Snap-On MT480 timing meter

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
found this on my local CL. unless one of you guys convince him otherwise it will be mine this Saturday :-D

it is complete hopefully working

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/4306885426.html

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv got two of those.love 'em.both magnetic pickups went though,so now neither work.i don't see it in his pics.

attachment.php

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I agree with FordF250HDXLT, I do not see the pulse clamp or the magnetic pickup, I prefer the pulse method, I do not like to remove a glow plug to time and I think I read here somewhere that the pulse method is more accurate than the lummy method, not sure though, my memory is not so good anymore.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I can rent one from Icanfixall locally but would love to have one eventually. Nice looking setup.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no piezo clamp for getting a signal from the fuel lines with the MT480.she only times via the luminosity probes.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
The pulse method vs lumi is a big debate. In my eyes the pulse is naturally retarded since it reads the pulse of the Injector line being pressurized and releasing. Lumi probe seeing the actual combustion...

I sent the link to towcat and was also only worried about the crank sensor. He said he saw it wrapped around the unit but I dont

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
On Saturday ill be picking it up ill probably prep my truck for testing it (cleaning crank pulley) and bring tools to make sure it works

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well its mine and it works!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a lot to pay for a meter that will only time by luminosity probe timing and.. no parts are available nor does snapon service it. I do have several lumi probes if your breaks down but I don't have any mag probes for this meter. what I do with my rental meters is supply 3 business cards taped together. they slide under the timing tab on the dampner and the mag probe is pushed in till it touches them. That way you have about the perfect space from the rotating dampner. clean out the probe location that the mag probe fits in so you get a better signal. also clean out the dampner machined zero mark so there is a good interruption of the magnetic pulse from the dampner. Your correct Towcat. Your sharp eyes saw what was not really pictured well about the mag probe. but having a meter like this helps to identify the parts is a bad pic. Good luck with the new to you meter. Its a wonderful feeling to have the ability to time your engine when ever you want. Instead of hoping like hell some shop in town can do it for you. and we already know nobody is willing to time these engines any longer outside of me. Well there is Russ in Oregon, Mel in Pa and Al up in Canada oe me renting meters. At this time I have 2 meters available. A pm is whats needed to start the process.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Thats a lot to pay for a meter that will only time by luminosity probe timing and.. no parts are available nor does snapon service it. I do have several lumi probes if your breaks down but I don't have any mag probes for this meter. what I do with my rental meters is supply 3 business cards taped together. they slide under the timing tab on the dampner and the mag probe is pushed in till it touches them. That way you have about the perfect space from the rotating dampner. clean out the probe location that the mag probe fits in so you get a better signal. also clean out the dampner machined zero mark so there is a good interruption of the magnetic pulse from the dampner. Your correct Towcat. Your sharp eyes saw what was not really pictured well about the mag probe. but having a meter like this helps to identify the parts is a bad pic. Good luck with the new to you meter. Its a wonderful feeling to have the ability to time your engine when ever you want. Instead of hoping like hell some shop in town can do it for you. and we already know nobody is willing to time these engines any longer outside of me. Well there is Russ in Oregon, Mel in Pa and Al up in Canada oe me renting meters. At this time I have 2 meters available. A pm is whats needed to start the process.

Who said I paid full price? ;-) I don't mind because it being obsolete. It was well a one owner tool thats in great shape.

I already have 3 luminosity probes