So what did you do with your truck today?

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys and gals, I seem to have run across a problem, I drove my 88 7.3 IDI around the back roads for a drive a week or so ago, knowing I needed fuel, because I was at the 400 mile mark I fueled up both tanks, on the way back to my house, just a few miles away, one of my neighbors stopped me to say there is fuel pouring outta my rear tank fill, (I was running on rear tank)
I go back as think *** ! Well anyways I released the fuel cap and out gushes around a gallon of fuel. Well I anyways I go to Montana for a Funeral, today I decide to start the truck (rear fuel tank), no problem, i let it idle in driveway for 5-10 mins, come out and see fuel coming out of rear fuel cap again and released fuel cap same thing happened. The only thing I can think is the pressure valve on top of the tank. Been looking at doing a 38 gal tank, this just may be the time. So what does anybody think the problem is? Just to add it runs fine on both tanks, and dosnt do it on the front tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys and gals, I seem to have run across a problem, I drove my 88 7.3 IDI around the back roads for a drive a week or so ago, knowing I needed fuel, because I was at the 400 mile mark I fueled up both tanks, on the way back to my house, just a few miles away, one of my neighbors stopped me to say there is fuel pouring outta my rear tank fill, (I was running on rear tank)
I go back as think *** ! Well anyways I released the fuel cap and out gushes around a gallon of fuel. Well I anyways I go to Montana for a Funeral, today I decide to start the truck (rear fuel tank), no problem, i let it idle in driveway for 5-10 mins, come out and see fuel coming out of rear fuel cap again and released fuel cap same thing happened. The only thing I can think is the pressure valve on top of the tank. Been looking at doing a 38 gal tank, this just may be the time. So what does anybody think the problem is? Just to add it runs fine on both tanks, and dosnt do it on the front tank.

It sounds to me like your return line is stuck sending fuel to the rear tank. Do you have an electric lift pump?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My guess would be that you FSV stuck part way. I think you're pulling fuel from your front tank but returning it to the rear tank. Mine was doing this so I bypassed it. I'm only running on the front tank for now. The rear has a leak in it and I'll replace it with a 38 gallon one someday. When this happened to me, I used about 3/4 of a tank in 94 miles.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fuel in the tank is below the level of the fill tube, it's not going to spit out of the fill tube when you remove the cap.

Only pressure will escape,

What is the level of the front tank when you switch it to the front tank? Is it lower than it should be?

Then I think the fuel part of the selector switch is stuck. But not the return part.

You may be running off of the front tank, and returning to the rear tank, when the selector switch on the dash is set for the rear tank.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fuel in the tank is below the level of the fill tube, it's not going to spit out of the fill tube when you remove the cap.

Only pressure will escape,

What is the level of the front tank when you switch it to the front tank? Is it lower than it should be?

Then I think the fuel part of the selector switch is stuck. But not the return part.

You may be running off of the front tank, and returning to the rear tank, when the selector switch on the dash is set for the rear tank.
I found that when the selector switch is on the rear tank is when this happen.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This exact thing happened to me. The selector valve for sure. It’s returning fuel to the wrong tank.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that you FSV stuck part way. I think you're pulling fuel from your front tank but returning it to the rear tank. Mine was doing this so I bypassed it. I'm only running on the front tank for now. The rear has a leak in it and I'll replace it with a 38 gallon one someday. When this happened to me, I used about 3/4 of a tank in 94 miles.
No prius needed!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found that when the selector switch is on the rear tank is when this happen.

Yup.

Like I said, turn the selector switch to the rear tank.

Selector switch remains on the front tank for pickup, but switches to rear tank on the return.

Now, your SWITCH says you are running on your rear tank, but you are actually running on the front tank, and returning to the rear tank.

If it was just a vent problem...

You are running on therear tank, and returning to the rear tank, but building pressure in that tank.

As long as there is enough fuel in the tank, to be above the filler tube, then weh you remove the cap, fuel will come out.

Once the fuel level in the tank goes down to just below th top edge of the filler tube, then when you remove the cap, only pressure will be released, no fuel.

If you have been driving for a while on that rear tank, and it just keeps spitting fuel, then something is raising the fuel level in the tank, and NOT taking any fuel out of the tank.

The two clues you would have for this are...

The tank just keeps spitting a lot of fuel, when you remove the cap.

And the fuel level in the front tank is lower than it should be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online