So what did you do with your truck today?

bigdog

Reaction score
Started today with a install of injectors in my 86 F350 6.9 29k mi. The info that is on this site is priceless and very helpful. The removal and install info by Mel has been a blessing. This is my first venture into the 6.9 world. Followed all the instructions to the letter. Without his info on this I am sure that the outcome would be a little bit different. Installed IP with lines and found that this was a task to say the least with a after market turbo that was in the way all the way. Installed new return line kit. Every part was torqued to spec from the torque chart on the site. All went together better than i thought it would. The timing talked about in the info led me to inquire about this in my area. Seems as most shops are not sure what I am talking about. May need to contact a ford dealer or a international dealer to see if one of these shops can do this. Is there anyone close to NW Arkansas that can do the timing. Let me know if anyone is in this part of the world. It may be a while before I could make a trip to get this work done due to needing to get the brakes to work properly. While doing the work I found that the turbo return line going to the oil ban is leaking which is located above the oil filter housing. Had not noticed the leak before but with oil in the line it leaks a lot . This will need to be looked at before start up. I found out that the turbo that was installed back in the day had never had the IP turned up . Still had the tamper proof seal in place. I drove it a little around the property it ran , sounded good but did not run well. Any help on the timing would be grate.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the home page of this subforum, toward the top, left corner, right underneath where it says "6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels", there's a blue link the the IDI tech articles. Click on that link and scroll down to the thread named "timing registry". Look through that to see if any one is close enough to you so that you may go visit them in the future. Most diesel shops these days, as you've found out, have no idea how to even touch a diesel that you can't plug a scanner into. A ford dealership? You may get lucky and they'll have an older guy who used to work on these. I'd think that an International dealership would be a better bet, but that's not 100% certain these days either. I still think that your best bet may be someone on the timing registry.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our local international dealer got rid of that equipment years ago. You may get lucky but if you can't find anyone with the equipment it won't HURT it to drive with the timing off a little bit. You'll just be down on power. You can always mess with it little by little to get it close.

Getting your own equipment is a good investment if you plan on keeping it for a while.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to move mine out of the way to clear snow yesterday. It was -4F, and I doubted it would start, but it did with little effort. Last year I couldn’t get it to go below about 10F,, but the timing was way off. I fixed that over the summer so I think that’s why it starts better.

Then I got stuck in an unplowed parking lot (2wd). I was able to back out after digging a couple of trenches. No weight in the back and I don’t have my snow tires on yet. Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend!

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on monday i went to a friends house in New Jersey to deliver some snowblowers i fixed up and i delived some car parts i got from the junkyard and we put new shocks on my truck. old shocks were junk.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I went to Wal-Mart tonight to buy Christmas gifts for my niece and nephew. Nothing exciting happened there. On the way home, Bambi almost had a make out session with my grille. That sure gives a person a bad feeling in the nether regions.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixin fomoco'$ chintzy *** plastic dash mount for the fsv actuator switch....:frustrate

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I went to Wal-Mart tonight to buy Christmas gifts for my niece and nephew. Nothing exciting happened there. On the way home, Bambi almost had a make out session with my grille. That sure gives a person a bad feeling in the nether regions.
I am glad Bambi didn’t get lipstick on your grill or take a nap on your hood. :cool

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So am I. It was cold and the wind was blowing pretty hard. It had been snowing slightly a little bit before dark so, normally, he should have been hiding out of the wind. I'm guessing that something or someone disturbed him.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I was starting out to drive over in the 87 yesterday, and look at some 40/20/40 centurion front seats for the crew cab. A few miles into the drive, I was approaching a steep downhill with a stop sign halfway down, when I tap the brakes before the down hill, I had nothing but a rock solid brake pedal and very very little brakes. It took me 300’ to stop from 40mph and I barely made it. I was sticking out past the stop sign a few feet by the time I got it stopped, and I look to my left, and see a loaded triaxle dump truck doing 60 right where I almost ended up:hail.
So......I turned around and headed back...
I can always depend on my manual transmissions though:Thumbs Up....
I went down to Maryland to pickup the closest vacuum pump, and plan to get it in tomorrow.
This morning, I took the crew cab and bought those seats as well as proper mirrors and rust free front fenders.
I will be so happy to get rid of those crappy little car mirrors. I am going to get the seats cleaned, then I will stain the wood graining again and install them. They are super comfy, and I really like the console.

Rock
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the crew cab and bought those seats as well as proper mirrors and rust free front fenders.
I will be so happy to get rid of those crappy little car mirrors. I am going to get the seats cleaned, then I will stain the wood graining again and install them. They are super comfy, and I really like the console.

Rock

They look a lot like the ones in my dually. I love them but mine are in pretty rough shape and the local upholstery person doesn't want to touch them because the foam is beyond shot.

Yours look great! I'm sure you'll be happy with them!

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look a lot like the ones in my dually. I love them but mine are in pretty rough shape and the local upholstery person doesn't want to touch them because the foam is beyond shot.

Yours look great! I'm sure you'll be happy with them!
Confused... usually upholstry shops will cut/make replacement foam if the original is shot... seen it done several times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online