pictures even though it's assembled. We're simple folks here and we love pictures.
That's good news.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well today after Carol got me home from my early morning out-patient kidney stent exchange surgery I decided to go work some more on my shop. Well that didn't work out so well...... Carol got to holloring at me, told me get in house & lay down!
Sooooo here I am wanting/needing work on my shop but not feeling like it, so I decided to turn Bessie around, park her there where she can look at & watch my shop all rest of the day, all nite, & maybe even into tomorrow morning!!!!!!~
That'll show'em!!!!
BTW tomorrow is a National Federal Holiday for everyone!!!! My 73rd Birthday!!!!!

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today after Carol got me home from my early morning out-patient kidney stent exchange surgery I decided to go work some more on my shop. Well that didn't work out so well...... Carol got to holloring at me, told me get in house & lay down!
Sooooo here I am wanting/needing work on my shop but not feeling like it, so I decided to turn Bessie around, park her there where she can look at & watch my shop all rest of the day, all nite, & maybe even into tomorrow morning!!!!!!~
That'll show'em!!!!
BTW tomorrow is a National Federal Holiday for everyone!!!! My 73rd Birthday!!!!!
Happy birthday

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI what do you think your compression ratio is?

Do you plan to try and use a grid heater or always just a snort?

Would the block heater warm it enough in the winter to not need ether?
Block heater probably would, ZIPTIESNBIASPLIES has what he calls spit swapping lines, so if I put the heavy duty precharged coolant in my Dodge, and hydraulic quick couplers on my heater hose, then I can pump 185* coolant into it, and then it should fire right up. I want to do that at some point.

Thinkin on ether shot injection as a permanent solution. Might go with grid heater instead, undecided as of yet.

I… think… about 19.5:1, wouldn’t be higher. Lower perhaps. Cranks very fast, less resistance on the starter. Maybe that explains why it starts so good? :dunno

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Block heater probably would, ZIPTIESNBIASPLIES has what he calls spit swapping lines, so if I put the heavy duty precharged coolant in my Dodge, and hydraulic quick couplers on my heater hose, then I can pump 185* coolant into it, and then it should fire right up. I want to do that at some point.

Thinkin on ether shot injection as a permanent solution. Might go with grid heater instead, undecided as of yet.

I… think… about 19.5:1, wouldn’t be higher. Lower perhaps. Cranks very fast, less resistance on the starter. Maybe that explains why it starts so good? :dunno
I honestly think the higher psi injectors, and higher flow IP, would help starting, especially the injectors…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726