So what did you do with your truck today?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Found a cap at a junkyard for 100 bucks, gave it a sanding, some tape and three coats of rattle can satin black. Starting to look legit

You must be registered for see images attach
That's a nice cap. I have always liked the high top caps like that the best. When I first bought my f250, I bought a cab level Leer cap. I really liked it at first, but there was a big dent on the top that was leaking like crazy and not really repairable, so I moved on. I now have a STAHL utility cap on the truck, doesn't look as good as a fiberglass cap, but it makes up for it with the side boxes and later racks. When it comes to truck caps, you either love 'em, or ya hate 'em, and I wouldn't be without one. BTW, that is a really nice truck you got there!

Rock

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
That’s crazy! I’m pretty mad LOL. That was one of the cheapest estimates from a shop. There is a mobile guy I want to use if I ever do it again

The guy that did my tint told me that they hate hate hate doing these old trucks, so they will bid then high hoping you go away.

He did my car in about 1.5 hours and the truck took about 2.5 hours. When I went to take him some beverages he was grumbling about "$%#@$ wing windows".

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone rocking tint with a truck cap? I'm a little concerned if I tint my rear window I'll never bee able to see out the back when the cap is on

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
well.......................that didn't last long...............this F super duty (f450) 7.3 idi zf5 dump truck kind of fell in my lap,lol. I was looking for a crew cab, but I made the exception since it's got more capacity and I got a good deal on it. The oil and water are both mixed something terrible, but if it comes to it, I have a good 6.9 to swap in it. The guy I am buying it from was told it has a blown head gasket, and he never ran it. The truck is in pretty good shape for what it is.The dump bed will come in handy I'm sure. The only down fall is the seller removed the front wheel simulators.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I have heard, I am also leaning towards the oil cooler O rings. I will be extremely happy if that's all it is. What is the best way to test that? Thanks

Rock
I would say to run it for a while. If it runs good and there's no bubbles in the coolant, it's probably the o-rings. I'm not sure if you can get oil in the coolant from a bad head gasket. That's something else to check. make sure that the oil is nice and black. If it's gray, you have issues. I'm guessing that there's oil in the coolant and not the other way around which makes sense. There is almost always more pressure in the oil system than there is in the cooling system. That's why they mix in the cooling system and not the oil pan.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone rocking tint with a truck cap? I'm a little concerned if I tint my rear window I'll never bee able to see out the back when the cap is on

Yes. It in one of the daily drivers. It's the 11 SurperCrew in my sig. The truck has factory tint and the rear glass in the topper is tinted. It does limit night visibility.... but honestly it's no worse than my Excursion with the factory tint.....

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO what size was that hub nut? I am doing brakes and I got the wrong size from napa in their final hour today.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO what size was that hub nut? I am doing brakes and I got the wrong size from napa in their final hour today.
The number on the socket is: K-D 3246. I assume that it's from K-D Tools. It did come from a NAPA store back in late 2005 or early 2006. I hate that particular store because they're pretty high priced on all of their stuff. This cost me about $45 back then so I keep a pretty close eye on it.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I would say to run it for a while. If it runs good and there's no bubbles in the coolant, it's probably the o-rings. I'm not sure if you can get oil in the coolant from a bad head gasket. That's something else to check. make sure that the oil is nice and black. If it's gray, you have issues. I'm guessing that there's oil in the coolant and not the other way around which makes sense. There is almost always more pressure in the oil system than there is in the cooling system. That's why they mix in the cooling system and not the oil pan.
The oil and the coolant are both gray. I don't think it was ran much after the oil and coolant started to mix, so I'm hoping the motor isn't toast. Also, the coolant level was really low and the oil was diluted pretty bad. The oil is gray and reads halfway up the dipstick! I don't know what is causing this.

Rock

Last edited:

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The number on the socket is: K-D 3246. I assume that it's from K-D Tools. It did come from a NAPA store back in late 2005 or early 2006. I hate that particular store because they're pretty high priced on all of their stuff. This cost me about $45 back then so I keep a pretty close eye on it.

Thanks, I went an got a 2 3/8 (not the right size) for 17.99 and I kept it clean.
Napa ain't the cheapest, for me jts closest

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely o rings in cooler. The coolant has drained into the oil pan. I don’t think a head gaskets would drain that much coolant. The oil cooler is low enough to though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.