So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here’s a video of it working.
Those older 8ft plows are not light. Was on the F350 we loaded up. Why drag it around on a cherry picker when you have a winch?

Custom winch roller for trailer
You must be registered for see images attach

Most of yesterday was hanging out. I was sent an extra motorcraft glow plug in an order. Put it on a battery because was curious what a good glow time was. Was around 8 seconds. That was interesting because that’s the same time I do it on manual control that the black truck likes.

It's official! Tank and I are YouTube celebrities now LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well about an hour away from Hacked89's place I heard a horrible noise. It sounded like a blown tire, or maybe that loose fender had finally fallen off and was dragging against the tire? So I pulled off on the side of the two lane 65mph freeway, in the dark, on a hill.....

The freaking exhaust had fallen off and was dragging. The pipe had rotted just enough to pull out of the flange.

Mind you, I'm pretty darn sure this is the factory exhaust from 91. Here's where the pinion yoke had hit it and scrubbed some of the rust off.

So I limped it home 4hrs, quite often at the governor with essentially open headers. Got pretty lucky to get home without any cops pulling me over. It was LOUD. I feathered it best I could in towns to try to keep it down. I felt bad driving like that at 2am but didn't have a whole lot of other options.

The beast made it. Got home about 3am. It was a 4hr drive but I'm pretty sure it took 6 with the trailer and everything else. I'd be extremely tempted to slap my spare drivetrain in and run it if the frame wasn't toasted. Chains held great. Nothing budged and the chains stayed tight. Very pleased with that part of it.

More in my next post.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had big thoughts. I have a spare tailpipe that was on my "new" frame....

But I got home at 3am and I just don't feel like messing with it. Decided to just cut the bolts off the old flange and basically bypass that section of pipe. Bolted my glasspack back on. At least it has a muffler again, doesn't have to be perfect.

Here's what's left of the old flange.

I found these in the garage, this is why I can't bring myself to throw anything away LOL

It's less than ideal, but it'll work for now.

I noticed the front exhaust hanger is rotted away so all that was holding the exhaust was my fence wire exhaust hangers on the back LOL

Somehow I knew this was going to happen. I don't know how but I said to myself as I left home that I feel like my muffler is going to fall off.....

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I tested my injectors to see if they were making the bad noise. They were all good. I pulled the valve covers off and pulled rocker arms. They all looked great. Pushrods were perfect as well. Took off injection pump and lines, intake manifold and valley cover. Checked out the lifters, they are all good too. Which more or less narrows it down to a bad valve… so I’m about to pull the heads. I think this motor needs rebuilt. Tons of blowby, down on power, just not healthy. But I need to decide if I want to rebuild this motor or not. There is a 7.3 IDI with a turbo on it for sale 3 miles away from me, maybe I should buy that and put it in. Cheaper than a rebuild, and I saw it run and even have driven it. It was rebuilt 50,000 miles ago, but the truck itself has 430,000 miles on it and is falling apart. The price is good, so maybe that’s what I should be doing.

Another option is a 7.3 PowerStroke swap, I have seen it done, supposedly not hard to do. Then I could have better parts availability, and more power for same or less money. No computer control isn’t my preference but I like 7.3 PSD. Very good, I like them more than an IDI. But some people don’t, everyone has their own opinion.

But I am not so sure if I should be doing it this way. Perhaps just putting in a different motor, 6.9 or 7.3 IDI and the ZF5 and selling it would be a better option. I haul people all the time, what I really need is a crew cab. Even a gasser. Even a 2WD one. As long as it is a 83-03 Ford crew cab with a stick shift, I would be happy. That is what I need… sad though that my venture into my IDI could end just as quickly as it began. This may be a prelude to a goodbye, we will see…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm pretty darn sure this is the factory exhaust from 91.
It looks like it to me.
I feathered it best I could in towns to try to keep it down. I felt bad driving like that at 2am but didn't have a whole lot of other options.
I can understand that. On the other hand, I live a 1 1/2 blocks from the bar and it gets a little loud around 12-2 AM on Fridays and Saturdays from time to time. I occasionally like to give some back to them all the while hollering "wake up you F'ers!"
There is a 7.3 IDI with a turbo on it for sale 3 miles away from me, maybe I should buy that and put it in.
GO BUY IT!
The price is good, so maybe that’s what I should be doing.
If you don't I sure would! I wouldn't be upset if you gave me the info. I need something to do next weekend.
sad though that my venture into my IDI could end just as quickly as it began. This may be a prelude to a goodbye, we will see…
Only if you want it to be.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
GO BUY IT!

If you don't I sure would! I wouldn't be upset if you gave me the info. I need something to do next weekend.

I really do want to go buy it, but the truck around the motor is pretty well junk. I would scrap the rest. The guy is busy the next two weekends, going up to Wisconsin I think. I told him I’ll bring money first weekend in July and come get it. If something changes, I’ll let you know so that you can go get it.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want it to be, but the truck I have now just isn’t the truck I need. I didn’t expect alot out of it, it was only $900. I really need a crew cab, and not a clapped out one. I need a good, solid, reliable crew cab Ford. I would gladly buy a crew cab with an IDI in it. 7.3 PowerStroke would be my first choice, but if the right IDI crew cab came along, I’d buy it. Or even the right gasser crew cab. Just as long as it is a Ford with a stick shift. Only criteria. That’s all that is really necessary for me. E4OD and 4R100 trannys bother me, C6 doesn’t but they are just too inefficient. And I’m young enough that I still really really like stick.

I really appreciate all the opinions and suggestions on this forum, and all the knowledge that everyone here has.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@snicklas
Could we allow replies on this thread? It’s been three years of vetting and I would like to add an update that I think can increase precision

Last edited:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @hacked89 are you in the wrong thread? ;)

Today I got the transfer case oil pump parts, so I put the pump together on the mainshaft, then assembled everything in the front half of the case that is still bolted to the ZF5. That was easier said than done, because the usual oil pump mod (welding a 1.25" piece of 5/16" rod to the arm) came out a little too tall, so I kept getting out, grinding a bit off, getting back under, etc. Finally got it right!

Then I carefully cleaned both case halves with acetone, applied just the right amount of Ultra Black RTV, and mated them with no sliding around. (It's also fun to get that shift spring to stay in the right place while trying to hit the case dowels spot-on)... but at least I remembered all the internal pieces like the magnet! I snugged the bolts but plan to torque them tomorrow after the RTV cures. Repeat with the tailshaft housing (new oil seal), then the driveshaft goes back in.

I couldn't find anyone to solder, braze or weld Mg alloy, so I will repeat the process of cleaning, applying Permatex Aviation sealant to the plug and really small hairline crack, and cross my fingers ;)

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was yesterday, but I went out and dragged home one of the trucks I bought last winter. It's an '88 F250 Centurion 4x4 with an automatic...pretty sure it's a C6? The upholstery is faded, and so's the paint. It ran when they parked it 7 years ago. The only major problem with the interior is the steering column.

It has something odd on the exhaust pipe:

It has a little box labeled D-Cellerator on the dash, so I'm guessing it's a sort of exhaust brake? It has a gooseneck hitch in the bed, so it'd want extra braking!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online