So what did you do with your truck today?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this makes three times... I rebuilt it a few years ago (bearings and seals, complete disassembly); the second time was the last few days where I screwed up royally; and now this is the third time! :rolleyes:

I did the autopsy just now... the new oil pump had actually welded itself to the mainshaft, screwing up the journals and even fracturing the pump castings! (see pics below). It only took 1.5 miles of driving below 30 mph to do this... Not sure why this happened unless my oil pump arm mod was a hair too long and pushed the pump case against the shaft - or possibly I didn't get the pump centered properly although it felt correct at assembly and turned smoothly.

So now I need another new oil pump and arm, plus either a weld and remachine of two shaft journals plus boring/sleeving the inside of the chain drive gear, or just replace the mainshaft and the gear.
I just bought a complete assembly on ebay (oil pump, gear and shaft). Hope it's good, the pics on the listing looked ok.

The carnage:
You must be registered for see images attach

This is after I carefully ground off the welded material (hoping it would flake off). No such luck!
More to come ;)

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you pick the wrong person out the line up. This one is closer, but still not the same.

I dont think this one is it ether.

Pic 1 lift is at awkward angle and bed collapsed.

Pic 2 big as steel plate and lift is a hero.

Good recovery.;Sweet

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic 1 lift is at awkward angle and bed collapsed.

Pic 2 big as steel plate and lift is a hero.

Good recovery.;Sweet

Thanks and good catch, you cant find the weak point without trying. Still need to find a tackle block rated for at least 750lb, so the cable dose not drag on a shap edge.

I put added support on the underside as well.

R Squared

Reaction score
Took the truck on a 300 mile trip today picking up the new trans for the truck. Stole this ZF5-42 for $300, including the flywheel, flexplate, shifter, and even had a PTO bolted on the side.
I’m already looking into a pedal box for the clutch, and am gonna order the hydraulics side of the house here soon. Hopefully I can source a driveshaft from a CCLB truck that’ll work.

The C6 and US Gear under drive will be coming out and be listed once the swap is done to hopefully offset some cost.

Attachments

• IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2975.jpeg
    IMG_2975.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 14

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The (used) mainshaft assembly came in the mail this morning. I was pleased to see it also had the oil pump and chain drive gear still in place (guess the seller didn't feel like wrestling that snap ring off!) and also came with the (plastic) 2/4 shift fork in good shape :)

I also welded a piece of 5/16 rod to the end of the pump arm again, but this time I made sure it wasn't interfering anywhere or any binding, especially when I trial-fit the rear case half.

I just finished putting it all together except for final torquing the case bolts to 30 ft-lb and filling the ATF. It feels normal when I turn the output shaft by hand, and this time I checked to see that the 4WD engages and disengages properly ;)

It's been at least an hour so I think I will torque the bolts now, but wait until tomorrow before putting in the Mercon LV and dirt-road-testing. Crossing my fingers I did it all correctly... this time! ;Sweet

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Was checking things out under the hood and noticed this... Oh boy
Before you start worrying about replacing your radiator, check to see if the cap or even the overflow hose is leaking. I've seen both and they're both a cheap, simple fix. The leak may not be from either one, but it's sure worth checking out.

Thomas87

Reaction score
Bone dry around the cap and hoses while dripping steadily until it cools off. If I squeeze the upper rad hose I can see it bubble up from the seam in several spots